Glasgow - The World's Greatest City - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glasgow - The World's Greatest City

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Did you not give the wee wheelchair beggar man 50p for drugs a cup of tea then ?

I always give them a Gregg's sausage roll instead

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/people-places/edinburgh-slavery-map-offers-glimpse-into-city-s-dark-past-1-4209670

Shameful. And as always they think their shite does not stink.

https://stv.tv/news/features/1364494-the-interactive-map-highlighting-edinburgh-s-role-in-the-slave-trade/

"Edinburgh had the most claims in the country and certainly more than Glasgow, however, there were also many claims from the north east of Scotland."

Oh dear... Edinburgh's shame indeed.

This and the lack of a metro is damning.

It just gets worse and worse the more you look into it. Thanks biffer for highlighting just how bad Edinburgh was involved in the slave trade - easily Scotland's most shameful city...

SCOTLAND had one of the highest proportion of slave owners to the general populous of any nation during the 18th century, with people in Edinburgh twice as likely to own a slave as a person in Glasgow or London during the same period. In Edinburgh, one in 1,238 had connections to plantations compared to London where it was one in 1,721 people in the city.

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/8980/scottish-slavery-map-plotting-out-scotlands-past

Edited by thplinth

Glasgow is a fantastic city - not quite up there with Edinburgh but its night life is better and so is the shopping (the wife said that anyway).

worst thing about Glasgow is all the folk who go on about how great it is.

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/people-places/edinburgh-slavery-map-offers-glimpse-into-city-s-dark-past-1-4209670

Shameful. And as always they think their shite does not stink.

https://stv.tv/news/features/1364494-the-interactive-map-highlighting-edinburgh-s-role-in-the-slave-trade/

"Edinburgh had the most claims in the country and certainly more than Glasgow, however, there were also many claims from the north east of Scotland."

Oh dear... Edinburgh's shame indeed.

This and the lack of a metro is damning.

It just gets worse and worse the more you look into it. Thanks biffer for highlighting just how bad Edinburgh was involved in the slave trade - easily Scotland's most shameful city...

SCOTLAND had one of the highest proportion of slave owners to the general populous of any nation during the 18th century, with people in Edinburgh twice as likely to own a slave as a person in Glasgow or London during the same period. In Edinburgh, one in 1,238 had connections to plantations compared to London where it was one in 1,721 people in the city.

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/8980/scottish-slavery-map-plotting-out-scotlands-past

Aye, slavery is Scotland's hidden shame. Glasgow and Edinburgh both at it, and that slave map shows owners all over the country. All of our cities were built on it.

5 hours ago, Reevesy said:

I always give them a Gregg's sausage roll instead

But what do you do if you give him it and he says he's a vegetarian ? ;)

Or he wants a steak bake instead .........

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

Glasgow is a fantastic city - not quite up there with Edinburgh but its night life is better and so is the shopping (the wife said that anyway).

worst thing about Glasgow is all the folk who go on about how great it is.

Glasgow's pure dead brilliant byraway :ok:

On 17/05/2017 at 4:16 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Is Glasgow (Georgie Sq in particular) on a hot, sunny day not just the finest place to be on earth ?

No.

Embra, Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth - can you beat it ?

No, Yes, No, No.

Don't you love Glasgow ?

I'm bred, so let's see who bites shall we ?

No.

6 hours ago, biffer said:

Aye, slavery is Scotland's hidden shame. Glasgow and Edinburgh both at it, and that slave map shows owners all over the country. All of our cities were built on it.

No no no. It is Edinburgh's hidden shame most obviously. More slave owners per head of population than anywhere else. More than London and far more than Glasgow. I am so glad you have raised this.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Well you would not want be a human body in Edinburgh without a beating heart for sure.. the body snatching fhucks that they are. ;)

Dont dis my poetry. Hell hath no fury like a menopausal mother ?

15 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Dont dis my poetry. Hell hath no fury like a menopausal mother ?

There once was a menopausal mother,
Who had a Jersian brother
She composed the odd ode
But her output plateaued
And now she hunts thplinth to smother

1 hour ago, Flure said:

She composed the odd ode
But her output plateaued

?, you are ao full of ( rhyming) shit .

On 18/05/2017 at 5:56 PM, TDYER63 said:

If Scotland was a human body Glasgow would be the beating heart. Its heart may have a lower life expectancy than other parts of the country but it lives it to the full . I unashamedly love Glasgow. 

I pretty much agree with that, I also don't like Edinburgh as much as I used to after you and your hubby made us spend more time walking than actually drinking a couple of weeks ago. You are forgiven tho as the mighty Murn got the point we desired x 

22 hours ago, Flure said:

She composed the odd ode
But her output plateaued

What an honour. Thank you Flure.

22 hours ago, Flure said:

She composed the odd ode
But her output plateaued