Glasgow - The World's Greatest City - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glasgow - The World's Greatest City

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

I pretty much agree with that, I also don't like Edinburgh as much as I used to after you and your hubby made us spend more time walking than actually drinking a couple of weeks ago. You are forgiven tho as the mighty Murn got the point we desired x 

I suppose if you call a pub crawl from Rose st to Leith , and back, 'walking' then guilty as charged ?

David Livingstone was not  a weegie! (Though educated there.)

Liked the Italian music for water skiing on Lago di Lomondo.   Then Largs & Gourock crop up... "to the Glaswegian all the Clyde is home".

Aye well.   Still enjoyed it, cheers ET!

1 hour ago, jockodile said:

Is naebody giving Perth a call out?

Scone palace where our royals were crowned.

Wtf James VIII never through with that in 1715 is beyond me, symbolism would have been huge.

I'm born and bred Perth. It's a cowp. Too many snobby English cvnts who have bought every local out of the market. Too many of the "Not in my City" brigade who aren't even from Perth. @saintydave works in the bar where down in the cellar King James was malkied.

Edited by Ormond

I'd like to see Glasgow looking forward more than back. For some reason they have turned half of the city centre into conservation areas. Glasgow is a working city not a museum. Forcing people in govan to apply for planning permission to replace their windows and banning pvc in place of wood at more than double the cost is a sick joke.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17163

3 hours ago, Mee said:

I'd like to see Glasgow looking forward more than back. For some reason they have turned half of the city centre into conservation areas. Glasgow is a working city not a museum. Forcing people in govan to apply for planning permission to replace their windows and banning pvc in place of wood at more than double the cost is a sick joke.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17163

Good !

Particularly in the city centre a heartbreaking amount of Glasgow's well constructed Georgian and Victorian public buildings and private dwellings were swept away during the sixties and seventies in the name of "progress" and it's ugly grey concrete face. Places like the Tolbooth and Provand's Lordship (Glasgow's last medieval building) only just managed to survive the City Chamber's mad thirst for "progress".

Queen Street Station looked lovely before they extended the hotel next to it.

On 18 May 2017 at 5:56 PM, TDYER63 said:

If Scotland was a human body Glasgow would be the beating heart. Its heart may have a lower life expectancy than other parts of the country but it lives it to the full .

Rather good that. Meaningless really, but nice all the same.

By pure chance chance I'm currently reading McIlvanney's Laidlaw again and stumbled on the following line: "Glasgow folk have to be nice people. Otherwise, they would have burned the place to the ground years ago."

Glasgow has a feel of a big city with no limits.

You can stand on a street corner with the grid of streets going to the horizons and great views of hills around...

Edinburgh never had an 'underground' in the conventional sense but it once had an underground railway line running north from Waverley to Leith and Granton, going north under St Andrew Square, Scotland St etc. At Granton it apparently connected to a ferry that took trains on to Fife... 

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/s/scotland_street_tunnel/index.shtml

Maybe someday they could reopen it as a metro or tram line?

1 hour ago, Pool Q said:

Rather good that. Meaningless really, but nice all the same.

By pure chance chance I'm currently reading McIlvanney's Laidlaw again and stumbled on the following line: "Glasgow folk have to be nice people. Otherwise, they would have burned the place to the ground years ago."

? , yes, it one of the most meaningful, meaningless things I have created in my life.

McIlvaney was probably correct in his description but Its amazing how much Glasgow has improved . I was in Finnieston early last night and was quite impressed by it. I am usually only in that area for a quick drink before going to the Secc/Hydro but had something to eat and there were a few decent  restaurants. Just hope it doesnt go too Hooray Henry though, Glasgow's grittiness and variety of people are a large part of its appeal. To me anyway. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

? , yes, it one of the most meaningful, meaningless things I have created in my life.

McIlvaney was probably correct in his description but Its amazing how much Glasgow has improved . I was in Finnieston early last night and was quite impressed by it. I am usually only in that area for a quick drink before going to the Secc/Hydro but had something to eat and there were a few decent  restaurants. Just hope it doesnt go too Hooray Henry though, Glasgow's grittiness and variety of people are a large part of its appeal. To me anyway. 

I should have put the McIlvanney quote into some sort of context. It comes from a (very, very good) book written in the mid to late 1970s, and he is talking about how people had been 'dumped' in estates like Drumchapel and Easterhouse on the outskirts of the city.

1 hour ago, exile said:

Glasgow has a feel of a big city with no limits.

You can stand on a street corner with the grid of streets going to the horizons and great views of hills around...

Edinburgh never had an 'underground' in the conventional sense but it once had an underground railway line running north from Waverley to Leith and Granton, going north under St Andrew Square, Scotland St etc. At Granton it apparently connected to a ferry that took trains on to Fife... 

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/s/scotland_street_tunnel/index.shtml

Maybe someday they could reopen it as a metro or tram line?

The views from Garnethill, the top of Buchanan St and St Vincent's Place are mighty braw indeed. B)

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Good !

Particularly in the city centre a heartbreaking amount of Glasgow's well constructed Georgian and Victorian public buildings and private dwellings were swept away during the sixties and seventies in the name of "progress" and it's ugly grey concrete face. Places like the Tolbooth and Provand's Lordship (Glasgow's last medieval building) only just managed to survive the City Chamber's mad thirst for "progress".

Queen Street Station looked lovely before they extended the hotel next to it.

Good plan. Force people to live in cold damp houses so it looks nice for tourists. If the city father's want to freeze a city Scape in the 1900s then they should pay for it

Just now, Mee said:

Good plan. Force people to live in cold damp houses so it looks nice for tourists. If the city father's want to freeze a city Scape in the 1900s then they should pay for it

Not all but most of the old buildings just needed thorough repair work and modern electric and gas fitted. They didn't need to be torn down. Structurally most were still perfectly sound. It would have cost them a lot less in the long term too.

Plenty of these shitey high rise flats they put up had problems with dampness and the cold too. In fact how many only stayed up for thirty or forty years before the occupants had to be re-housed elsewhere and the eyesores dynamited ? 

My cousin lived for three years in a refurbished old tenement in Dennistoun and had no problem at all living there. Then spent  two years living in a modern (circa 2000) apartment block in Cathcart, every week they were on the phone to the factor because of the leaks and temperamental electrics.

31 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Got to love a British Transport Film :)

They are indeed strangely engrossing little films. Would they have played them as "fillers" at cinemas ?

I enjoyed "Coasts of Clyde", "Elizabethan Express" and "Blue Pullman". The latter has a strange kind of hypnotic feel about it.

19 hours ago, Ormond said:

I'm born and bred Perth. It's a cowp. Too many snobby English cvnts who have bought every local out of the market. Too many of the "Not in my City" brigade who aren't even from Perth. @saintydave works in the bar where down in the cellar King James was malkied.

Just like Edinburgh then. Full of pricks. 

12 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

They are indeed strangely engrossing little films. Would they have played them as "fillers" at cinemas ?

I enjoyed "Coasts of Clyde", "Elizabethan Express" and "Blue Pullman". The latter has a strange kind of hypnotic feel about it.

Yeah they would have been pre features for the cinemas I expect. I had the "Doon The Watter" compilation with a few of them on it, can't remember if it was on DVD or VHS it's so long ago.

Meant to say it's Phil "pea and ham fae a chicken?" McCall who's the taxi driver in the Glasgow film.