The Greatest - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

9 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

End of the day, it comes down to what your name's associated with ...

The Pele Droop

The Ronaldo Preen

The Cruyff Turn

The Maradona Cheating-Dirty-Handballing-Ba$tard-Incident

The Zidane Moment-of-Madness

The Messi Airline-Ad

The Beckenbauer Backhander

The Bobby Moore tea-leafer.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems a crazy one, but some of the single greatest "plays" i've seen have been from dennis bergkamp

A lot of modern players are so much faster than before, it's athleticism that's getting them there. Messi runs faster with the ball than an NFL cornerback just sprinting. Crazy acceleration that just didn;t exist way back.

Edited by phart

5 minutes ago, phart said:

Seems a crazy one, but some of the single greatest "plays" i've seen have been from dennis bergkamp

His goals v Newcastle, Argentina, and Leicester (the one at Filbert street) are right up there among my favourites.

He was one of my favourites growing up, got his autograph at France 98 too (cool story bro)

Edit: Forgot to add the goal at Roker Park v Sunderland too. Ridiculous skill

Edited by Reevesy

2 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Cool, and the other 13 red cards?

If cards were dished out in the 60s the way they are thrown around like sweeties now, then you'd see a heck of a lot more historic legends with higher crime counts.

6 hours ago, dan cake said:

maybe not the greatest but probably the best of my generation before messi and ron came along

I was at the Italy v Scotland game in Rome in 1993. I basically watched Baggio all night as everything Italy did went through him. 

On the original question, Maradona for me. 

5 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

End of the day, it comes down to what your name's associated with ...

The Maradona Cheating-Dirty-Handballing-Ba$tard-Incident

:lol::lol: That one incident almost made me promote him to number 1, but not quite.:lol:

6 hours ago, phart said:

Why?

Because of its jaw-dropping, reputation-destroying, likely match-throwing, cretinous stupidity. It's also the only explanation for David Beckham's mysterious failure to make it onto anyone's list so far ... 

8 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Because of its jaw-dropping, reputation-destroying, likely match-throwing, cretinous stupidity. It's also the only explanation for David Beckham's mysterious failure to make it onto anyone's list so far ... 

Beckham was good, but the best player you guys have had in my lifetime has been Scholes, but he was a ginger recluse, so he never got the hype/praise he deserved. Doesnt get near Zidane in my dream team though.

14 hours ago, dan cake said:

Cool, and the other 13 red cards?

Are not really a major issue. 

I'm not saying he's the greatest, I just agreed with Reevesy on the point that the red card in the final doesn't outweigh all of the skill and mastery shown before. 

Personally Pele was and probably always will be the greatest. 

If you've not won the World Cup then you can't claim to be the greatest player ever. Face it Maradona inspired Argentina to their 2nd win and Zidane was at the heart of France's. 

However only Pele could claim to have managed that feat 3 times. 

19 hours ago, Reevesy said:

17 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Because of its jaw-dropping, reputation-destroying, likely match-throwing, cretinous stupidity. 

It's like saying Schumacher isn't the best cause he ran Damon Hill off the road. Or Senna and Prost doing it to each other in consecutive years.

How about Viktor Korchnoi and Karpov booting each other during a world championship chess match.

I'm not sure events after ones peak reach back into time and affect the quality of ones peak.

10 minutes ago, Bannannan said:

Pele was always my Nr 1 till what Maradona achieved in Naples.His performances there were unbelievable.

Aye, some energy on him. You'd have thought he was on something half the time. ;)

15 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

If you've not won the World Cup then you can't claim to be the greatest player ever.

Why should that be the case? The 'title' is for an individual in the context of a team, not the team itself. Best could have been n x better than he was, as close to footballing perfection as it's possible to be, and he'd never have won a world cup.

6 hours ago, phart said:

It's like saying Schumacher isn't the best cause he ran Damon Hill off the road. Or Senna and Prost doing it to each other in consecutive years.

How about Viktor Korchnoi and Karpov booting each other during a world championship chess match.

I'm not sure events after ones peak reach back into time and affect the quality of ones peak.

No, it's not like saying that - because they're not team sports in the footballing sense. The F1 examples were all in pursuit of individual world titles and, in the context of the championship, could be seen as aiding that pursuit. Zidane's headbutt had the opposite effect. Since neither Korchnoi nor Karpov are generally considered 'the greatest' it's a rather moot point, anyway.

And I don't buy the 'peak' argument either. What's the approved duration? If it's 10 seconds, let's give the title to McFadden. It should be over a career in football, which is why the correct answer is Cruyff - the only contender with an outstanding managerial record.