The Greatest - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Why should that be the case? The 'title' is for an individual in the context of a team, not the team itself. Best could have been n x better than he was, as close to footballing perfection as it's possible to be, and he'd never have won a world cup.

No, it's not like saying that - because they're not team sports in the footballing sense. The F1 examples were all in pursuit of individual world titles and, in the context of the championship, could be seen as aiding that pursuit. Zidane's headbutt had the opposite effect. Since neither Korchnoi nor Karpov are generally considered 'the greatest' it's a rather moot point, anyway.

And I don't buy the 'peak' argument either. What's the approved duration? If it's 10 seconds, let's give the title to McFadden. It should be over a career in football, which is why the correct answer is Cruyff - the only contender with an outstanding managerial record.

So in your personal criteria the "Greatest" must have a good managerial record? Other folk have set a criteria that the "greatest" needs to have won the World Cup.

Hmmmmm... I wonder which one sounds daftest?

To be considered The Greatest you need to have won and performed at the highest level - which means club and country - weekly league and tournament football.

It's widely accepted that France's 98 and Argentina's 86 World Cup winning teams were built around one player and that they wouldn't have won the tournament without Zidane and Maradonna respectively.

The fact that Messi has yet to take his club form with Barcelona into a World Cup with Argentina will always put him in Maradonna's shadow.

So I'd go with

1. Pele

2. Maradonna

3. Zidane

If you put Messi back into Maradona's time how would he do getting kicked to pieces and with the tackling Maradonna faced? 

How would Maradonna do if you put into Messi's time were defenders hardly touch you in comparison?

Even Ronaldo (who I dislike) is probably ahead of Messi due to the Euro success on his honours list. Take away the honours and just line them up and say which is the best footballer, Messi for me, but not the greatest footballer (yet).

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

So in your personal criteria the "Greatest" must have a good managerial record? Other folk have set a criteria that the "greatest" needs to have won the World Cup.

Hmmmmm... I wonder which one sounds daftest?

I know, I keep trying to tell them but no one seems to listen to me ...

Actually, my key personal criterion is that 'the greatest' must be Johan Cruyff. Not a hard one to fulfil, provided you're Johan Cruyff.

56 minutes ago, thplinth said:

If you put Messi back into Maradona's time how would he do getting kicked to pieces and with the tackling Maradonna faced? 

How would Maradonna do if you put into Messi's time were defenders hardly touch you in comparison?

Even Ronaldo (who I dislike) is probably ahead of Messi due to the Euro success on his honours list. Take away the honours and just line them up and say which is the best footballer, Messi for me, but not the greatest footballer (yet).

Messi has been kicked since the minute he became a pro. This argument hat Messi has somehow never ever been on the end of rough treatment is a complete fallacy, he's been kicked in every stadium he has played in.

Using international football as the bar for how good a player is, is so old fashioned. International football is predominantly guff these days, it's all about club football which is punishing in terms of it's relentlessness and Messi has redefined club football and the role of a striker. Maradonna was the best player in the world for 5 odd years, Messi has been the best player in the world for 10 years plus.

38 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

I know, I keep trying to tell them but no one seems to listen to me ...

Actually, my key personal criterion is that 'the greatest' must be Johan Cruyff. Not a hard one to fulfil, provided you're Johan Cruyff.

:lol:

But he hasn't won the World Cup. ;) He couldn't even be bothered going to the one in 78. Nae commitment.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

It really gives you a great indication of the amount of old duffers on this board. Pele and Maradonna being better than Messi is f u cking laughable.

If it wasn't for old duffers on this board you would be speaking to yourself.;)

Are you too young to remember Pele?

4 hours ago, Mox said:

It really gives you a great indication of the amount of old duffers on this board. Pele and Maradonna being better than Messi is f u cking laughable.

Almost as laughable as putting Riquelme in your Top 3 of all time

5 hours ago, Goozay said:

To be considered The Greatest you need to have won and performed at the highest level - which means club and country - weekly league and tournament football.

It's widely accepted that France's 98 and Argentina's 86 World Cup winning teams were built around one player and that they wouldn't have won the tournament without Zidane and Maradonna respectively.

The fact that Messi has yet to take his club form with Barcelona into a World Cup with Argentina will always put him in Maradonna's shadow.

So I'd go with

1. Pele

2. Maradonna

3. Zidane

You could also argue that the Champions League is a far bigger tournament than a World Cup now. 

50 minutes ago, Mox said:

Easily in that top 3, never seen a man play football so beautifully as him.

I used to love watching that style of play. And Riquelme was probably the best ever in that role. That 2006 Argentina team were fantastic and he was the maestro in that team. I might be persuaded to put him above Messi but neither are in the same category as Pele and Maradona, IMO. 

If I had to pick a number 3, I would probably go with Ronaldo.