Richest game in football - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Richest game in football

Well done mate was pleased that you went up I remember a few years back when Bournemouth played Huddersfield doon here think that was league one how things have changed for both clubs especially Bournemouth when the fans where holding buckets outside the ground to survive has a club 

7 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Fantastic stuff, that's what it's all about! Delighted for you! ??

Careful on here though, some people may criticise you for sharing such momentous occasions with your son ?

Or your Wife. B)

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Bloody good show :ok:

A very proud day for the town of Huddersfield surely. As others have already posted, it's always good to see a club with devoted local supporters who've seen their team through some very dark times make their return to top division football. Ahead of teams such as Fulham, Leeds, Villa and Derby too.

You just missed out on the Premier League play offs about the mid 1990s did you not not ?

Yes we did - it was actually 2000. I think we ended 1999 top of the second tier (whatever it was called back then). Steve Bruce was our manager & decided that our top scorer, Marcus Stewart, was not Premier League standard & sold him to Ipswich. We then had a nightmare few months. I remember being at Fulham for our last match where a draw would have nicked a play-off place. We lost 3-0, and Ipswich went up. Guess who was the PL top scorer the year after?

Within 3 years of that, we were in administration, rattling buckets, dropped to the bottom tier, & in effect we were bought out by the Rugby League team we ground share with. A couple of years later, when Dean Hoyle took over he made what seemed like a hysterically funny promise that any ST holder that year, who bought one every subsequent year, could have one for £100 if we ever hit the Prem, so I'm even getting a rebate. 

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

Yes we did - it was actually 2000. I think we ended 1999 top of the second tier (whatever it was called back then). Steve Bruce was our manager & decided that our top scorer, Marcus Stewart, was not Premier League standard & sold him to Ipswich. We then had a nightmare few months. I remember being at Fulham for our last match where a draw would have nicked a play-off place. We lost 3-0, and Ipswich went up. Guess who was the PL top scorer the year after?

Within 3 years of that, we were in administration, rattling buckets, dropped to the bottom tier, & in effect we were bought out by the Rugby League team we ground share with. A couple of years later, when Dean Hoyle took over he made what seemed like a hysterically funny promise that any ST holder that year, who bought one every subsequent year, could have one for £100 if we ever hit the Prem, so I'm even getting a rebate. 

:lol: That's brilliant - all of it.

Congratulations, Huddersfield. Well pleased for you - especially as Rovers managed to take the gloss off their promotion by being utter toss once it was secured, so a vicariously upbeat end to the season. :ok:

11 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

Well done mate was pleased that you went up I remember a few years back when Bournemouth played Huddersfield doon here think that was league one how things have changed for both clubs especially Bournemouth when the fans where holding buckets outside the ground to survive has a club 

I'm not sure he had all that much to do with it. to be fair.:lol:

I am pleased for everyone at Huddersfield. The team that gave Denis Law his start in football. Best of luck next season.:ok:

On 2017-5-30 at 10:44 PM, virus-with-shoes said:

Not necessarily - they had the lowest budget in the league (or thereabouts) and the manager has them top 4 all season. With a lot more cash he might be able to keep them up.

I think the problem they have is that they had 4 decent players on loan this season. They have a bit of work to do just to get back to the standard they were this season, never mind the improvement they'll need to make to compete. 

Not that any Huddersfield fan will be worried about that just now. 

On 2017-5-30 at 4:33 PM, Huddersfield said:

Cheers for the good wishes. That was a day out & a half.

I saw so many lads that I've stood on terraces with, in every division in the league over decades. I was 7 the last time Town were top flight & have never seen a Premier League match in my life (English that is - I've seen the odd couple of Scottish ones).

Most of all though, my son. He has travelled up & down with me to places like Dagenham (on a Tuesday night), Macclesfield (to see us lose 4-0). We once travelled over 1200 miles in 5 days to see us concede 8 & score nil. He has been with me virtually every game since he was barely out of nappies. We were there when we went bust & only had 8 players on the books with a week to go before the season & thought were going to end up in the local pub league.

After I finished going ballistic & realised I needed to reduce my blood pressure & heart rate if I didn't want to spend the night in intensive care, he gave me a massive, sweat soaked hug & I burst into tears.

I cancelled a holiday for that match & it was worth every lost penny.

The definition of what real football is all about. Enjoy next season and hopefully there'll be another few parties along the way. ?

On 2017-5-29 at 0:28 PM, Mitre said:

On 2017-5-31 at 8:10 AM, Huddersfield said:

I went to a few Ipswich matches that season and was at Huddersfield around October/November in midweek when Huddersfield took Ipswich apart and Stewart was on fire, they were giving out free pies to the away fans as we left the ground for the long journey home which i thought was a nice touch.

I remember you were top of the league around the turn of the year and then fell away. Glad you have finally made it 

Well done, your website still doing the funny match reviews.  Used to love reading them when i followed Brighton home n away..still remember my trip to huddersfield and Bobby Zamora (remember him) tore you a new one lol

we did it the easy way by blowing the title in the 89th minute...

23 minutes ago, JasMc1973 said:

Well done, your website still doing the funny match reviews.  Used to love reading them when i followed Brighton home n away..still remember my trip to huddersfield and Bobby Zamora (remember him) tore you a new one lol

we did it the easy way by blowing the title in the 89th minute...

Yes, Danny still does the spoof match reports (www.htfc-world.com). I remember Zamora all right...he always seemed to give is grief. I also remember the 7-1 Tuesday night win a few years back ;)

I've seen Town at the Goldstone, Withdean (when I say 'saw', I mean I was present in the ground wondering what was going on half the time) & a couple of trips to the Amex which is definitely one of the better new grounds. I'm glad Brighton went up - they are a decent club & have deserved it for a long time. Do you still go see them much?

Edited by Huddersfield

On 30/05/2017 at 4:33 PM, Huddersfield said:

Cheers for the good wishes. That was a day out & a half.

I saw so many lads that I've stood on terraces with, in every division in the league over decades. I was 7 the last time Town were top flight & have never seen a Premier League match in my life (English that is - I've seen the odd couple of Scottish ones).

Most of all though, my son. He has travelled up & down with me to places like Dagenham (on a Tuesday night), Macclesfield (to see us lose 4-0). We once travelled over 1200 miles in 5 days to see us concede 8 & score nil. He has been with me virtually every game since he was barely out of nappies. We were there when we went bust & only had 8 players on the books with a week to go before the season & thought were going to end up in the local pub league.

After I finished going ballistic & realised I needed to reduce my blood pressure & heart rate if I didn't want to spend the night in intensive care, he gave me a massive, sweat soaked hug & I burst into tears.

I cancelled a holiday for that match & it was worth every lost penny.

Great story, well pleased for you. Let me know if youre going to wembley next season and i'll buy you and your son a beer ;-)