B=sides that shouldn't have been - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

B=sides that shouldn't have been

It's quiet round here these days, so for those of us of a certain age, I'll start you off with:

Fleetwood Mac - Silver Springs (B-side of Go Your Own Way)

The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down (B-side of Get Back)

Edited by Barney Rubble

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh that's hard. Gave all my 78s away.

I do remember that my sister had some cool(?) singles before she got into David Cassidy.   The B-side of Jeepster (which I liked) was Life's a Gas.   In comparison then, not a single, but...

I wasnt cool enough to listen to B sides. Why would you want to listen to a B side when you could listen to the A side over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

The needle goes back to the stert of the song and we all sing along like before. 

TD, did they still have vinyl then, or was that a nostalgic song? I've just found my old 78s after all :P

My dad liked this side which was maybe (geddit?) B. Watermelon Weather was the mibees-A?

They look like a couple of awkward youngsters who would be happier behind some guitar and drums...

27 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I wasnt cool enough to listen to B sides. Why would you want to listen to a B side when you could listen to the A side over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

The needle goes back to the stert of the song and we all sing along like before. 

But if you do that nothing ever happens.

2 minutes ago, Ormond said:

A guy in a pub I drink in is crazy about Del Amitri. He swears that they are the Scaaaattish Eagles maaaan!

Damning with faint praise there - Justin Currie writes some excellent stuff (check out his first solo album).

The Eagles are quite comfortably the worst live band I have ever seen (and that was in 1977). 

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

Damning with faint praise there - Justin Currie writes some excellent stuff (check out his first solo album).

The Eagles are quite comfortably the worst live band I have ever seen (and that was in 1977). 

Most juke boxes around me contain stuff by Del Amitri. They must've had a decent following here.

The Smiths put Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want and also How Soon Is Now as joint B-sides to William It Was Really Nothing - crazy to think about that now given their status in the Smiths' 'canon' of songs.

19 minutes ago, neilser said:

The Smiths put Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want and also How Soon Is Now as joint B-sides to William It Was Really Nothing - crazy to think about that now given their status in the Smiths' 'canon' of songs.

First was too short and second was too long to be singles id imagine

17 minutes ago, aaid said:

Wasted Life by SLF, b-side of Suspect Device 

Good shout. Though confess it's not that I remember the songs.

No punk, I was too happy/preoccupied then perhaps, but can at least appreciate the sentiment & sheer energy now.

Think I've got pissd-off nostalgia of summit.

41 minutes ago, neilser said:

The Smiths generally had fantastic B-sides throughout their career.  What's more they often had completely different tracks on the B-sides of 12" and 7" versions.  They also tended not to include singles on their albums as well.  

One of my favourite Smiths songs is Jeane which is the B-side of the 7" version of This Charming Man.  However, I bought the 12" when it came out and so never had a copy until many years later I picked up a second hand copy of the 7".

I think there's six different recordings of This Charming Man and I've got all of them in one form or another.   I'm also one of a few hundred people to see the Smiths do a live instrumental version at Dundee Uni in 1984. 

2 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

TD, did they still have vinyl then, or was that a nostalgic song? I've just found my old 78s after all :P

My dad liked this side which was maybe (geddit?) B. Watermelon Weather was the mibees-A?

They look like a couple of awkward youngsters who would be happier behind some guitar and drums...

No vinyl by then I imagine,  just nostalgia and one of the few songs that actually made me think of something other than where my next cider and babycham was coming from ...

This was the first record I ever bought, any B side by any artist would be an improvement.

I ruined the single taking it to school one day at end of term when we were allowed to take our own records in. A bottle of limeade i bought from Galbraiths broke in my school bag and destroyed  poor Jimmy ?

Listen at your peril . 

36 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think there's six different recordings of This Charming Man and I've got all of them in one form or another.   I'm also one of a few hundred people to see the Smiths do a live instrumental version at Dundee Uni in 1984. 

Image result for big noise