B=sides that shouldn't have been - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

B=sides that shouldn't have been

2 hours ago, buckielugger said:

Yep Geneva was the follow up single...if any one hasn't heard it, please find it on YouTube...it's a truly beautiful song. And also correct about his opening albums...some great tracks on them...Otway is a very under-rated songwriter. Another good album was his first without Wild Willy, appropriately entitled All Ballls and No Willy...

And yes I'm not quite in my 20s !! I've been a good friend of John's for over 30 years and been at all his big events over those decades. Good to see there's another Otway fan on the TAMB :)

Can't say I know the lad, but I've spoken to him often enough in drunken post-gig sweatboxes. First saw him at Sheffield City Hall, playing big venues off the back of 'Really Free' - a year or so later saw him at the Reading festival. Since then it's generally been pubs.

2 hours ago, fringo said:

Can you post a link or have I missed it on an earlier page ?

This is the b-side that Buckielugger rightly says would have been the sensible follow up to 'Really Free'

Instead he released 'Geneve' (without Barrett's approval, I suspect), cos he was always a soppy bugger - nice song, but not exactly what the punters were expecting.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies for turning this, briefly, into an Otway thread, but it's not often you get the opportunity ... I meant to mention that the recorded version of 'Geneve' featured a symphony orchestra that Otway had spunked the few bob Polydor[?] had fronted up after 'Really Free'.

Any road - nowt to do with B-sides, but some more Otway (whose entire oeuvre is pretty much a collection of B-sides). From one of his occasional reformings with WWB:

And one of his ballady stunners ...

2 hours ago, fringo said:

Cheers Donny.

Cheers Donny indeed!  Wouldn't have known how to add such links myself so great job...and chances are we have been at some or quite a few of the same events over the years....Gig 2000? Albert Hall? Abbey Road? Palladium? Dunkerque(s)?

Josephine..superb song....Best Dream another one, along with some of Otway's inimitable covers such as the Roy Orbison classic In Dreams and Tom Jones's Green Green Grass of Home

On 2017-6-16 at 4:44 PM, Toepoke said:
On 2017-6-16 at 4:44 PM, Toepoke said:

Was listening to an old Rolling Stones compilation in the car there, some of the B-sides are brilliant, unfortunately the iron fist of their management keeps removing them from YouTube :( 

Absolutely.

Who's Driving Your Plane - Spider & Fly - Little by Little - Bitch -  Play With Fire - Ruby Tuesday

You could add - You Can't Always Get What You Want - Off the Hook

3 hours ago, silverbear said:

Absolutely.

Who's Driving Your Plane - Spider & Fly - Little by Little - Bitch -  Play With Fire - Ruby Tuesday

You could add - You Can't Always Get What You Want - Off the Hook

I'd actually have picked Dandelion, Lady Jane and No Expectations :-)) 

Shows the depth of quality they were producing back then.

Well done finding some unbanned vids btw...