England - Biggest game since? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England - Biggest game since?

GaryWood34

Was going to suggest that

We dont have big games anymore

Well they might be advertised as big but they are usually meaningless - like the England game on Saturday

58 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Ireland at Parkhead was way bigger. We had a real chance of qualification going in to that game. We don't going in to this one. 

Agree with your first sentence but disagree with the last one. We still do have a chance, even if we lose on Saturday.

I believe we'll take a point though.

Just now, Reevesy said:

Agree with your first sentence but disagree with the last one. We still do have a chance, even if we lose on Saturday.

I believe we'll take a point though.

I did say a "real" chance, i.e. realistic. We went in to the ROI game in decent form and with having had a good start in the group. I don't think winning almost every game we have left is realistic, given our recent form. 

28 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I did say a "real" chance, i.e. realistic. We went in to the ROI game in decent form and with having had a good start in the group. I don't think winning almost every game we have left is realistic, given our recent form. 

Given our manager and quality

It's a big game in the sense it's against our oldest rivals and it's only really this type of big game we get these days since we don't qualify for anything but in terms of getting a result I would say the Lithuania game was bigger. We had to win that one and we ballsed it up. 

Having said that, I haven't looked forward to a game as much as this  for ages and if we somehow manage to win it, it will end up being a huge game as we will be well and truly back in the group. 

Biggest home game since italy 2007.  Every game cannot be a big game.. Big games are defined by being bigger than routine games.  This could be because of Whom we are playing or it could be a must win game against anyone.  

V italy in 07 the 2 criteria mentioned above were combined - none since then. 

Edited by bonny78

21 hours ago, Parklife said:

Poland and Czech Republic were both bigger than this one in terms of them being games against our direct rivals for runners up.

(Didn't mean to quote you Parklife, unable to delete your post on my phone!)

6 minutes ago, Exglasgowasc said:

According to Strachan this morning it's not a must win game, it's a must perform game. How much more drivel can this man come out with?

Honestly? I actually think he would say its not must win even if we were going into the last game when a win and a win only would guarantee us going through.

3 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Honestly? I actually think he would say its not must win even if we were going into the last game when a win and a win only would guarantee us going through.

Why put extra pressure on the players? I'm sure they all see it as must win. What they say privately will differ from the sound bites they feed the media.

1 minute ago, Reevesy said:

Why put extra pressure on the players? I'm sure they all see it as must win. What they say privately will differ from the sound bites they feed the media.

I wouldn't say saying it adds more pressure, if anything it gives them more motivation. Why give them a cop out of the gaffer says we don't really need to win anyway?

Just now, Mazziessc said:

I wouldn't say saying it adds more pressure, if anything it gives them more motivation. Why give them a cop out of the gaffer says we don't really need to win anyway?

Like I said, I doubt that's really what they're saying privately.

Guest BlueGaz
15 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Why do folk always go on about "must win games"? 

A lot of pish IMO. 

I don't think they do always go on about it.  But from time to time, depending on the scenario, the team you support will have a must win game.