League Cup - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, dan cake said:

Well done peterhead, no doubt hertz would have won if there was no goalposts. Cathro must stay

yep well done Peterhead, that's what happens if you don't take your chances.

Quite happy for Cathro to stay, it certainly wasn't his fault last night

Pretty poor performance from Motherwell last night admittedly on a poor surface with a few players I wouldn't expect to be in the first choice 11.

Mcmanus gifted them a goal with what was their only real chance.

Edinburgh city were decent enough and well organised.

39 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Pretty poor performance from Motherwell last night admittedly on a poor surface with a few players I wouldn't expect to be in the first choice 11.

Mcmanus gifted them a goal with what was their only real chance.

Edinburgh city were decent enough and well organised.

Aye thought we (City) we going to hold out for a penalty shoot-out there but just couldn't hold on. 

The pitch did look 'sticky'. Nae bounce. 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Aye thought we (City) we going to hold out for a penalty shoot-out there but just couldn't hold on. 

So did we.

Got tipped off they were going to take the penalties at the social club end, and not let the 'well fans move round, so we left our spot to head round with a couple of minutes left, and saw the winning goal over my shoulder and then the players celebrate where we'd been standing.

:lol:

2 hours ago, hannibal smith said:

yep well done Peterhead, that's what happens if you don't take your chances.

Quite happy for Cathro to stay, it certainly wasn't his fault last night

What seems to be the problem, my mates a Hearts season ticket holder and he says the performance away to Elgin only winning 1-0 was poor and Saturday against East Fife it was only 2 late goals and a sending off that made the result pass without notice.  Don't know if the players aren't playing for Cathro or its the tactics etc.  Hope they pick up as I would like to see a strong Hearts / Hibs challenge at the top of the league this season to put pressure on Celtic and Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, Geed said:

What seems to be the problem, my mates a Hearts season ticket holder and he says the performance away to Elgin only winning 1-0 was poor and Saturday against East Fife it was only 2 late goals and a sending off that made the result pass without notice.  Don't know if the players aren't playing for Cathro or its the tactics etc.  Hope they pick up as I would like to see a strong Hearts / Hibs challenge at the top of the league this season to put pressure on Celtic and Aberdeen.

the main problem is we have a goalkeeper who isn't up to it and a squad of midfielders who all play the same role.

Cathro has made some good signings in the summer, Lafferty, Berra and Michael Smith all look good and having Souttar back will be like a new signing.

3 minutes ago, hannibal smith said:

the main problem is we have a goalkeeper who isn't up to it and a squad of midfielders who all play the same role.

Cathro has made some good signings in the summer, Lafferty, Berra and Michael Smith all look good and having Souttar back will be like a new signing.

Saints to finish above you again? You never did pay up to the TACC, did ye? :lol:

10 minutes ago, hannibal smith said:

Hope you solve the GK situation soon.  What's up with Aaron Hughes did he resign for you's?

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Saints to finish above you again? You never did pay up to the TACC, did ye? :lol:

TACC? think it was for TASA although i don't know how much it was, got a link?

yeah i will take that bet on, you can't keep being that lucky against us. ;)

2 hours ago, Geed said:

Hope you solve the GK situation soon.  What's up with Aaron Hughes did he resign for you's?

yeah Hughes is decent and played last week, he would be first choice along with Souttar and Berra in a back three assuming everyone is fit. Lafferty and Goncalves look decent up front and we seem to have some decent wing backs so its just sorting out the keeper and someone to play alongside Walker and Cowie and we have a decent starting eleven. 

Just now, hannibal smith said:

TACC? think it was for TASA although i don't know how much it was, got a link?

yeah i will take that bet on, you can't keep being that lucky against us. ;)

Sure it was only 20 or so. I take it we're doing double or quits this season?

On 26/07/2017 at 0:28 PM, sbcmfc said:

So did we.

Got tipped off they were going to take the penalties at the social club end, and not let the 'well fans move round, so we left our spot to head round with a couple of minutes left, and saw the winning goal over my shoulder and then the players celebrate where we'd been standing.

What an absolute tip Ainslie Park is.

And I thought Edinburgh City were dire v Berwick. One from those two will finish bottom of league 2 with City sealing it if Craig Beattie continues at Centre Half.

9 hours ago, macy37 said:

What an absolute tip Ainslie Park is.

And I thought Edinburgh City were dire v Berwick. One from those two will finish bottom of league 2 with City sealing it if Craig Beattie continues at Centre Half.

In what way is it 'a tip'? That was my first time there on Tuesday and I thought it was decent. Wee, but certainly not a tip. 

Mind you I spent the 90 minutes squinting through the low sun......

I don't think City will finish bottom. More or less a new team that have only played together three or four times. You may be right about Beattie though, particularly when up against anyone with pace. 

I thought Edinburgh city looked a decent side, far better defensively than Queens Park.

Ainslie Park is what it is, it's a non league teams park. Got a small stand and a grass bank, I'm not sure what's to be expected facilities wise, unless I'm using the Queen's Park game as a barometer again.

53 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I thought Edinburgh city looked a decent side, far better defensively than Queens Park.

Ainslie Park is what it is, it's a non league teams park. Got a small stand and a grass bank, I'm not sure what's to be expected facilities wise, unless I'm using the Queen's Park game as a barometer again.

Aye I thought it was tidy enough. They'll not need much bigger than Ainslie Park. Just a wee bit crap with all the Spartans signage around - home games will never feel like home games. 

Playing wise they need a lot more pace up front in my opinion. They had that last year with Ouzy See, linking well with Beattie's flick ons but he's now signed for Forfar. Grimes (who scored against Well) looks good but he's not an out and out forward. Never had an outlet at all when Well were pressing. 

The right back had Frear in his pocket for 70 minutes and the captain at centre half looked a solid player, probably MoTM for me.

The boy Moses playing left wing looked the part, but seemed to be getting a lot of stick from the keeper and defence for not tracking back, and a lot of our better moves came down his side, perhaps in a game against weaker opposition with less defensive responsibility he'd do well. Keeper commanded his area pretty well too. Caught more crosses in 90 minutes than Samson did all last season.

12 hours ago, McTeeko said:

In what way is it 'a tip'? That was my first time there on Tuesday and I thought it was decent. Wee, but certainly not a tip. 

Mind you I spent the 90 minutes squinting through the low sun......

I don't think City will finish bottom. More or less a new team that have only played together three or four times. You may be right about Beattie though, particularly when up against anyone with pace. 

Maybe a bit harsh. A soulless "stadium" with one wee stand and nothing else. Dreadful pitch too. In an absolute tip of an area of town.

Im amazed anyone thinks they are anything better than crap. 

15 hours ago, macy37 said:

Maybe a bit harsh. A soulless "stadium" with one wee stand and nothing else. Dreadful pitch too. In an absolute tip of an area of town.

Im amazed anyone thinks they are anything better than crap. 

Soulless - yeah, a bit, but compared to Meadowbank which was also soulless and had a massive stand at least Ainslie Park is more intimate.

Pitch - aye, fitba should always be played on grass.

Area - Granton isn't exactly in an affluent part of area, along with Pilton and Niddrie.