Scotland v England : Match Thread - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v England : Match Thread

Big Col

That's me and my son a few seats directly behind the guy filming. I completely lost it at the second goal and ended up a few steps down from the seat. When I turned around a random guy had picked him up and was dancing about with him, tears streaming down the wee man's face in utter horror/joy/confusion ?

Cannae buy moments like that!

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Bino's said:

half chance

we were struggling to gain any possession as five at back meant light in midfield

but Strachan was right as all they're capable of doing is playing in front of you and not creating

if Gordon had a half decent day .. the pass back he picked up!!!!

If you're going to start criticising folk you might want to make sure you know the rules. Mulgrew I think it was put it back to him with his knee/thigh. A keeper can only not pick it up if it's played below the knee.

A decent result in the grand scheme of things, but of course massively disappointing considering what happened in the last few minutes of the game.

Gordon had a surprisingly bad day. He didn't look confident and seemed to be unsure if he should be coming for balls, lack of communication with his defence or lack of trust? Kierney and Robertson were excellent just like the last game too. Well done to Griffiths, always feared he wasn't good enough at the top level and still not sure ; but superb for him to get his first few goals and hopefully a few more in September. Fraser looked very good when coming on. 

I think Morrison, Anya and unfortunately Snoddgrass should be ditched if they continue to churn out the same in the next few games.

No doubt after going 1-0 down, I would take the draw, but to end up drawing like that was pretty gutting.

Fair dues to Strachan though. He deserves to see out the campaign. I wanted rid of him after the start we had ; but to dig in for that winner against Slovenia - when we were the better team and it looked like we would end up throwing it away - and whilst there has to be many questions about us failing to grind out wins and results e.g Iceland beat Croatia last night with a 90th minute winner rather than us throwing it away. Strachan will run the course.

Coming to the last few games. We certainly could be in among it for the final weeks. Of course, we actually need to win away games and we need to go to Kaunas and put in a strong performance like against Slovenia at Hampden. If we manage to win both games in September - we could be looking at the group being 2-3 pts behind Slovakia/Slovenia with both teams to come. Not going to bother worrying about the worst run-up etc and wait and see if we win these next two games.

That's a fantastic video! Can tell it's the South Stand though - tame celebrations compared to the carnage around our section in the North-East corner. ;) Brilliant though.

A decent enough performance and for once, I actually though our defence was the best it's been. A poor game from Gordon though - should have got something on first goal and cleared the ball for second by any means possible - even just any kind of fist on it and we were home and dry. Midfield was generally poor though - thought Brown had a bit of a shocker and almost cost us two other goals. Griffiths though was easily the highlight with two fantastic goals and two fantastic memories that will go down as legend. Puts the work rate in as well which is the absolute minimal we need from our lone striker.

Still think we're out of it though. We'll show up at the big games but will go out with a whimper against lesser nations. Really hope to be proven wrong because I think Strachan is actually closing in on a starting 11 that will work. Gordon should lose his place and the midfield, after ironically being our strongest area for a while, is the area that has failed to step up. But unlike recent times in defence, Strachan has options available to him in midfield.

Absolutely gut-wrenching finish but plenty positives to come out of that game as well. Strachan needs to ensure we kick on from this though and maintain a high standard to the end of the campaign. 

19 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

That's a fantastic video! Can tell it's the South Stand though - tame celebrations compared to the carnage around our section in the North-East corner. ;) Brilliant though.

A decent enough performance and for once, I actually though our defence was the best it's been. A poor game from Gordon though - should have got something on first goal and cleared the ball for second by any means possible - even just any kind of fist on it and we were home and dry. Midfield was generally poor though - thought Brown had a bit of a shocker and almost cost us two other goals. Griffiths though was easily the highlight with two fantastic goals and two fantastic memories that will go down as legend. Puts the work rate in as well which is the absolute minimal we need from our lone striker.

Still think we're out of it though. We'll show up at the big games but will go out with a whimper against lesser nations. Really hope to be proven wrong because I think Strachan is actually closing in on a starting 11 that will work. Gordon should lose his place and the midfield, after ironically being our strongest area for a while, is the area that has failed to step up. But unlike recent times in defence, Strachan has options available to him in midfield.

Absolutely gut-wrenching finish but plenty positives to come out of that game as well. Strachan needs to ensure we kick on from this though and maintain a high standard to the end of the campaign. 

our defence looked better and midfield weaker because we sacrificed a man from one to the other

although Gordons mind had gone walkies he's still our best keeper

Folk can say what they like about the rivalry between the countries even some songs that are sung and booing national anthems but what happened at full time was special.Scotland fans leaving the stadium and england fans kept back applauding each other was fantastic but never mentioned in the papers etc.It happened at euro 96 aswell.

On 12/06/2017 at 11:38 PM, HIGHTOWER 1314 said:

Folk can say what they like about the rivalry between the countries even some songs that are sung and booing national anthems but what happened at full time was special.Scotland fans leaving the stadium and england fans kept back applauding each other was fantastic but never mentioned in the papers etc.It happened at euro 96 aswell.

Why?Never understood why opposing fans want to applaud each other :wacko:

23 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Brilliant celebration compilation here...

Brilliant

The Good

Weather. Nice and warm.  Summer football!

The stadium.  When the fans are up for it the atmosphere is fantastic.  A real Hampden roar.  Our home. Like games v Italy, Netherlands, Germany and Ukraine.

We played well. We stopped them. Got forward.  Did not punt it up front to often.

Dele Ali and Marcus Rashford anonymous.

Those 2 free kicks. Oh. My. Lord.

My local pub is good pre and post game and I'm keeping it quiet so its not invaded.

The Bad

Snodgrass just not performing.  Thought Robertson was cautious and did not take his man on enough.  Morrison was injured within 5 mins and should have been hooked earlier.  Gordon hesitant with feet while performing with Celtic all season.  Our shots excluding Griffiths were crap.

Do we have any new songs? About current or past players?  

Men who wear flags round necks like capes.

The Ugly

Jimmy Saville song.  FFS.

Booing anthems.

Bottle launched on pitch.

Kane equalising.  Allowing them to launch it upfield.  Giving away free kick outside box.  What was it for?  Not clearing.  Armstrong pass.  Not pushing up.  Meaty looping punt into box keeper and defence missed.

Guest BlueGaz
25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

In fairness the booing of God Save the Queen was always going to happen after Flower of Scotland was booed roundly at Wembley.

Booing of each other during national anthems goes back a lot further than that.

7 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Booing of each other during national anthems goes back a lot further than that.

It does but its the indignation from England fans complaining about the booing that I find a bit rich as they conveniently choose to forget what went on a few months earlier at Wembley. I'd sooner there was no booing but it is fair game if England fans disrespect our anthem.

42 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It does but its the indignation from England fans complaining about the booing that I find a bit rich as they conveniently choose to forget what went on a few months earlier at Wembley. I'd sooner there was no booing but it is fair game if England fans disrespect our anthem.

Aye they seem to have a short memory, as did sky reporter on twitter although I did correct him lol

16 hours ago, Alan said:

The Good

Weather. Nice and warm.  Summer football!

The stadium.  When the fans are up for it the atmosphere is fantastic.  A real Hampden roar.  Our home. Like games v Italy, Netherlands, Germany and Ukraine.

We played well. We stopped them. Got forward.  Did not punt it up front to often.

Dele Ali and Marcus Rashford anonymous.

Those 2 free kicks. Oh. My. Lord.

My local pub is good pre and post game and I'm keeping it quiet so its not invaded.

The Bad

Snodgrass just not performing.  Thought Robertson was cautious and did not take his man on enough.  Morrison was injured within 5 mins and should have been hooked earlier.  Gordon hesitant with feet while performing with Celtic all season.  Our shots excluding Griffiths were crap.

Do we have any new songs? About current or past players?  

Men who wear flags round necks like capes.

The Ugly

Jimmy Saville song.  FFS.

Booing anthems.

Bottle launched on pitch.

Kane equalising.  Allowing them to launch it upfield.  Giving away free kick outside box.  What was it for?  Not clearing.  Armstrong pass.  Not pushing up.  Meaty looping punt into box keeper and defence missed.

Well summed up Alan apart from the booing, but you were never going to not dislike that, were you? ;) 

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Same here, last thing I wanted to do after the game on Saturday was applaud those bellends.

It does happen. I recall us being applauded and applauding German fans before. The difference is England's fans are so full of themselves they disqualify themselves from such treatment.

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It does happen. I recall us being applauded and applauding German fans before. The difference is England's fans are so full of themselves they disqualify themselves from such treatment.

They seem slightly less obnoxious than they used to be in fairness.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

They seem slightly less obnoxious than they used to be in fairness.

The reason being it has taken them a few years to realise they are not that good after numerous disappointments at various finals .

We had a classic moment in my local pub down here, an old guy had asked my mate on friday night to put a £10 bet on for him, it was treble of British Lions to win, England to win the cricket and England to win at Hampden, trouble was my mate fecked it up and put Scotland to win the football. So when LG put us 2 v 1 up he was dancing round the pub and shouting that he would buy everyone a drink as the winnings would now come his way , I have never seen a pub full of Englishmen cheering on Scotland with empty glass's and ready for the rush to the bar,  then when Kane scored they all moaned & groaned , not one person cheering the goal.

Fecking amazing what a promise of a free beer will do to people 

Guest BlueGaz
3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

True, best ignored.  I suspect we would have fans complaining just the same if it was on other foot.  I'd also sooner there was no booing, but it will/would happen regardless of who started it.