Do we not know how to defend for a min or 2 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Do we not know how to defend for a min or 2

bonny78

2 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Biggest problem yesterday was the inability of the whole midfield to hold the ball, string a few passes together and create a few chances - which we singularly failed to do. Shoddy had another poor game, Morrison got crocked early on, Anya got continually blocked and did not seem to have many options. Midfield used to be our strongest area but if you can't keep the ball and create something then it's only a matter of time before pressure tells. Brown played his usual game and was a bit lucky but the rest of the midfield should take more of the blame for a bad performance. Needs sorting if we are to have any chance of getting another result.

There's an argument for McArthur, but who else would have played better?  We don't have the players to compete at that level.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

And you should be shutting up. Tripping over yourself to get club based digs into the Scottish captain. Pathetic.

The only person that has continuously mentioned club football is you, you clown. 

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

The only person that has continuously mentioned club football is you, you clown. 

You were on here in seconds going on about Brown. Total club pish from you. You are the second biggest blue nosed aberdeen fan on here and that is some achievement.  I don't need to quote your posting history. I'd just say let's watch your future posting history. You'll prove me right...

1 minute ago, Marky said:

Scott Brown is a good player.

Anyone who thinks otherwise frankly is an idiot who knows phuk all about football. 

It's as simple as that. End of story!

True story. When he retires we will struggle to find anybody to fill his boots in the near term.

58 minutes ago, thplinth said:

You were on here in seconds going on about Brown. Total club pish from you. You are the second biggest blue nosed aberdeen fan on here and that is some achievement.  I don't need to quote your posting history. I'd just say let's watch your future posting history. You'll prove me right...

Oh no. I mentioned what happened in the match, during the match. How dare I.....

Youre just posting utter nonsense here, but if you could find some posts where I have shown all this hatred towards Celtic, I would love to see them. 

I have no idea what a blue nosed Aberdeen fan is, but I'll let you keep your little hard on over it. 

You really are a strange, strange person, getting worked up and making up stories over a stranger on the internet. 

Fvcking weirdo. 

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

True story. When he retires we will struggle to find anybody to fill his boots in the near term.

We have nobody in that mould unfortunately.  We need someone with that touch of arrogance to own the midfield and operate on that basis no matter who you play against.  Souness was obviously on a different level but that type of player.  I don't see anyone coming through with that.  I frankly loved it that he rattled Ali early on.  I hardly saw Ali kick a ball after that.

No doubt it was a reckless tackle and not clever but that one incident doesn't cloud what was an excellent performance from Brown, particularly 2nd half. After the season he's had Ive no idea how people can say he's anything but an excellent player.  Its easy to dislike him as he is so effective at winding up opposition fans, but for me he is our most important payer by a mile. I doubt the 2nd half in Slovakia wouldve transpired the way it did if he played. 

18 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

No doubt it was a reckless tackle and not clever but that one incident doesn't cloud what was an excellent performance from Brown, particularly 2nd half. After the season he's had Ive no idea how people can say he's anything but an excellent player.  Its easy to dislike him as he is so effective at winding up opposition fans, but for me he is our most important payer by a mile. I doubt the 2nd half in Slovakia wouldve transpired the way it did if he played. 

Said exactly the same last night about Slovakia, doubt we would have crumbled as much had he been there. 

I thought he was excellent, when he got booked that early I feared the worst but he controlled himself brilliantly for the rest of the game.

5 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Said exactly the same last night about Slovakia, doubt we would have crumbled as much had he been there. 

I thought he was excellent, when he got booked that early I feared the worst but he controlled himself brilliantly for the rest of the game.

Has matured big time. 4 or 5 years ago and it was a certainty he have been red carded in a game like yesterday's. But led the team superbly yesterday. I do hope he sees the campaign out 

I think everyone is going to extremes either way here. I thought Brown was ok, not poor and not excellent.

He generally did what was expected of him but was lucky not to have been sent off. He also nearly cost us a goal with a woeful pass from the edge of our own box that led to a chance that Lallana I think should have done better with.

In general terms I think the thing that costs us more than anything is a perpetual lack of options for the poor sod on the ball.

12 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Embarrassing stuff. He's a professional footballer and Scotland captain. 

You obviously have a personal problem with Scott Brown. Sorry about that.

This thread is hularious, apparently I have a personal problem with Scott brown, it's the first I have heard about it. A professional wouldnt be diving in like he did. Not only does he dive in to reckless tackles, he commits himself too quickly to tackles which leads to him being beaten. He should be forcing his opponent away from goal but he's too reckless!. Take a look at the first goal again, he commits too early to chamberlain who then gets the break and leaves Brown trailing. I'm not in anyway laying the blame at brown for that goal, it's a team game where everyone has to take responsibility. Brown loses possession too much for my liking and he commits himself too early  to the tackle.

this isn't 1973 where you have to let your opponent know you're there by smashing him early on. Brown risked being sent off with his recklessness when we need everyone on the park. The fouls weren't even necessary, they could have been avoided.

I know Saturday was hard to take, we are all feeling it but some of the shite aimed at me and dandydunn is laughable. 

theplinth is one of my favourite posters on here's but he's having a howler with this anti Celtic crap.

8 hours ago, bossman4 said:

Controlled himself brilliantly? 

I've no issue with anyone on here disagreeing with my opinion on our captain but that's just nonsense. He was lucky to stay on the park with that challenge in the 2nd half.

10 hours ago, Marky said:

Scott Brown is a good player.

Anyone who thinks otherwise frankly is an idiot who knows phuk all about football. 

It's as simple as that. End of story! FACT

The only thing missing from your post is writing fact in capital letters. I've helped you out 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

This thread is hularious, apparently I have a personal problem with Scott brown, it's the first I have heard about it. A professional wouldnt be diving in like he did. Not only does he dive in to reckless tackles, he commits himself too quickly to tackles which leads to him being beaten. He should be forcing his opponent away from goal but he's too reckless!. Take a look at the first goal again, he commits too early to chamberlain who then gets the break and leaves Brown trailing. I'm not in anyway laying the blame at brown for that goal, it's a team game where everyone has to take responsibility. Brown loses possession too much for my liking and he commits himself too early  to the tackle.

this isn't 1973 where you have to let your opponent know you're there by smashing him early on. Brown risked being sent off with his recklessness when we need everyone on the park. The fouls weren't even necessary, they could have been avoided.

I know Saturday was hard to take, we are all feeling it but some of the shite aimed at me and dandydunn is laughable. 

theplinth is one of my favourite posters on here's but he's having a howler with this anti Celtic crap.

The reason I assume you have a personal problem with Scott Brown is because otherwise your statement is unbelievably stupid. To say the Scotland captain is a thug and nothing more is plain daft or biased, or both.

You are quite rightly getting shite because you are talking a load of shite.

On 6/10/2017 at 9:45 PM, Hertsscot said:

My wife felt a number of England players were play acting/ making the most of it aka cheating.  And she supports England!  Mind you she also supports Arsenal and was critical of Diet and Alll i so that might explain it.

Cahill holding his face after giving away the first free kick ?

I think the most frustrating aspect is once again after getting ourselves in a good position in a game we concede not long afterwards. We went 2-1 up away to Poland and lost an equaliser (not a bad result granted but seeing the game out would have been better), we equalised away to Germany and lost a second not long after. Germany at home we equalised twice and each time we lose a goal shortly after (one was about ten minutes after Half time after equalising juts before) Ireland at home we played well and got the win but I am sure they hit the bar towards the end of the game. And Poland at home we manage to get ourselves 2-1 but again shortly after we concede an equaliser and of course theres Saturday.

There is a clear frailty in our team and we don't seem to be learning any lessons or improving at staying solid once we get ourselves into a decent position in the game .

In terms of Saturday I actually thought we played better down at Wembley and got gubbed 3-0, England looked a bit rusty going forward and the flicks and passes they were trying weren't coming off, we didn't look like much of a threat either. I thought Martin did well when he came on and gave us a bit of physically that we were lacking up until that point. Two great goals from the Thumb.

Gordon should be doing better for the goals imo