Do we not know how to defend for a min or 2 - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Do we not know how to defend for a min or 2

bonny78

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

This thread is hularious, apparently I have a personal problem with Scott brown, it's the first I have heard about it. A professional wouldnt be diving in like he did. Not only does he dive in to reckless tackles, he commits himself too quickly to tackles which leads to him being beaten. He should be forcing his opponent away from goal but he's too reckless!. Take a look at the first goal again, he commits too early to chamberlain who then gets the break and leaves Brown trailing. I'm not in anyway laying the blame at brown for that goal, it's a team game where everyone has to take responsibility. Brown loses possession too much for my liking and he commits himself too early  to the tackle.

this isn't 1973 where you have to let your opponent know you're there by smashing him early on. Brown risked being sent off with his recklessness when we need everyone on the park. The fouls weren't even necessary, they could have been avoided.

I know Saturday was hard to take, we are all feeling it but some of the shite aimed at me and dandydunn is laughable. 

theplinth is one of my favourite posters on here's but he's having a howler with this anti Celtic crap.

See the bolded is why it looks like you are just having a go at him for something other than his performance on Saturday. 

I don't have any league stats but Scott Brown was 5th in the CL this season for completed pass % with nearly 95%.

Stats can be made to say anything but in this case they actually do him a dis-service as 3 of the top 5 had 1 full game, 2 full games and 5 sub appearances. Out of players who actually played all the group games or more, he was 2nd in Europe behind Thiago Silva, a defender who wouldn't be making passes in the same area Brown does.

In the 6 group games he played he was basically the best midfield player in the competition for keeping possession. So you either think 95% isn't good enough for keeping possession but then no one is going to meet your very high standards of doing so if that's the case, or you are just saying stuff about Brown to back up your point which are basically, just made up.

Edited by Dalgety Bay TA

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

The reason I assume you have a personal problem with Scott Brown is because otherwise your statement is unbelievably stupid. To say the Scotland captain is a thug and nothing more is plain daft or biased, or both.

You are quite rightly getting shite because you are talking a load of shite.

You're post doesn't even make any sense and you have the cheek to say I talk shite.

i juts remembered who you are, you're the numpty who told tme everyone "not to come back" :lol:

now it all makes sense

Edited by vanderark14

17 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

See the bolded is why it looks like you are just having a go at him for something other than his performance on Saturday. 

I don't have any league stats but Scott Brown was 5th in the CL this season for completed pass % with nearly 95%.

Stats can be made to say anything but in this case they actually do him a dis-service as 3 of the top 5 had 1 full game, 2 full games and 5 sub appearances. Out of players who actually played all the group games or more, he was 2nd in Europe behind Thiago Silva, a defender who wouldn't be making passes in the same area Brown does.

In the 6 group games he played he was basically the best midfield player in the competition for keeping possession. So you either think 95% isn't good enough for keeping possession but then no one is going to meet your very high standards of doing so if that's the case, or you are just saying stuff about Brown to back up your point which are basically, just made up.

Brown played well in the CL but you will have to explain what that has to do with his performance on Saturday? 

Why just pick the part in bold? Does this mean you agree with the rest of my post? 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Brown played well in the CL but you will have to explain what that has to do with his performance on Saturday? 

Why just pick the part in bold? Does this mean you agree with the rest of my post? 

You said Brown loses possession too much for your liking. That suggests he does it often/frequently. The CL stats say he doesn't, I am sure league stats would say the same and that would probably continue into Scotland games too. It also suggests you have formed an opinion of him which isn't fact based, therefore are doing so for some other reason.

As for the rest of the post, well you think he is unprofessional, his manager(s) that he has played under at club or country say otherwise. Rodgers has made a few comments on how good/professional he is around the club and on the pitch. 

His tackle at the start of the game was a poor one, it was a bad decision, doesn't make him unprofessional. I would say to go the rest of the game without another booking suggests he was quite professional and measured in his approach to the rest of the game.

1 minute ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

You said Brown loses possession too much for your liking. That suggests he does it often/frequently. The CL stats say he doesn't, I am sure league stats would say the same and that would probably continue into Scotland games too. It also suggests you have formed an opinion of him which isn't fact based, therefore are doing so for some other reason.

As for the rest of the post, well you think he is unprofessional, his manager(s) that he has played under at club or country say otherwise. Rodgers has made a few comments on how good/professional he is around the club and on the pitch. 

His tackle at the start of the game was a poor one, it was a bad decision, doesn't make him unprofessional. I would say to go the rest of the game without another booking suggests he was quite professional and measured in his approach to the rest of the game.

Come on min, he was lucky to stay on the park especially after the 2nd half challenge. That wasn't very professional. He commited himself too quickly to the tackle which led to the first goal.

do you have his stats? I would like to know how these are worked out. I wasn't commenting on his performances for Celtic, in talking about his performances for Scotland.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Come on min, he was lucky to stay on the park especially after the 2nd half challenge. That wasn't very professional. He commited himself too quickly to the tackle which led to the first goal.

do you have his stats? I would like to know how these are worked out. I wasn't commenting on his performances for Celtic, in talking about his performances for Scotland.

84% for Saturday, only Griffiths with 88% and McArthur with 86% better figures than him in Scotland side. McArthur obviously only played 45 mins, Griffiths tried less than half the passes Brown made.

On England team Cahill, Smalling and Bertrand had higher %, again players playing passes in different areas. Livermore was 85% and best England midfielder, Lallana, Dier and Alli especially (68% from 28 passes)  all had poorer figures than Brown. Livermore actually made double the passes Brown did so a very pretty decent %.

Summary of all that, Brown kept possession better than anyone in the Scotland team on Saturday when you factor in minutes played and passes made. The figures are similar for Wembley when you consider minutes played and passes made. Lee Wallace has a higher % from slightly less passes but again will be making them in a different area of the park. 

If Brown really is giving away possession more than your liking then we need to see if we can some how get Xavi into our midfield as I think he will be the only one who meets your very high standards.

The second tackle, yes, not his best moment. The committed tackle he failed to get the ball with which led to the goal, yes a mistake but again doesn't make him unprofessional. 

I dont have a problem with the stats - as Ive said before, he's our best midfielder and Im certainly not doubting his quality.

My problem on Saturday were the passes that put us in serious danger of conceding a goal at a critical point in the game. IMO, any criticism of him is a reflection of his status - we expect the best from him because he's been the best we have for a number of years now.

None of this changes the fact that he's our best midfielder though. Hope to see a couple of changes around him in the coming games.

Just read this thread. Brown was at fault for the first goal. Schoolboy stuff selling himself like that and allowed the ball through. If that was a case of worrying about a second card then he has himself to blame. He's lucky it was only a booking because nowadays we all know how fouls like that are being clamped down on. If he had committed it in the second half, he'd have been off. 

12 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

You're post doesn't even make any sense and you have the cheek to say I talk shite.

i juts remembered who you are, you're the numpty who told tme everyone "not to come back" :lol:

now it all makes sense

Your exact statement about Scott Brown was, 'he's a thug and that's it'. You've since went on to talk more shite about him not being good enough at retaining possession etc. And have been absolutely schooled. 

Either you are stupid and unable to assess the facts. Or you have a personal problem with Scott Brown which manifests itself in you talking shite on football forums and making false claims that are contradicted by the facts.

Seems pretty clear to me sunshine. 

Edited by Morrisandmoo

34 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Just read this thread. Brown was at fault for the first goal. Schoolboy stuff selling himself like that and allowed the ball through. If that was a case of worrying about a second card then he has himself to blame. He's lucky it was only a booking because nowadays we all know how fouls like that are being clamped down on. If he had committed it in the second half, he'd have been off. 

Yeah he was poor in that moment. But what about the two other scotland defenders who then seemingly ran into each other and the keeper whom if he had just stood there would have saved it... Oxlade was just on he made an unpredictable run and bottom line the substitution worked. You have this ridiculous business on here of isolating some moment and then concluding it was that players fault and only theirs. Ok sometimes it is a blatant personal error but sometimes it feels like folk have it in for some players (not saying you Ormond). To charge on and say the Scotland captain is a thug and that is it or whatever DH said after such rollercoaster game was just bizarre. 

Edited by thplinth

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Yeah he was poor in that moment. But what about the two other scotland defenders who then seemingly ran into each other and the keeper whom if he had just stood there would have saved it... 

Aye,  Tierney had a great game but I hold him more at fault, should've closed Oxlade down.

On 13/06/2017 at 11:25 AM, Auld_Reekie said:

I dont have a problem with the stats - as Ive said before, he's our best midfielder and Im certainly not doubting his quality.

My problem on Saturday were the passes that put us in serious danger of conceding a goal at a critical point in the game. IMO, any criticism of him is a reflection of his status - we expect the best from him because he's been the best we have for a number of years now.

None of this changes the fact that he's our best midfielder though. Hope to see a couple of changes around him in the coming games.

100% agree with this. All things considered, he's our best midfielder. He is also our captain. 

To have some Scotland fans on here decrying him as s thug and nothing else is embarrassing and a crying shame.