Craig Gordon - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Craig Gordon

er yir macaroon

Guest BlueGaz

We needed everyone to be on form and at their best, but we fell a little short.  He didn't have his best game unfortunately.

Others were at fault for both goals too whilst Chamberlain got a lucky break in the first goal. He should have been stopped before getting that shot off for the first goal.

Armstrong should have blasted the ball into oblivion for the 2nd,mulgrew let Kane get away, Gordon should have come for it.  

Craig Gordon is a good keeper, as is Marshall, as is mcgregor.  He had a poor game yesterday, Even outside thevgoals a couple of poor decisions (the only leading up to the header off the line).  He also had a decent couple of stops.  Personally I like mcgregor and would be my pick, but not unhappy with any of the three.

When I think of the abuse McAllister got in subsequent games for missing that penalty in 1996 at Wembley I expect Craig Gordon to be given the same.

His reluctance to come off his line and claim the ball at that stage of the game given how we had dragged ourselves from defeat to a winning position is unforgivable. 

Sad to say cos I've always been a massive fan, but he should've stopped both these goals. First straight at him, second he was done at his near post. That's not nearly good enough and probably comes from having fk all to do week after week. We would've won that game with the Craig Gordon of 10 years ago.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Others were at fault for both goals too whilst Chamberlain got a lucky break in the first goal. He should have been stopped before getting that shot off for the first goal.

Armstrong should have blasted the ball into oblivion for the 2nd,mulgrew let Kane get away, Gordon should have come for it.  

I thought the first goal took a deflection at first but on seeing replays it didn't, was poor from Gordon as it was practically straight at him.

As you say, 2nd goal was a combo...if Armstrong had passed left to Martin there was no English player on the left and he could have taken ball to their end. If Armstrong had found Griffiths with his pass. If Griffiths hadn't just gave up on it when he didn't get the pass, if Mulgrew had been closer to Kane instead of ball watching, if Gordon had came for the ball which was in the air for a long time....

2 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

Having seen it on TV now he should have come out for 2nd goal.

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

I thought that at the time. Poor decision :( 

Don't say that. 

You'll be accused of being anti Celtic and having a personal problem with Gordon....

I think slow motion makes the first worse but the second he was at fault, as were others.  What we shouldn't do is get at him like some people got at MacAllister and I'm confident he won't get that type of criticism.  He tried, he gives his best, he made a mistake - people do.  Our top three keepers are not far apart in terms of quality, though it would be get to a younger one in on a more regular basis.  Hull fans were very critical of Marshall earlier on in the year, MacGregor has been regular at Cardiff so presumably he's been good.

I read somewhere Gordon says the team must shoulder the blame for the 2nd English goal. Bottom line for me is he should of came for the cross as it seemed to hang in the air for an eternity, or so it felt watching the cross at the time - still not watched highlights to change my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

I read somewhere Gordon says the team must shoulder the blame for the 2nd English goal. Bottom line for me is he should of came for the cross as it seemed to hang in the air for an eternity, or so it felt watching the cross at the time - still not watched highlights to change my opinion. 

He is absolutely correct.

Well, at least 4 or 5 players anyway.

See the one thing I have grown to despise about Scottish fans from reading this board and maybe it is unfair in that it is not unique but it is the seeming endless rush to condemn quality players who have given their all for Scotland over many many years as rubbish or passed it after one bad game. People go on about what is wrong in our game, well you are. Folk who do it based on club rivalries are even worse.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

See the one thing I have grown to despise about Scottish fans from reading this board and maybe it is unfair in that it is not unique but it is the seeming endless rush to condemn quality players who have given their all for Scotland over many many years as rubbish or passed it after one bad game. People go on about what is wrong in our game, well you are. Folk who do it based on club rivalries are even worse.

Totally agree. Criticise underperformance by all means, but the level of infantile knickerwetting on here is unbelievable.

i really hope our players don't read this board. I'm sure they don't. 

Edited by Marky

The problem we had for both goals were Gordon's mistakes were only the last in a line of 2/3/4.

First goal Brown has to do better with that tackle, then 2 or 3 others sort of close the ball without actually getting close enough and I have a bit of sympathy with Gordon for that one as I don't think he could see it and didn't have much time to react.

The second Armstrong made the wrong decision and having done so then made a mess of a fairly simple pass. Fraser then didn't get close enough to block the cross, Mulgrew got caught ball watching and lost Kane and finally Gordon didn't come for the cross.

So frustrating!

I've been a huge advocate of Craig Gordon over the years.. since he was about 20 or so and taking his first steps in the international game... He's been brilliant for us whenever he's been called upon. 

Neither goal happens if Brown and Armstrong get the basics right, but that said.... Gordon was hugely at fault for both goals.... England should never have scored two goals yesterday.

I'm hugely frustrated that we didn't take the 3 points yesterday. Gordon has to shoulder a lot of the blame on this one, sorry to say.

11 hours ago, thplinth said:

Are you two new to football? This isn't unique to Scotland fans and being critical of players for underperforming is hardly new.

as I said above, laying the blame on Gordon is harsh and wrong. 4 or 5 players have to take responsibility for that goal. 

10 hours ago, Marky said:

Totally agree. Criticise underperformance by all means, but the level of infantile knickerwetting on here is unbelievable.

i really hope our players don't read this board. I'm sure they don't.