Are we really that surprised - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are we really that surprised

Stuzo

Still can't believe  what actually happened yesterday, but should we be that surprised as we do have a history of getting a draw/ defeat from the jaws of success , Belgium in 2000 we're 2-0 up only to draw 2-2 in the final minute,  Italy 1-1 only to lose 2-1 with a free kick ( should never had been) in the last minute, up next . Czech Rep 2-1 up only to concede a penalty again in the last minute 2-2, followed by Poland again 2-1 up, we can't defend the free kick 2-2 in the last minute , and finally but probably won't be the last time yesterday 2-1 up , final minute, 2-2. Coincidence , me thinks not! 

Stil hurting?

11 hours ago, Marky said:

Not that it lessens your point but neither the Italy or Poland late goals mattered 

They mattered at the time though.

It's been long said we are the Partick Thistle of international football,, and we've certainly got their habit of dropping late points...

13 hours ago, Stuzo said:

Still can't believe  what actually happened yesterday, but should we be that surprised as we do have a history of getting a draw/ defeat from the jaws of success , Belgium in 2000 we're 2-0 up only to draw 2-2 in the final minute,  Italy 1-1 only to lose 2-1 with a free kick ( should never had been) in the last minute, up next . Czech Rep 2-1 up only to concede a penalty again in the last minute 2-2, followed by Poland again 2-1 up, we can't defend the free kick 2-2 in the last minute , and finally but probably won't be the last time yesterday 2-1 up , final minute, 2-2. Coincidence , me thinks not! 

Stil hurting?

they'll be more to come this campaign

we'll work our way back into a play off position and then have it ripped away in the last minute

Guest BlueGaz

I was only surprised how well we actually did.  I wouldn't pick out anyone that played, and say they didn't play well, because they did.  We whine about fight sometimes, about players stepping up etc, and in this game they did.  A few players made a few mistakes, but not as many as we have previously in recent years.  Although England had possession in large parts of the game, after the first 20 minutes, they did almost fcuk all with it.  That was in the main because of the effort our team put in.

What we did lack, was that little bit of quality here and there.  But thats just the way it is at the moment with the players we have available.  I'm not a fan of Strachan at the moment, but he got most things right at the weekend from the selections to the tactics.  I just wish we could put that type of performance, aggression and discipline into every game we played.  We would qualify more often if we did.  Regardless of what happened prior to the last 2 mins, we were 2-1 up and should have won.  

There were several occasions when we could not keep possession and ended up passing back to Gordon for a punt up the park. If we can't keep possession for 5-6 passes then we are always going to tire out from too much chasing the game and be more liable to errors, last minute goals, etc. That's the real surprise to me as we should be more capable of keeping the ball than we displayed on Saturday and other recent games.

It was hard to take but, personally, I really wasn't surprised when the Kane goal went in at the end. We're kidding ourselves on if we think we're perennial bottle-merchants though. Remember - we equalised against Lithuania in the last minute and we won against Slovenia in the 88th minute in this campaign alone.

And the second free-kick might not have been given on another day. We can't carry on pretending these things never go our way because sometimes they do, sometimes not. Beat Lithuania away and Malta and home and we're right back in this.

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

They mattered at the time though.

It's been long said we are the Partick Thistle of international football,, and we've certainly got their habit of dropping late points...

I'm prepared to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure they didn't. Think we had to beat Italy and the fact that Ireland had beaten Germany meant that the Poland goal didn't matter either.

1 minute ago, Marky said:

I'm prepared to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure they didn't. Think we had to beat Italy and the fact that Ireland had beaten Germany meant that the Poland goal didn't matter either.

IIRC - Had we drawn with Italy, France would've had to go to Ukraine a few days later and win to qualify - As we got beaten they only had to draw

2 minutes ago, Robbo `81 said:

IIRC - Had we drawn with Italy, France would've had to go to Ukraine a few days later and win to qualify - As we got beaten they only had to draw

That's it. I think it just felt like it didn't matter as we all expected France to be able to finish the job if they needed to.

I certainly remember feeling like we really had to win.

Totally agree -- Always thought if France needed a draw they'd get one, if they needed a win they'd get one....

Suppose that epitomises what differentiates teams like France and teams like Scotland ultimately....

Edited by Robbo `81

23 minutes ago, Robbo `81 said:

Not quite. If we'd drawn with Italy then France would've needed a point from the game in Ukraine.

Last time round if we'd hung on for a win against Poland we'd then have needed Ireland to win in Warsaw.

Both unlikely results but at least we'd still be in it.

22 hours ago, Stuzo said:

Stil hurting?

World Cup Qualification 2018 goals scored after 80 minutes.

Scotland 5 - Remainder 1.

Bit off the mark Stuzo.

1 hour ago, teecee- said:

World Cup Qualification 2018 goals scored after 80 minutes.

Scotland 5 - Remainder 1.

Bit off the mark Stuzo.

he's off the mark that Scotland have a history of throwing it away in glorious failure, afraid not

9 hours ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

It was hard to take but, personally, I really wasn't surprised when the Kane goal went in at the end. We're kidding ourselves on if we think we're perennial bottle-merchants though. Remember - we equalised against Lithuania in the last minute and we won against Slovenia in the 88th minute in this campaign alone.

And the second free-kick might not have been given on another day. We can't carry on pretending these things never go our way because sometimes they do, sometimes not. Beat Lithuania away and Malta and home and we're right back in this.

How can we forget 1-0 v Lichtenstein in the 97th minute?

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

On 12/06/2017 at 8:41 AM, BlueGaz said:

I wouldn't pick out anyone that played, and say they didn't play well, because they did. 

In all honesty I thought Snodgrass was pretty shocking. His first touch was bad, he gave the ball away a few times when he could have easily moved it on and ended a couple of good moves in that way. Was glad when he got pulled off and it was a deserved substitution. I feel like he's been carrying some knock since early in the year, but with his club struggling and us struggling, he's carried on playing when he should probably have been recovering. Hopefully the summer break rejuvenates him.

Everyone else looked focussed and up for it tho. Well done to them.

Guest BlueGaz
38 minutes ago, andyD said:

In all honesty I thought Snodgrass was pretty shocking. His first touch was bad, he gave the ball away a few times when he could have easily moved it on and ended a couple of good moves in that way. Was glad when he got pulled off and it was a deserved substitution. I feel like he's been carrying some knock since early in the year, but with his club struggling and us struggling, he's carried on playing when he should probably have been recovering. Hopefully the summer break rejuvenates him.

Everyone else looked focussed and up for it tho. Well done to them.

Aye, a few we could discuss like you have, I wouldn't agree with shocking though.  I think I was praising a bit too much saying everyone played well.  :ok: