Last 4 matches - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Last 4 matches

romanticscot

56 minutes ago, todd said:

When did I say England were as bad as Scotland?  Are you on the piss or something ?

You were echoing Bino's point which I assumed you agreed with.

I am on the piss actually after work ;)

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, irish said:

How can you say England are as bad as Scotland but do it (assuming you mean underachieve) at a higher level? That makes no sense. 

England are a better team than Ireland,Scotland,Northern Ireland and Wales and will generally qualify for more tournaments and more often than the rest of us. 

If England were in our group I would expect us to do well against them but in all probability they'd still win the group as they always seem to get qualification wrapped up with little fuss while we'd probably settle for second. 

Their team isn't that bad. 

Wouldn't mind a few of their strikers ;)

England should be in the mix to win every tournament , like a Germany are

but their record is pathetic

so they routinely under achive, like Scotland but at a level above

btw, Ireland routinely over achive seeing as you are a nation of hurlers and rugby players with a strong dose of pretend Irish Englishmen chucked in...and you still proudly play kick and rush football with no shame

...so there

8 hours ago, Bino's said:

England should be in the mix to win every tournament , like a Germany are

but their record is pathetic

so they routinely under achive, like Scotland but at a level above

btw, Ireland routinely over achive seeing as you are a nation of hurlers and rugby players with a strong dose of pretend Irish Englishmen chucked in...and you still proudly play kick and rush football with no shame

...so there

But they're a better team than Scotland. How can they be as bad as Scotland if they're at a level above?

If you ignore their media hype England aren't as good as their hype suggests. They're a level above ourselves but not a heavyweight like Germany/Italy/Spain etc etc. 

If kick and rush shamelessly gets us to major tournaments, I'll take it my rim job friend :P:P

As for pretend Irishmen, I think Big Jack summed it up perfectly:

every player we brought into the squad considered himself Irish ... Had it not been for the economic circumstances which forced their parents or grandparents to emigrate, they would have been born and reared in Ireland. Should they now be victimized and denied their heritage because of the whims of journalists? I think not."

Economic circumstances brought on by some arsehole colonial power which as far as I remember Scotland was part of 

Oh and we also must thank your antecedent planters in the north of Ireland for the DUP. ;)

9 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Well, it's a pity he wasn't playing for you a few weeks ago. That would've suited us nicely. 

:lol:

He qualifies for us on the basis  that he smelt a pint of Guinness once 

7 hours ago, irish said:

But they're a better team than Scotland. How can they be as bad as Scotland if they're at a level above?

If you ignore their media hype England aren't as good as their hype suggests. They're a level above ourselves but not a heavyweight like Germany/Italy/Spain etc etc. 

If kick and rush shamelessly gets us to major tournaments, I'll take it my rim job friend :P:P

As for pretend Irishmen, I think Big Jack summed it up perfectly:

every player we brought into the squad considered himself Irish ... Had it not been for the economic circumstances which forced their parents or grandparents to emigrate, they would have been born and reared in Ireland. Should they now be victimized and denied their heritage because of the whims of journalists? I think not."

Economic circumstances brought on by some arsehole colonial power which as far as I remember Scotland was part of 

Oh and we also must thank your antecedent planters in the north of Ireland for the DUP. ;)

I understood his message to mean that they fail to meet the plausible expectations based on their talent. Our level is far less so for us we would be happy to qualify and be competitive in our group, for them despite their bloated and I would say disrespectful attitude they brush aside all others and believe to be at least a quarter finalists yet they never go deep in tournies. That's quite the run on sentence so forgive me. England should be assessing why they are self emploding in the groups, we should be looking at why we are not producing a deeper pool and a higher standard. England's issue I think is mentality and our is facilities, coaching and infrastructure. 

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

I understood his message to mean that they fail to meet the plausible expectations based on their talent. Our level is far less so for us we would be happy to qualify and be competitive in our group, for them despite their bloated and I would say disrespectful attitude they brush aside all others and believe to be at least a quarter finalists yet they never go deep in tournies. That's quite the run on sentence so forgive me. England should be assessing why they are self emploding in the groups, we should be looking at why we are not producing a deeper pool and a higher standard. England's issue I think is mentality and our is facilities, coaching and infrastructure. 

England have the same issues we have

a league full of foreigners and youth players no longer get game time and a chance to develop

England should be threatening to and winning the odd tourney

we should be qualifying every other tourney

both of us are performing where below where we should be and there seems nil appetite from the powers that be to try and change

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Good post. 

49 minutes ago, Bino's said:

England have the same issues we have

a league full of foreigners and youth players no longer get game time and a chance to develop

England should be threatening to and winning the odd tourney

we should be qualifying every other tourney

both of us are performing where below where we should be and there seems nil appetite from the powers that be to try and change

Why should England be threatening to win any major tournament? They're really not that good. Their media will hype everything anyway.

No offence but Scotland have no right to be expecting to qualify every euros/wc tournament. Like ourselves the least you'd expect is be competitive for 2nd place/possible playoff spot in qualifying groups and that's it. 

39 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

TLDR. please close this thread b4 it gets any worse 

39 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

TLDR. please close this thread b4 it gets any worse 

This thread could be worse by simpletons using 'B4' instead of before.

If you don't like the thread, then ignore it and post on another :)

3 hours ago, irish said:

This thread could be worse by simpletons using 'B4' instead of before.

If you don't like the thread, then ignore it and post on another :)

Bonny is like The Terminator. He can't be bargained with, he can't be reasoned with. 

Best just ignore him. 

17 hours ago, irish said:

Why should England be threatening to win any major tournament? They're really not that good. Their media will hype everything anyway.

No offence but Scotland have no right to be expecting to qualify every euros/wc tournament. Like ourselves the least you'd expect is be competitive for 2nd place/possible playoff spot in qualifying groups and that's it. 

You ask the question and then make the answer in your second sentence.

England 'should' be threatening to win tournaments because of the following:

• Long established traditional football nation with some of the biggest clubs in the world
  • A population of around 55m which is plenty to retain and replenish young and capable footballers
  • The richest football league by a huge margin

Now, their inability to compete at tournaments is because they fail to use what they have.  The international footballing deck of cards is so heavily weighted in their favour, their inability to compete is a structural problem entirely of their own making.

Scotland's problem is a backward-looking, insular, clique, arrogant one where we absolutely fail to see a problem, and believe (with absolutely no justification) that we have the talents and insight within our country to fix it.

The whole governance structure of Scottish football is parochial and under qualified.  Like England, we believe that having played football for 150 years somehow counts in a world that has completely changed, but we remain playing by outdated rules.

Edited by norsefox

9 hours ago, norsefox said:

You ask the question and then make the answer in your second sentence.

England 'should' be threatening to win tournaments because of the following:

• Long established traditional football nation with some of the biggest clubs in the world
  • A population of around 55m which is plenty to retain and replenish young and capable footballers
  • The richest football league by a huge margin

Now, their inability to compete at tournaments is because they fail to use what they have.  The international footballing deck of cards is so heavily weighted in their favour, their inability to compete is a structural problem entirely of their own making.

Scotland's problem is a backward-looking, insular, clique, arrogant one where we absolutely fail to see a problem, and believe (with absolutely no justification) that we have the talents and insight within our country to fix it.

The whole governance structure of Scottish football is parochial and under qualified.  Like England, we believe that having played football for 150 years somehow counts in a world that has completely changed, but we remain playing by outdated rules.

Ive always though England underachieve more than Scotland when you look at the resources they have they should be challenging to win tournements 

• Most Expensive National Football stadium in the world
  • Most expensive National Football training ground in the world
  • Until recently second highest managers salary on offer in International Football
  • The FA spend more than any other country on coaching for Managers and Coaches
  • Supposedly the best National League in the world
  • Their Domestic Clubs have some of the best coaches and training grounds in the world which also benefits the youth football
  • Richest FA in the world
  • Good size population compared to Portugal, Holland, Belgium, Uruguay, Chile, Croatia etc
  • Very good football infrasture
  • Long Tradition

1 hour ago, irish said:

:lol:

Apologies Keyboard Begbie. 

Please don't virtually glass me in the face.

genuine factual question here

what has Irelands qualification record been since the last time we qualified for a play off in 2003