Last 4 matches - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Last 4 matches

romanticscot

13 hours ago, bonny78 said:

This is pathetic.  Ppl still think we can do this just to get whacked in the playoffs by some kunts.

You're a boring wee gimp. Get some new patter.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bonny78 said:

Do you think this team could handle a play off v another 2nd placed team?

That would depend on who it was but I want us to get the chance to find out like any proper Scotland would, not just post negative shite in case we lose a playoff. That would be progress at least.

4 hours ago, bonny78 said:

Do you think this team could handle a play off v another 2nd placed team?

we very nearly just beat a first placed team.. not so long ago we beat croatia home and away. we drew with poland over 2 legs, beat ireland over 2 legs.

likely 2nd placed teams:
ireland, denmark, italy, greece, sweden, iceland, portugal, northern ireland.

2 of those are obviously really difficult, but the rest we're capable of rising to the occasion and beating.

you seem to be negative for the sake of being negative.

5 hours ago, Reevesy said:

We've scored 4 goals in the last 10 minutes of games in this campaign and conceded 1, one of them gave us a win over Slovenia. Not really sure that means we buckle under pressure in the final minutes.

Was thinking about Poland game and Saturday so maybe should have written , struggle to hold on to lead. We did it v Slovenia though. 

14 hours ago, Sherps said:

Next booking gets him a 1 game ban, so he should be looking to take a tactical booking in the closing stages of the Lithuania game, so he can sit out against Malta at home, and not risk either of the Slovenia/Slovakia games.

I'll get my well-earned on that then! I worry that he 'lets opponent know he is there' early in a game, so he is walking a tightrope and we are nail biting for 70 minutes or so. I appreciate this aspect of the game but Broony is not exactly subtle with it. IMO he is nailed on to do it early v both Slovs and probably Lithuania so the mountains could get even steeper. Feck me, how many footballing cliches is that in a single post?!

Although I remain hopeful that we can win our remaining games, what worries me is how everyone is assuming the Malta game is a formality.  All the teams in our group have made heavy weather of beating them.  On the outside it appears that we hammered them but, as we all know, that scoreline was aided by some questionable refereeing.  Also, we don't exactly have a stellar record of sweeping these type of nations to the side with ease!

9 hours ago, bonny78 said:

Like craig gordon did?

:lol:

-If Slovakia beat Slovenia, they'll also beat Malta, which'd give them at least 18. Slovakia have got a much better goal difference than us, meaning we'd need to win all 4 games to get 2nd.

-If Slovakia and Slovenia draw, then we can afford to draw with Slovakia, as long as we win the other 3 games and Slovakia lose at Wembley. Taking 10 points with the draw coming in Slovenia would also be enough, as long as Slovakia don't win at Wembley.

-If Slovenia win in Slovakia, they'll likely beat Lithuania as well, although 10 points would still be enough for us with a scenario where we end up level on points with Slovenia and it going to goal difference.

If we don't beat Lithuania, 3 wins from the last 3 would might well still be enough, although we'd only have 17/18 points.

Looking at the likely points totals of the other 2nd places and the remaining fixtures, I can see the 2nd place in 6 groups getting to at least 20 points. I think it's between our group, Denmark/Montenegro and Northern Ireland/Czech Republic for the worst 2nd place. I can see whichever team finishes 2nd in both of those groups taking 18 points, with a small chance one will finish on less.

Having said all that, I can see Slovakia beating Slovenia, which would mean we'd need to win all 4

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:33 AM, JECK said:

Just thinking back to the last campaign after the summer we picked up a pathetic 1 point (not counting Gibraltar). 

We can beat Lithuania away and Malta at home no question. Whether we can get the 6 points is another thing altogether. 

we can scrape past Slovakia at home on a given day yes.

Slovenia away after a probable bruising encounter v Slovakia? Serious doubts about that one. 

we can beat Slovakia at home but can we win away, including in Lithuania