You'll never recover. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

You'll never recover.

GaryWood34

That was the happiest you'll ever be. When that 2nd free kick hit the net. That was it. That was the pinnacle of your life. The best you will ever feel.

Maybe you think that's not correct, maybe you think that the day your baby is born or your wedding day will provide a happier moment - they won't. Both of those events are planned and expected. That goal wasn't. It was a shock. The best shock. 

You wont recover.

That equaliser is the saddest you'll ever feel. When that ball hit the net is the lowest point of your life. The worse you'll ever feel.

Maybe you think that's not correct. Maybe you think there are sadder moments. A death perhaps, let's say your uncle died. Death is expected. Maybe not straight away but it will happen and we all know this. That England goal didn't need to happen.

Youll won't recover.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole stadium was going absolutely beserk when the second one went in and I do think you may be right, Gary, about it being the best feeling many of us have felt given births and marriages have different timeframes. I have two young laddies and after their births I felt relief and gratitude they were both born healthy and my lassie was okay and able to make a normal recovery from it. 

But that moment when we all realised that Griffiths had done it again was almost indescribable. I'll try, though: pure, unadulterated, undiluted joy and ecstasy, grown men crying with joy, people besides themselves, hugging and bouncing about with strangers who are all at that special moment our brothers and sisters for ever. The scenes in the crowd are utterly incredible. I have never seen or heard a goal celebration like that. I am eternally grateful to Griffiths for giving me those two moments of exhilaration and that's what I'm dwelling on.

Yes, their equaliser was bloody awful, but with three minutes to go we were losing, so it could have been much worse. In my opinion, the death of loved ones and the independence referendum defeat represent far worse moments.

6 minutes ago, Jamesie Cotter said:

All that stuff about football being more important than life and death......is bollocks.

Bloody drama queen.

Correct,

To compare England's equaliser with the loss of a loved one, bonkers.

Unless of course he's at it and I've just been wooshed.  

3 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

To compare England's equaliser with the loss of a loved one, bonkers.

You'd like to think he's at the wind up... 

Losing a loved one hurts deep and hard the pain of the england equaliser lasted a millisecond when it went in i just thought is ther enough time for them to get another.by the way gary have you ever watched your team get relegated even though you know its coming it hurts like hell and stays with you forever

18 minutes ago, hoofitharder said:

Losing a loved one hurts deep and hard the pain of the england equaliser lasted a millisecond when it went in i just thought is ther enough time for them to get another.by the way gary have you ever watched your team get relegated even though you know its coming it hurts like hell and stays with you forever

I've watched Scotland get relegated from regular tournament goers to qualification group mid table also rans

2 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

Some folk can't get it out their heads...

Pure unfettered joy. Iv'e watched videos of the second goal in particular 100 times, just to relive the scenes in the stands. Absolutely mental. Best celebration to a goal i've ever seen, never mind been involved in. I'm not sure that feeling will ever be eclipsed. 

6 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Pure unfettered joy. Iv'e watched videos of the second goal in particular 100 times, just to relive the scenes in the stands. Absolutely mental. Best celebration to a goal i've ever seen, never mind been involved in. I'm not sure that feeling will ever be eclipsed. 

Correct.

I still hurt from it. Knees are in bits.

First goal - Police kept us back.

Second goal - They joined in.

Edited by GaryWood34

I don't think I've ever celebrated a goal like that for club or country. Been some close calls, Jim McInyre in 1997 semi replay, Ally Mitchell ending 10IAR at Ibrox in injury time,  DVT scoring vs Celtic with minutes to go in the League Cup Final, Faddy in Paris, Ferguson vs Italy, McCulloch vs Ukraine, Faddy vs Holland, Caldwell Vs France but I think Griffith's second goal on Saturday beats them all.

Absolute scenes.

It was the best goal celebration I have ever seen or been part of. We were in B1 in the West stand right behind the goal and when the ball hit the net.....what a feeling. It hasn't been that good being a Scotland fan for a long time. 

Then it was snatched away. I could greet every time I think about it.

As one of my mates put it, probably the most Scottish thing Scotland has ever done. I doubt we'll ever see a five minutes like it again. One of the greatest highs before one of the greatest lows. Only Scotland could do something like it. The celebrations for the first were incredible but to have exactly the same opportunity moments later and score again - absolute carnage. Have watched thon Greig Stott's video a dozen times and it's a marvellous window into the emotions and passion of being a Scotland fan. 

Scotland eh? 

38 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't think I've ever celebrated a goal like that for club or country. Been some close calls, Jim McInyre in 1997 semi replay, Ally Mitchell ending 10IAR at Ibrox in injury time,  DVT scoring vs Celtic with minutes to go in the League Cup Final, Faddy in Paris, Ferguson vs Italy, McCulloch vs Ukraine, Faddy vs Holland, Caldwell Vs France but I think Griffith's second goal on Saturday beats them all.

Absolute scenes.

It was insane! I started welling up, the works! :cry: Even remember at the time thinking "Jesus, man. WFT are you crying for"! I literally could not hold back though, it was what we all traipse along for time after time.

Aye, Kane may well have dug the knife in a couple of minutes later, but that feeling, and noise will live with me for a very, very long time.

22 minutes ago, northernscum said:

It was insane! I started welling up, the works! :cry: Even remember at the time thinking "Jesus, man. WFT are you crying for"! I literally could not hold back though, it was what we all traipse along for time after time.

Aye, Kane may well have dug the knife in a couple of minutes later, but that feeling, and noise will live with me for a very, very long time.

Cried twice at football.

1. When Morrison opened the scoring at Wembley

2. When the ball hit the net on Saturday to make it 2-1. Bubbled.

Soon stopped when they scored.

1 hour ago, RabtheBruce said:

That's absolutely quality about the police! ??

They just lost it.

I was in UU in West Stand and all game they segregated well between two sets of fans who were extremely close in proximity. After each flashpoint they remained professional and carried out their duties but who can blame them for dropping the mask at that second goal. 2 of them just went ballistic when the 2nd one hit.

They're scottish and they're human. Everyone just lost it.

26 minutes ago, northernscum said:

Same here mate. And don't let anyone say Hampden can't create an atmosphere. When it roars, it sure as fcuk roars. Give me it over a 3 tier Wembley or Aviva any day.

2 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

They just lost it.

I was in UU in West Stand and all game they segregated well between two sets of fans who were extremely close in proximity. After each flashpoint they remained professional and carried out their duties but who can blame them for dropping the mask at that second goal. 2 of them just went ballistic when the 2nd one hit.

They're scottish and they're human. Everyone just lost it.

...and it helps that they were being paid for the privilege too!