Anya - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anya

alanf1314

What has happened to him? He's never been able to defend, however he's been awful going forward lately. Looks like a player with zero confidence. Surely we have a better option if we are planning to keep him as a RWB? :blink:

Anya has the pace that can be of use to us, and while worthy of his place in the squad, feel his Scotland career peaked a while back and he is no longer the first name on the team sheet that he was in 2014 and 2015.

I think when asked to defend his weaknesses do show (a number of times in the past when he has been asked to defend he has had a habit of being caught out of position), but nobody can question his work rate when given the freedom to play further forward.

He will still make squads for a while yet, but his chances of starting games will become more limited (I think Strachan will now view getting Fraser into his team a point over the remainder of the campaign)

Edited by wanderer

Can we add Snodgrass to the list of asking WTF has happened. More so than Anya who has always been a bit of one trick pony. Snodgrass has been honking this entire campaign. And I include Malta where he scored the worst hat-trick ever. A cross, a pen and tap in. Unless he does something spectacular at the start of next season for West Ham he shouldnt be anywhere near starting for Sept and Oct games.

Callum Patterson will surely take the right back spot (if fit) in the upcoming games.

Re the first post you could say the exact same about Snodgrass. I haven't been paying any attention to his West Ham career but by all accounts he hasn't been playing well. An on form Snoddy is vital as he's the most creative player we have.

Edited by JECK

13 minutes ago, JECK said:

Callum Patterson will surely take the right back spot (if fit) in the upcoming games.

Re the first post you could say the exact same about Snodgrass. I haven't been paying any attention to his West Ham career but by all accounts he hasn't been playing well. An on form Snoddy is vital as he's the most creative player we have.

October before Paterson is due to start playing again, so his campaign is over just now.

Strachan likes to work on a game-by-game basis, so would imagine who will (not greatly....) switch things around at the back for the next match again for Lithuania and Malta.

17 minutes ago, JECK said:

Lots of reports they are trying to get rid, but Snoddy seems to be saying he's staying put and commited until told otherwise. So would I on 50k a week :lol:

As for Anya, the most mysterious thing for me is what has happened to his pace? He had incredible acceleration when he first came into the international fold. he's still in his 20s so it's surely not just age. Last time i saw him sprint away onto something was in Georgia when he went past their full back and had about 15 yards on him then inexplicably checked back.

One trick pony but it's a great trick. Got to be a winger for us if he plays though, and these days more likely as a late impact sub for Fraser/Burke.

Anya's quick without the ball, but very average if he's having to dribble, rather than just knock if well ahead of him and sprint to it. I'm sure we'll see him at left wing again sometime, but at the moment he's one of very few who can fill in at right back while paterson is out injured. He's dont ok there tbh. i dont think england really exposed him at all.

Snoddy does need a rest and to come back fresher, fitter and more determined. Fingers crossed for him.

3 hours ago, andyD said:

Anya's quick without the ball, but very average if he's having to dribble, rather than just knock if well ahead of him and sprint to it. I'm sure we'll see him at left wing again sometime, but at the moment he's one of very few who can fill in at right back while paterson is out injured. He's dont ok there tbh. i dont think england really exposed him at all.

Snoddy does need a rest and to come back fresher, fitter and more determined. Fingers crossed for him.

Anya has something to offer in a game where he can run at a slow defence.  Defending and up against fast wing backs isn't his game.

Snodgrass has been absolutely woeful for us recently.  England/Slovakia/Lithuania/Canada/Slovenia/England.

Against Canada he was downright embarrassing.  His head just isn't right.  Needs to get back in form.

On 12/06/2017 at 0:41 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Should be nowhere near the starting 11.

He should, he just probably shouldn't be in it.

Is he an international quality right back? No. But he's a useful player to have in the squad, his pace is still a weapon that could prove useful and his workrate can't really be questioned. An excellent profile for a late sub, and he's versatile enough to fill any gaps that might otherwise be absent from the bench.

I've watched Anya flit in and out of a very average Derby side all season. 

He doesn't really have a position. He's ok as a make shift wing back, he's ok as a winger, and he's ok as a wide midfielder. 

You can never fault his effort. 

The frustrating thing with him is that he has skill, beats a man, gets into a good position and then makes a mess of the final ball. 

As most people are saying, he's a decent squad player.