Womens UEFA finals in Utrecht.Pubs and where tae go - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Womens UEFA finals in Utrecht.Pubs and where tae go

Angstgoose

As I posted earlier, I have been living in Utrecht fer last 15 years and couldnae believe oor luck that Scotland England game is here. Ma daughter is Scotland daft but never been tae a game, so this worked oot a treat :spin:

Anyway I thought it was my duty ;) tae offer up some insider knowledge of Utrecht. Beautiful city with a large student population, way better than shitty Amsterdoom. Its small enough that you can cover city centre easily on foot.

PUBS:

There are lots of pubs on the Oudegracht which is the main canal / drag through the city centre. If you cant be bothered searching anything oot just head for the Oudegracht.

O'LEARYS http://www.olearys-utrecht.com/

Best pub in centre ( edge of ), I already spoke to the owner Adrian about posting here and he is more than happy tae have Tartan Army visit his premises. Forget O'Connels ( theme pub ) this pub is run by genuine Irish, they also import Guiness fae Ireland so you're not drinking that Belgium brewed namesake. Food is also like home cooking, all dishes you would get in the UK, even the feel of the pub makes me feel at home apart fae the big bloody windmill across the road. He's also got big screens etc for those who don't make the game. If you go, tell him Angus sent you : )

KAFE BELGIE https://www.facebook.com/KafeBelgie

This pub is situated on the Oudegracht itself. Over 100 beers to choose from. Friendly crowd of serious drinkers ;) Also do decent food too.

MICK O'CONNELS http://utrecht.mickoconnells.nl/

Also a popular pub and again situated in the centre. Not my choice of haunts but does sell decent beer and food is also ok ( so I here )

To be honest plenty of decent pubs in centre just explore.

THINGS TO DO

Climb the Dom Tower https://www.domtoren.nl/en

In Holland the tallest building in most city centres is the church. Utrechts Dom Tower is defo worth a visit. Bit of a climb but fantastic views of the city. A lot of history.

Take a boat on the canal. Loads of cruises or take a canoe or pedalo around the vast waterways of Utrecht. Nice way to see the city fae another perspective.

MUSIC

Loads of decent music venues in Utrecht. TivoliVredenburg, Tivoli De Helling, ACU, EKKO, DBs and RASA. I am an old punk masel so ACU is more that kinda thing plus sells vegan food. DBs is my local ( practice there with my band ) and has a wide variety of bands plus cheap beer ( though not in centre ). Both Tivoli venues are the main concert venues of the city. EKKO is the a good spot, does food and decent bands from time to time.

Hope this is of help and hopefully see yoos there either in O'Learys or at the game

Cheers

Angus

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very useful. Thanks.

I'm booked up. Flying out on the Wednesday but I race against time to get from Amsterdam airport to the apartment and then to Utrecht for the game. Transport links from Amsterdam city centre to Utrecht look decent enough that I should make it. 

Cheers Mick, hopefully see you there :). I see yer fae Blackpool, are you the bloke I was drinking wi in Weatherspoons by any chance ? Trains fae Amsterdam are every 15 minutes and take 30 minutes journey time.

Use this train website ( also a telephone app ) in english http://www.ns.nl/en

Or 9292 plans your journey complete walking,bus, train etc ( also available as an app ) and also in english https://9292.nl/en

Cheers

Angus

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2017 at 6:41 PM, tartanpar said:

Thanks for that post. Very helpful.

Unfortunately I don't think there will be many Scots there. Hopefully a 100 or so.

Thanks, glad to offer my local knowledge.

Checked a few days ago. More than 500+ tickets sold spread over both Scotland sections.Whether that will all be Scots or also some locals too. Sadly not on par with mens team but here's hoping we sing louder than the english as we always do : )

On 29/06/2017 at 6:20 AM, Angstgoose said:

Thanks, glad to offer my local knowledge.

Checked a few days ago. More than 500+ tickets sold spread over both Scotland sections.Whether that will all be Scots or also some locals too. Sadly not on par with mens team but here's hoping we sing louder than the english as we always do : )

Good info for anybody goin over to support the ladies team your right not on a par with the men's team as the ladies have actually qualified for the latter stages of a tournie ?

• 2 weeks later...

Thought that I should repost this here , aye sad state of affairs but oan the other hand it was oan a list along wi things like wimbeldon, 4th of july etc...basically Is Is are saying bomb everything.

No saying don't be vigilant because wise tae be aware. On the other hand security has been stepped up massively.

A couple of points...advisable not to take rucksacks to the game. Email should have been received by all ticket holders as this will cause delays getting in.

Also only printed A4 tickets will be accepted not PDF files on whatever on yer phone.

Gonna be 30 degrees tomorrow wi chance of rain / lightening later...will be like a hame game then...pissin doon.

PS

Nae tartan burkas :lol:

Hope the supporters heading out to this have a great time.

Are the bookies a bit clueless regarding the odds to this? I don't know that much, but Iceland - who are a fairly decent side - were 21/1 to beat France tonight! It ended up 1-0 thanks to a very lucky French penalty in the 85 minute and whilst France were the better side, Iceland had their chances and there was little in the game itself, nothing like 21/1 odds. I notice we are 11/1 tomorrow, do we have more than an optimistic punt chance of winning? Or are the bookies way off here?

Edited by weekevie04

10 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

I notice we are 11/1 tomorrow, do we have more than an optimistic punt chance of winning? Or are the bookies way off here?

Hard to say. I seem to remember something like a 4-4 draw last time the teams played but while England have improved since then, so have Scotland. And England have previous in terms of massively underperforming at Euro finals. The odds perhaps reflect the absence of Beattie and Little. Be great to get a result and put all the 'Mighty Lionesses' mince at a peep.

10 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Hope the supporters heading out to this have a great time.

Are the bookies a bit clueless regarding the odds to this? I don't know that much, but Iceland - who are a fairly decent side - were 21/1 to beat France tonight! It ended up 1-0 thanks to a very lucky French penalty in the 85 minute and whilst France were the better side, Iceland had their chances and there was little in the game itself, nothing like 21/1 odds. I notice we are 11/1 tomorrow, do we have more than an optimistic punt chance of winning? Or are the bookies way off here?

I would say the bookies are pretty spot on with that, possibly a bit generous to us.

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

England in a different league unfortunately. They're so much stronger at the back.

Without question they are. Everyone of their team are full time professionals.

The fact we're missing 2 of our best players in Beattie & Little doesn't help & neither does having Fay & Dieke in the team ???

1 hour ago, Glasgowmancity said:

Without question they are. Everyone of their team are full time professionals.

The fact we're missing 2 of our best players in Beattie & Little doesn't help & neither does having Fay & Dieke in the team ???

How many of ours are professional?

Thought they did alright in small doses. Nice wee one, twos but that was mostly when the pressure was off and we were 4-0 down. Don't know if it was nerves or what, but the first 20-30 minutes the tactic of punting it up to Ross seemed to be our only way of playing which ended up with England soaking up the ball with relative ease. Also, quite a lot of misplaced passes and basic errors when we had the ball.

Defensively they looked poor, the right back had a stinker. You feared an England goal every time they were in and about the box.

Looking at Portugal though and it seems according to Soccerway that they are not in the best of recent form either. So hopefully they can dust themselves down and put in a better performance.

Anyhoos, its still an excellent achievement just qualifying. Weren't we absolutely terrible about 15-20 years in ladies football? We seem to have come on leaps and bounds.

Edited by weekevie04