Womens UEFA finals in Utrecht.Pubs and where tae go - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Womens UEFA finals in Utrecht.Pubs and where tae go

Angstgoose

Just saw the highlights on Reporting Scotland. I know that people say you cant compare the womens game to mens, and thats certainly an opinion, but we compare the Scottish Premiership to English, Dutch and Swedish etc leagues, so I cant see why its wrong to compare the womens game to mens. Scotland should have scored but an appalling piece of play by the Scottish striker, then defending worse than Sunday league by us cost us a goal. We scored a good goal, then Portugals winner was abysmal goalkeeping.

Sorry, but is thats the standard of play then it really is dreadful. That isnt sexist, it isnt misogynist, it isnt arrogant or condescending, its just an opinion based on what Ive seen of us so far. I also think Dundee FC are shite, and I pay to watch them strangely. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 21/07/2017 at 10:22 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

No digging needed, the standard is utter sh1te.

Standard may be shi1te but it is improving all the time and the men could learn a lot from the womens attitude to the game, the lack of rolling about and complaining, the dedication ot the sport etc..  I remember a few years back Julie Fleeting played for Scotland one day then the next day played in the FA cup final for Arsenal, didn't complain about too many matches!  Its been a disappointing tournie for Scotland thus far - injuries to key players hasn't helped but hopefully they will learn from it and come back stronger next time.

They must play some amount of games, there are players with huge amounts of caps compared to the men!

The standard isn't great, especially from us, but it is improving. And when it comes down to it you're watching a competitive sport where you have a natural instinct to support one team.

Put it this way, Laura Muir's times may not beat Mo Farah's but I know who I'll be cheering on more come the world championships...

21 minutes ago, Jagtag said:

I saw some of it and it's a dreadful quality. If the winner of this tournament was allowed to play in the bottom division in Scotland they wouldn't even get 1 point over a whole season.

Yup, kinda the point I was trying to make.

Pollok would win this Tournament!

47 minutes ago, Jagtag said:

I saw some of it and it's a dreadful quality. If the winner of this tournament was allowed to play in the bottom division in Scotland they wouldn't even get 1 point over a whole season.

25 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yup, kinda the point I was trying to make.

Pollok would win this Tournament!

And Jamie Murray could win the ladies singles at Wimbledon. It's comparing chalk and cheese.

On 7/20/2017 at 5:27 PM, PASTA Mick said:

You can't compare men's football to women's football. 

Yesterday was very poor but I've seen Scotland lose 6-0 in Holland before. 

Think we might have lost 7-0 in our first male finals appearance too.

Not sure why there is such a witch hunt going on here. Probably failed boys teams coaches, poor footballers or just dads who thought their sons were better than they were.

27 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

If that was the mans team that got humiliated at a national finals then this place would be in meltdown. What happened to equality FFS

Each and everyone of them should hang there boots up

Thank fukk Signeul's oot 

Brutal but honest, problem is this place wouldn't go into meltdown, it would accept it and return to the normal apathy you would associate with most Scotland football supporters. I would be one of the ones joining you in meltdown;)

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Brutal but honest, problem is this place wouldn't go into meltdown, it would accept it and return to the normal apathy you would associate with most Scotland football supporters. I would be one of the ones joining you in meltdown;)

I'm disappointed they got pumped but not raging like I'd be if it was the big team. I'm just bringing myself into the modern era and indulging in a bit of equal opportunities

They should hang there sports bra's up as soon as the plane hits the tarmac 

Watched the whole tournament and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Scotland were very fortunate to win tonight, but they dug in well and were excellent defensively. Fay and Dieke have looked very suspect in the previous two games, but tonight both played out of their skin. Fay had a couple of iffy moments - handling it outside the box, and one almost going in over her head - but she made up for it with 3/4 very good saves. I have no idea how Spain didn't win that. A mixture of fortune for us, and some absolute sitters missed by them plus the woodwork too.

Well done the lassies though. And that win is the bogey off their back for the next tournament - if they qualify. The qualifying group looks alright for the WC with Scotland the 2nd seed and Switzerland top - who didn't qualify for the QFs of the Euros either.

I like the unpredictability of it too. Not knowing if the defender will hook it clear, the keeper will pull off a great save or a terrible blunder, or they'll score an absolute peach when in the box. The lack of simulation and very little mouthing off at each other/the refs too has been refreshing viewing as well as very dedicated, hard-working players. 

Although a bit of a glory hunter and late to the party, I hope folk go to see them in the qualifiers in September and they go on and qualify for more tournaments.

1 minute ago, weekevie04 said:

Scotland were very fortunate to win tonight, but they dug in well and were excellent defensively. Fay and Dieke have looked very suspect in the previous two games, but tonight both played out of their skin. Fay had a couple of iffy moments - handling it outside the box, and one almost going in over her head - but she made up for it with 3/4 very good saves. I have no idea how Spain didn't win that. A mixture of fortune for us, and some absolute sitters missed by them plus the woodwork too.

Well done the lassies though. And that win is the bogey off their back for the next tournament - if they qualify. The qualifying group looks alright for the WC with Scotland the 2nd seed and Switzerland top - who didn't qualify for the QFs of the Euros either.

I like the unpredictability of it too. Not knowing if the defender will hook it clear, the keeper will pull off a great save or a terrible blunder, or they'll score an absolute peach when in the box. The lack of simulation and very little mouthing off at each other/the refs too has been refreshing viewing as well as very dedicated, hard-working players. 

Although a bit of a glory hunter and late to the party, I hope folk go to see them in the qualifiers in September and they go on and qualify for more tournaments.

Good post.

2 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Beat Spain 1-0 tonight but go out of GD. We needed to win 2-0.

Great effort considering the group and the amount of key players we had missing. 

Agreed. There's certainly a lot of potential with this team. Aside from the thumping against England, it's been a pretty successful campaign. Hopefully the experience from the tournament can help in the future and enable us to qualify again. The World Cup qualifying group looks quite favourable, so we may qualify for that.

I hope that this experience can raise the profile of women's football in Scotland and enable more investment to be put into the game. I think if our top women's sides became professional, it would enable Scottish football to reach the next level and to compete more effectively at the top level. Although the funding may not be there to achieve this in the near future. It would be good if the women's sides that have male teams - Celtic, Rangers, Hibs - could assist in the funding of their women's sides to enable this transition to occur.

Let's not forget that women's football has come a very long way in Scotland in a short space of time. If you go back ten years, we were a very long way away from reaching a major finals - now we're at a stage where the women's team will be disappointed not to qualify. The gap is closing between us and the top sides in Europe, who knows where we can be in another ten years with the right investment and attention given to the women's game.

53 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Very good overview and agree re the simulation and mouthing off. 

Watched it tonight through hope more than expectation and really enjoyed it. Thought they were greatly improved from the England game and 10/10 for effort . 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Beat Spain 1-0 tonight but go out of GD. We needed to win 2-0.

Great effort considering the group and the amount of key players we had missing. 

Sorry, but can someone tell me why a 2-0 win would have got us thru?  

our goal diff would still be miles behind Spain......( and Portugal) for that matter....

12 minutes ago, stocky said:

our goal diff would still be miles behind Spain......( and Portugal) for that matter....

It's a UEFA competition, so it would've put us through under head-to-head.

15 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

It's a UEFA competition, so it would've put us through under head-to-head.

ok cool, but we beat Spain on the head to head we beat them 1-0....

so we should be above them then...

so it must have gone to another level.....  

3 minutes ago, stocky said:

ok cool, but we beat Spain on the head to head we beat them 1-0....

so we should be above them then...

so it must have gone to another level.....  

I'm guessing with this, but Spain beat Portugal 2-0 - so I think we had to equal their tally against Portugal (win by two goals) to go through e.g if Spain had won 1-0 against Portugal, tonight's result  would have been enough tonight, but then again if they had beaten Portugal 6-0, we'd have had to beat Spain by the same.

Edited by weekevie04

2 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

I'm guessing with this, but Spain beat Portugal 2-0 - so I think we had to equal their tally against Portugal (win by two goals) to go through e.g if Spain had won 1-0 against Portugal, tonight's result  would have been enough tonight, but then again if they had beaten Portugal 6-0, we'd have had to beat Spain by the same.

Ta, it wouldn't be a SCOTLAND team at a Finals if we weren't put out on some sort of goal difference/head to head/ strange rule..  its always been the same.....

s

13 minutes ago, stocky said:

Ta, it wouldn't be a SCOTLAND team at a Finals if we weren't put out on some sort of goal difference/head to head/ strange rule..  its always been the same.....

s

To be fair, a lot of the times we were put out by goal difference /head to head means it was bad luck and we were good enough to progress further   

Not on this occasion

On 24/07/2017 at 6:03 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

If that was the mans team that got humiliated at a national finals then this place would be in meltdown. What happened to equality FFS

Each and everyone of them should hang there boots up

Thank fukk Signeul's oot 

Tremendous performance and result tonight from the lassies.  The men's team dan only dream of beating Spain and missing the quarter finals by a single goal despite the loss of half their first choice team. 

Moan the lassies. 

1 hour ago, stocky said:

Three teams tied on 3 points. The results between those three teams were used to form a mini-league and gave Spain the top place as they won 2-0 and lost 1-0, hence GD +1.  Scotland lost 2-1 and won 1-0, GD 0.  Portugal lost 2-0 and won 2-1, GD -1. 

Pretty sure the men's Euros and World Cup will work the same way with a three way tie. 

I really like Gemma Fay, like listening to her on Off The Ball and a great ambassador for the women's game in Scotland.