SKY TV : a tax on Scottish football ? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SKY TV : a tax on Scottish football ?

Haggis_trap

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

The BBC pays Gary Lineker and Allan Shearer more per year than it does towards Scottish football. Yaayyyyyy. 

Almost double, I think?

One of Lineacre's lugs gets about as much as the Scottish Champions. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky is part of the problem not the solution. 

We need to find a way to get folk attending games without selling our soul (or anything else) to Sky. 

If you think football on tv is part of the solution, and I don't know if it is, then it's the BBC that needs to be showing much more of the Scottish game.

Anyway I don't agree with the argument. Sky buys a ton of products at market value (EPL, SPL, athletics, badminton etc etc et ) package that up and sell it as a combined product to consumers. I don't get the argument as to why they, vs any other company, ought to then reinvest their profits based on consumer nationality/interests. The profits belong to the shareholder who has used their capital to manufacture and sell the product. Any redistribution of this profit should be via general taxation and not on a company by company basis (which would be impossible). I do agree that corporation tax is a mess though and imposing some kind of turnover tax on foreign companies based on location of sale/consumer might be an option to address widespread tax avoidance. But this is a much wider conversation/problem than how sky's profits are taxed (and has its own issues).

Interesting arguments & I get as annoyed as anyone that the English leagues get so much whilst in Scotland we get the scraps - even more so at folk who bemoan the standard of Scottish football whilst they ignore it & 'support' man u/city/liverpool etc - they might as well support Coronation Street!

For me though part of the problem is the way we slavishly try to emulate the leagues down south thinking that'll mean we'll automatically get megabucks too - for example:

Renaming the leagues to 'premiership, championship' etc - load of toss that means nothing

Having (relatively) large all seater stadia because of the Taylor report, which didn't really apply here (I do admit that the grounds needed modernising, but it just meant that clubs had to spend A LOT of cash when their budget or crowds couldn't sustain it).

For me we should stop trying to directly compete & actually use what's different as a selling point - then build on that.

For example:

Summer football - lets do it! I reckon it'd widen the exposure of the league.

Bring back beer sales at grounds, it'd probably have to be weakened beer, but it'd be a great revenue stream for clubs.

Safe standing - I'm all for it, helps the atmosphere

Get someone who's actually good at marketing these things to help, dare I say Barry Hearn?! Look what he did with darts & snooker - they are PUB GAMES FFS!!!

Once you have those things &/or other things too, it might generate a bit more revenue/advertising & a better TV deal, the standard might improve & then more people start watching, more money made available to the clubs, better players, standard improves etc etc.

Anyway, just my 2p's worth.