Goal difference is crucial - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Goal difference is crucial

hamilton wanderer

Ranking of runners-up
Pos Grp Team
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification
1 G 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 4 3 1 0 9 4 +5 10 Advance to second round (play-offs)
2 C 23px-Flag_of_Northern_Ireland.svg.png Northern Ireland 5 3 1 1 7 2 +5 10
3 A 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 5 3 1 1 8 4 +4 10
4 I 21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png Iceland 5 3 1 1 7 5 +2 10
5 B 23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Portugal 4 3 0 1 15 2 +13 9
6 F 23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png Slovakia 5 3 0 2 9 3 +6 9
7 H 23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png Greece 5 2 3 0 6 2 +4 9
8 D 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Republic of Ireland 5 2 3 0 5 3 +2 9
9 E 23px-Flag_of_Montenegro.svg.png Montenegro 5 2 1 2 9 7 +2 7  

This is the current rankings for 2nd placed teams (results against the 6th placed teams are taken out)

We have 5 points from 5 games but a horrendous -5 goal difference

So assuming we beat Malta at home (it still matters to ensure we get 2nd but the number of goals scored is irrelevant) we really need to win the other 3 I would say as we'll never make up 7 goals

As difficult as the goal difference looks the table itself gives grounds for optimism if we can at least get 3 wins and a draw

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's all about being better than the worst placed 2nd team (currently Montenegro). we are one point behind but much worse off on goal difference. If we win all 3 games (where the score counts) then we'll obviously be at worst -2. If we somehow went 2-0 up in Vilnius for example it should be attack, attack attack because the goals could be really crucial looking at that table. Of course we do need to finish 2nd first which I agree is a tall order but certainly possible 

Weirdly, as was mentioned, 3 wins and a draw may be  enough but out of those results we would actually want the draw to be with Malta.  As the results against the bottom team are discounted this would not count as dropped points regarding play off spots!  If I remember right, in a way, this is how we qualified for 98 world cup as best runners up even though we had dropped points to Estonia, they were not counted.

2 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

We are beating malta ok so its only 3 games..

You're almost promoting the possibility of us being able to actually achieve this now, in stark contrast to some of your earlier posts.  You're all over the place man! ;)

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I pray that the players don't have that mindset otherwise we have lost before we even start.

Haha aye 

apologies but many campaigns in a row are we talking goals difference etc to make a play off? Too many and an all too similar result. 

Not.good.enough.

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

Haha aye 

apologies but many campaigns in a row are we talking goals difference etc to make a play off? Too many and an all too similar result. 

Not.good.enough.

It won't come down to goal difference. It is simply a matter of win every game we have left and we'll be in the play-offs. If we have a positive mindset it isn't so undo-able. Lithuania away will be tricky as they've always proven to be against us but they have been leaking goals of late. Malta at home should be straight-forward. Slovakia at home - well if we create a great atmosphere and play to a good tempo I can't see why we can't win. Away to Slovenia - well I was very disappointed in them at Hampden so I'd be hopeful of us winning.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It won't come down to goal difference. It is simply a matter of win every game we have left and we'll be in the play-offs. If we have a positive mindset it isn't so undo-able. Lithuania away will be tricky as they've always proven to be against us but they have been leaking goals of late. Malta at home should be straight-forward. Slovakia at home - well if we create a great atmosphere and play to a good tempo I can't see why we can't win. Away to Slovenia - well I was very disappointed in them at Hampden so I'd be hopeful of us winning.

agree with all but surely Slovenia will not be as bad as at Hampden

they were just a team of giants who created nothing and were looking to grind out a nil nil, they played very narrow for some reason and wing backs rampaged, their world class keeper wasn't up to much either

they're bound to be better at home and id have been happy with a nil nil over there which think is what will happen