Goal difference is crucial - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Goal difference is crucial

hamilton wanderer

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the game against there. Scotland showed far too much respect. Especially 1st half. They were there for the taking but we played for a point. I wish we could have a wee bit more belief. 

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Recurring theme every couple of years. Save yourself the drama, we ain't qualifying for any play off. 

The simple, harsh, bitter truth of experience. :lol:

The Scottish curse. We all succumb to this cynicism eventually. I succumbed in my mid forties. I think I was an early developer. As a rule I think you have to be in your 50s (as I am now) before you stop fighting it. Maybe the extreme levels of our shiteness in recent years has brought the average age down. 

How about if all the negative gits create their own negative thread and post there? This negativity is seriously not welcome and not productive.

If people want to still believe or feel positive then great leave them to it. I am all for differing opinions but all this ultra-negativity can GTF. A simple response like cant see it happening and then trotting off to another thread would suffice.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

How about if all the negative gits create their own negative thread and post there? This negativity is seriously not welcome and not productive.

If people want to still believe or feel positive then great leave them to it. I am all for differing opinions but all this ultra-negativity can GTF. A simple response like cant see it happening and then trotting off to another thread would suffice.

I don't know how old you are CC, but trust me, there are only so many punches in the guts you can take before it just stops hurting any more. Even back in the 70s and 80s when we were "good", the Scotland team did this to you. The only difference back then was that they got a bit further before they did it to you.

Pretending that this eternal ability to snatch disappointment from the jaws of ecstasy doesn't exist, doesn't make you a better supporter than anyone else. 

I messaged TDYER63 last Sunday to get her views (she had been to the match, I hadn't) and she said she felt like a battered wife who keeps coming back for more. An excellent analogy I think.

I guarantee it will happen to you one day. 

Edited by Marky

1 hour ago, Marky said:

I don't know how old you are CC, but trust me, there are only so many punches in the guts you can take before it just stops hurting any more. Even back in the 70s and 80s when we were "good", the Scotland team did this to you. The only difference back then was that they got a bit further before they did it to you.

Pretending that this eternal ability to snatch disappointment from the jaws of ecstasy doesn't exist, doesn't make you a better supporter than anyone else. 

I messaged TDYER63 last Sunday to get her views (she had been to the match, I hadn't) and she said she felt like a battered wife who keeps coming back for more. An excellent analogy I think.

Believe you me I am old enough and have been at that stage before and deep down inside am probably still at that stage. That does not mean you have to pour out your grief and negativity on everyone else though. It certainly doesn't help and it just helps drag down the mood of others.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Believe you me I am old enough and have been at that stage before and deep down inside am probably still at that stage. That does not mean you have to pour out your grief and negativity on everyone else though. It certainly doesn't help and it just helps drag down the mood of others.

Your negativity is my realism :lol:

Here's a positive. If it wasn't for cynical auld farts like me, you happy clappers would have nothing to moan about! :P

1 minute ago, Marky said:

Your negativity is my realism :lol:

Here's a positive. If it wasn't for cynical auld farts like me, you happy clappers would have nothing to moan about! :P

Eh check my recent posts if you wish from say a couple or three months back and you'll see I'm no 'happy clapper'. All I am is a supporter who feel we should be getting right behind the team right now and create a positive atmosphere. Some of the horse crap posted on here is exactly what we don't need.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Eh check my recent posts if you wish from say a couple or three months back and you'll see I'm no 'happy clapper'. All I am is a supporter who feel we should be getting right behind the team right now and create a positive atmosphere. Some of the horse crap posted on here is exactly what we don't need.

Good for you son, but if it's all the same to you, I'll speak my mind too. :ok:

1 minute ago, Marky said:

Good for you son, but if it's all the same to you, I'll speak my mind too. :ok:

If you wish Marky but let me ask you this? How do you feel mentally right now? Fed up? Peed off? Depressed? Any of those and you are just projected those sentiments onto others in a more positive frame of mind. Do you really want that or couldn't you give a sh!t?

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Haha. 

13 hours ago, Marky said:

The simple, harsh, bitter truth of experience. :lol:

The Scottish curse. We all succumb to this cynicism eventually. I succumbed in my mid forties. I think I was an early developer. As a rule I think you have to be in your 50s (as I am now) before you stop fighting it. Maybe the extreme levels of our shiteness in recent years has brought the average age down. 

I'm 33 .  . . . 

Georgia away did it for me. 

7 hours ago, Marky said:

Also a very overused analogy. Yawn.

It pains me to say this but , we won't even beat Lithuania trust me!  Once that happens .......... campaigne over.

13 hours ago, Marky said:

Bingo! Absolutely spot on. I'm 46 ( for the record) been following Scotland through thick and thin home and away since 95 and I'm not sure what game it was or when it happened but the stuffing has been truely  knocked out of me!  Can't take any more glorious failures my body is just immune to the pain now !

Surely scrapping to qualify for tournaments is now the equivalent of our past efforts of actually getting there and struggling to get out of the group? We're never likely to win a tournament, so being a Scotland fan is all about savouring the journey while it lasts. If you're tired of that then you're tired of life.

19 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Surely scrapping to qualify for tournaments is now the equivalent of our past efforts of actually getting there and struggling to get out of the group? We're never likely to win a tournament, so being a Scotland fan is all about savouring the journey while it lasts. If you're tired of that then you're tired of life.

the journey usually lasts for about 90 or 180 mins before we start ballsing it up

20 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Greece and Denmark. :beer2:

9 minutes ago, northernscum said:

Greece and Denmark. :beer2:

You never let go of the possibility, but realistically we'll never do a Greece or Denmark.

Imagine we did tho? It'd be orgasmically glorious for months on end, then we'd end up with a chronic identity crisis!