Goal difference is crucial - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Goal difference is crucial

hamilton wanderer

20 minutes ago, RabtheBruce said:

Right now I'd take qualifying for a major tournament, never mind doing a Greece and Denmark. Even reaching a play-off would represent significant progress compared to recent campaigns.

That'd do for me too (just making a tourney and enjoying the experience) - one unforgettable party summer!

Edited by Rude Gullit

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

That'd do for me too (just making a tourney and enjoying the experience) - one unforgettable party summer!

Too right! I only mentioned Greece and Denmark as an answer to a post about us basically having no hope of ever doing anything. Qualifying for another finals would be enough for me to be going on with in the meantime!

23 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Surely scrapping to qualify for tournaments is now the equivalent of our past efforts of actually getting there and struggling to get out of the group? We're never likely to win a tournament, so being a Scotland fan is all about savouring the journey while it lasts. If you're tired of that then you're tired of life.

:lol:

On 2017-6-19 at 1:22 PM, KirkieRobRoy said:

Aye, a play-off would at least be something. I pointed out before that the last manager to get us to a play-off (and ahead after the first leg as well) was Berti. OK, the wheels then came right aff, but some respect to the wee guy for that.

Play Off wid be as good as qualifying way things have been going recently.

1 hour ago, bonny78 said:

Teams that make play offs know how to hold onto a lead for 90 seconds.  

No they don't as they would qualify automatically

1 hour ago, Doric said:

No they don't as they would qualify automatically

No cause they might not be leading. Teams that get play off tend to be not brilliant but have a bit of luck.   I.e. they get just enough points when it matters.

On 16/06/2017 at 9:08 PM, Bino's said:

he still should have gone after the Lithuanian game

that's the one that's really f**cked us and was one of the worst performance's in years

I don't think you watched that game. Totally agree that it was a terrible result. You've got to beat Lithuania at home and probably away as well if you're gonna qualify. Don't agree about the performance though, we created plenty of chances in that game. I reckon we played worse when we beat them 1-0 and 3-1 at Hampden. The only two truly terrible competitive performances of Strachan's reign were away to Georgia and Slovakia.

On 17/06/2017 at 5:39 AM, Marky said:

I don't know how old you are CC, but trust me, there are only so many punches in the guts you can take before it just stops hurting any more. Even back in the 70s and 80s when we were "good", the Scotland team did this to you. The only difference back then was that they got a bit further before they did it to you.

Pretending that this eternal ability to snatch disappointment from the jaws of ecstasy doesn't exist, doesn't make you a better supporter than anyone else. 

I messaged TDYER63 last Sunday to get her views (she had been to the match, I hadn't) and she said she felt like a battered wife who keeps coming back for more. An excellent analogy I think.

I guarantee it will happen to you one day. 

True but how good will it be when we do finally qualify again!

On 17/06/2017 at 11:23 PM, Rude Gullit said:

Surely scrapping to qualify for tournaments is now the equivalent of our past efforts of actually getting there and struggling to get out of the group?

We've never got out of a group at a finals. Scrapping to qualify for tournaments would now be seen as a major success, as it would've been had we ever got of the group when we used to qualify.

On 19/06/2017 at 1:22 PM, KirkieRobRoy said:

Aye, a play-off would at least be something. I pointed out before that the last manager to get us to a play-off (and ahead after the first leg as well) was Berti. OK, the wheels then came right aff, but some respect to the wee guy for that.

True but against Germany, Iceland, Lithuania and Faeroes teams who were all probably worse than they are now. Germany and Iceland were certainly much worse.

On 21/06/2017 at 5:28 PM, Doric said:

Play Off wid be as good as qualifying way things have been going recently.

Nah we could do without losing a 3rd play-off in-a-row thanks

Confidence plummeting further listening to St.J v the Lithuanians.

I can't see goal difference being decisive except in Slovakia's favour if we win 3 of the remaining games ...and draw with Malta :mellow:

So, we need to win all 4.   Then I believe we won't be worst 2nd placer either.

Think we'll struggle to finish above 4th, but have booked up for Slovenia just in case..............

And Bonny, we won't beat any seeded 2nd place team home+away.  

Edited by Grim Jim