The Brexit Thread - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

2 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

Surly this is going to be the longest tread in the history of the tamb even longer than the rangers in crisis one 

Five posts in and someone mentions Rangers. That's got to be some sort of record. 

Edited by aaid

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

The idea we'll get a distinct Scottish Brexit deal is pretty much pie for the sky now.

Why this wasn't the first and last thing in the SNP manifesto, we'll never know.

Events got ahead of themselves : No one expected a election...
SNP originally requested a differentiated deal for Scotland. 
The Tories veto'ed that - hence the indyref2 threat.

General election was bad result for SNP.
However next time we have an election the full horror of Brexit will be known and Tories will need to defend it.
Longer term I am still positive independence is eventually coming.

My guess is that the far right of the Tory party wont tolerate anything less than a hard brexit now.
When we leave EU with no deal there will be vote of no coincidence in parliament and another snap election within 2-3 years.

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I have noticed though, in the last few days, even Tory and Labour MP's in Scotland coming around to what the SNP have always asked for - to sit in on the negotiations.

Exactly - the SNP policy on Brexit has been correct.
However, with benefit of hindsight, they got slightly ahead of themselves with timing of IndyRef2.0 announcement.

However - we must keep independence as an option...
2 simple reasons

1) We dont know what brexit means.  Keeping Brexit on table stops Tories trading away Scottish assets.
Why should we give up biggest bargaining chip ?  Not least when Scotland is excluded from negotiations or a special deal.

2) The SNP / Greens maintain a majority at Holyrood.  SNP won most seats in Scotland.  Media are pretending we lost...
David Mundell is staging a soft coup on democracy by demanding independence is taken off the table.

Independence will always be there as an option - I suppose it always has. However, it has become a more realistic prospect in the last 5 to 10 years which coincides with the rise of the SNP. The general election result just means we should not be leaping in with both feet for another referendum - remember we need to be sure we are going to win.

As for Dave Mundell and Ruth the Mooth demanding independence is taken off the table well they should pipe right down and remember they are still in a minority in Scotland (party-wise). As long as there are as many as 1 million plus people supporting a cause it will and should always remain on the table.

26 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

Events got ahead of themselves : No one expected a election...
SNP originally requested a differentiated deal for Scotland. 
The Tories veto'ed that - hence the indyref2 threat.

General election was bad result for SNP.
However next time we have an election the full horror of Brexit will be known and Tories will need to defend it.
Longer term I am still positive independence is eventually coming.

My guess is that the far right of the Tory party wont tolerate anything less than a hard brexit now.
When we leave EU with no deal there will be vote of no coincidence in parliament and another snap election within 2-3 years.

I agree with all of that apart from your last statement.  I think there'll be another GE a lot sooner than that.

Even putting aside that I can't see the DUP deal lasting five years, the numbers look very shaky for the Tories even with the DUP on board.

Taking the Speaker and Sinn Fein out of the equation that means there are 642 seats in the parliament, so 322 required for a majority.  The Tories and DUP have 327.  That only takes three by-election defeats or defections to change the balance of power.  In the two years of the last parliament there were 11 although there were probably a larger number of resignations than normal in that.

There's a pretty good chance that there will be a by-election in South Thanet.  The sitting MP there is awaiting trial on election fraud for the 2015 election.  That in itself doesn't impact the 2017 result but if he's found guilty, he will be ineligible for public office and that will force a by-election.   The allegations there are on a completely different level to the wider Battle Bus stuff that didn't proceed. 

9 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

^ yip - the Tories have created a serious constitutional mess.
it is about to get interesting.... ;-)

best option for Scots is to sit back and calmly watch it unfold.

I think so. No real need for the Scottish Government to do anything other than that, despite what commentators might be saying. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

I think so. No real need for the Scottish Government to do anything other than that, despite what commentators might be saying. 

My main concern is that Nicola can be a wee bit impatient at times. She's not really a sitting around waiting kind of person. 

The British press are so bad at giving out basic information. I watched Newsnight and had a look at a few papers online.

Am I not the only one wondering, and if it has been released then I apologise for being a thick, lazy, arse ; but I cannot find anything about the likes of -

Are these talks every day?

Once a week?

Once a month?

When are the next ones?

Is it an open session?

46 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

The British press are so bad at giving out basic information. I watched Newsnight and had a look at a few papers online.

Am I not the only one wondering, and if it has been released then I apologise for being a thick, lazy, arse ; but I cannot find anything about the likes of -

Are these talks every day?

Once a week?

Once a month?

When are the next ones?

Is it an open session?

One week of talks every month. 

^ The EU has published a detailed brexit plan.
Any changes from this need ratified with its 27 members - so would need to be out in open.
If EU are to believed there is not much to discuss beyond size of the exit bill.
UK then decides if it wants soft brexit / custom union (and complies with the requirements) or leaves empty handed.

i.e the idea we can "negotiate" a better deal is smoke and mirrors.
However if UK government admit this then the very lie that brexit is predicated on is exposed ;-)