Home record - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Home record

spud1982

Over the last two decades our home record has been pish poor. IMO it's that terrible home record that has been the biggest factor in us not qualifying. If we had beaten Lithuania and England at Hampden we would be looking at a outside chance of winning the group, never mind looking for what unlikely combination of results might see us sneak into a play off.

I think there's more made of home games than there should be particularly if you do well in the away games. 

I thought our manager made a good point about home games not automatically meaning 3 points after he was quizzed on the upcoming Austria game. A draw was disappointing but the unexpected win in Vienna gives us the 4 points over a group rival which was the aim anyway. 

2 hours ago, irish said:

I think there's more made of home games than there should be particularly if you do well in the away games. 

I thought our manager made a good point about home games not automatically meaning 3 points after he was quizzed on the upcoming Austria game. A draw was disappointing but the unexpected win in Vienna gives us the 4 points over a group rival which was the aim anyway. 

That's very true but we only got 1 point out of 6 against England and can only get 3 maximum against Slovakia so we need an unexpected result which we can't get cause we're expected to win our remaining games 

11 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

That's very true but we only got 1 point out of 6 against England and can only get 3 maximum against Slovakia so we need an unexpected result which we can't get cause we're expected to win our remaining games 

...and you can't see us beating Slovakia 4-0 to get a better head to head. 

All doom and gloom scenarios. Put it like this we are 4 behind Slovakia. We have them at home and they have still Wembley which I would expect them to lose meaning beating them at home means we are 2 points better than them. No reason why we can't get 12 points. Beat Lithuania and Malta next 2 games and the group will look a lot healthier for us.Somehing has to go with Slovenia and Slovakia in the next 2 games.

Edited by Doric

7 minutes ago, Doric said:

All doom and gloom scenarios. Put it like this we are 4 behind Slovakia. We have them at home and they have still Wembley which I would expect them to lose meaning beating them at home means we are 2 points better than them. No reason why we can't get 12 points. Beat Lithuania and Malta next 2 games and the group will look a lot healthier for us.Somehing has to go with Slovenia and Slovakia in the next 2 games.

Fair play to you for your optimism but Scotland have not shown me much recently that shows we can win our games left.

11 hours ago, Bino's said:

have we ever won 4 competitive games in a row?

2007 Faroes, Lithuania, France, Ukraine (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team_2000–19_results)

So we'd have to emulate what was probably our best form in 20 years. A huge ask but not preposterous.

Don't think we'll do it but am well up for giving it a go.

Edited by Rude Gullit

2 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

2007 Faroes, Lithuania, France, Ukraine (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team_2000–19_results)

So we'd have to emulate what was probably our best form in 20 years. A huge ask but not preposterous.

Don't think we'll do it but am well up for giving it a go.

so we have

didn't end well all the same

to be precise we backed those wins up with a defeat against a team who were already out, were giving a debut to a 17 year old keeper, another debut to an outfield 17 year old, and had another outfield player who was without a club

still, miracles do happen and we're mathematically still in it

21 hours ago, Ormond said:

Fair play to you for your optimism but Scotland have not shown me much recently that shows we can win our games left.

Lithuania is the Georgia type game. If we get through that with 3 points I think its game on. Malta after that and lets look at the table then. I am sure we will have more optimistic posts on here if we get the 6 pts. Lets hope we get through the Lithuania banana skin. 

Edited by Doric

On 24/06/2017 at 0:51 PM, bonny78 said:

Can ppl just give up already 

No. 

If you want to give up, feel free. 

As for me, I'll support the team until the end of the campaign and beyond and I don't need your permission to do so.

If you're not interested in supporting the team, also feel free to leave the TAMB and take your negative drivel with you. 

You won't be missed. 

Edited by Texas Pete

33 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

No. 

If you want to give up, feel free. 

As for me, I'll support the team until the end of the campaign and beyond and I don't need your permission to do so.

If you're not interested in supporting the team, also feel free to leave the TAMB and take your negative drivel with you. 

You won't be missed. 

?

• 2 weeks later...
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 9:17 PM, spud1982 said:

Was just looking back at our home results (any in Scotland) and since 2013 we have only lost 2. And that was Germany and England. Far too many draws but pretty impressive 

We never lost a home qualifier between 1987 and 1999. That's the kind of form we need to get back to.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the data: we've played 70 home games since the turn of the century - 32 wins, 18 draws and 20 losses. In competitive games, we've played 41; won 21; drawn 12; lost 8.

The only sides to have beaten us at home competitively in the last seventeen years are Germany (2015), Belgium, Wales (both 2013), Spain (2010), Netherlands (2009), Italy (2007), Belarus (2005) and Norway (2004), with Wales and the latter two being the only 'shocks' in there.

Our home friendly record has been very poor - especially at Hampden - although we've only lost a single home friendly since 2010.