Le Tour 2017 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Le Tour 2017

Parklife

Surprised there isn't a thread on this already, maybe a reflection on the lack of board traffic now. :( 

The tour starts tomorrow with a very short TT. It's not as long as he'd like but i'm sure Froome will be looking to get a bit of a lead from Porte, Contador, Quintana, Bardet, etc which will enable him to get in yellow early and stay there. 

I do like the proposed set up of the tour this year, with more short, steep climbs and less chance for the big teams to wind it up for their man for hours on end. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, biffer said:

Nasty one for Valverde, crash on the time trial and it looks like his race might be over already.

Looking like valverde's tour is over, cracking win today by Thomas, and a great start for Froome

Fabio Aru putting his great form down to a nose operation :lol: Aye, no bother, Fabio. 

Struggling to watch this shit show nowadays. Bike racing could be such a wonderful sport.

10 hours ago, they've_been_suckered said:

Sky are looking awesome, Froome is surely going to do it again. 

Sorry to see Sagan and Cavendish both out. Bora just have Rajka now who won't be as effective sadly. 

Ditto. I enjoy watching the Tour but in recent years some of the many highlights have been seeing Cavendish but also some of the other great sprinters like Sagan & Co.

7 minutes ago, Boynze said:

former tour cyclist Robert miller now philippa York.

ex doper I think and Scottish?

I have heard his book about the tour is interesting (written before Armstrong was exposed).

Just reading this story in the paper. Robert Millar's wiki page has already been updated to Philippa York....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippa_York

Unusual route for the tour this year but a few interesting places its going to, like jura. 

I've long enjoyed cycling and have been to the tour a couple of times but I'm a bit meh with all sports now. A day on the mountain, whether in the alps or the pyrennes is amazing. I was on L'Alpe D'Huez in 97 and pushed Eric Zabel up the hill, even made it onto Channel 4 and got vox-popped by Gary Imlach.

I'm not overly concerned about the doping and believe every cyclist medalist and major comp winner is on it. I'm always still in awe at the performance these guys do.

On 7/7/2017 at 2:21 PM, Toepoke said:

Just reading this story in the paper. Robert Millar's wiki page has already been updated to Philippa York....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippa_York

I lived in France and Spain in the 80s and Millar was very well-known among sports fans in both countries then. I always thought he deserved more recognition in Scotland maybe he would have got it if he`d won a Tour or Vuelta (was desperately unlucky not to at a time when Vuelta was more prestigious than now-it lost prestige when moved from spring to autumn I think). He wasn`t quite an Andy Murray but equivalent would have been a Scottish tennis player pre Murray getting to 3 or 4 Grand Slam finals. I remember gutter press harrassing him/her  about 10 years ago so glad that she  seems to have found a place in life.  I`m no great cycling fan but Robert Millar and Graeme Obree are certainly two people who deserve a lot more recognition in Scotland than they have received. 

2 hours ago, ironbrew said:

I lived in France and Spain in the 80s and Millar was very well-known among sports fans in both countries then. I always thought he deserved more recognition in Scotland maybe he would have got it if he`d won a Tour or Vuelta (was desperately unlucky not to at a time when Vuelta was more prestigious than now-it lost prestige when moved from spring to autumn I think). He wasn`t quite an Andy Murray but equivalent would have been a Scottish tennis player pre Murray getting to 3 or 4 Grand Slam finals. I remember gutter press harrassing him/her  about 10 years ago so glad that she  seems to have found a place in life.  I`m no great cycling fan but Robert Millar and Graeme Obree are certainly two people who deserve a lot more recognition in Scotland than they have received. 

Aye I guess cycling had a pretty low / niche profile in the UK then. No doubt Millar would've been seen as a superstar  if 20 years younger.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Wow what a stage that was today. Yesterday was awesome as well but today was brutal. Very much enjoying it.

Brutal indeed. Porte's crash was one of the worst I can recall. Broken pelvis and collarbone for him, which actually sounds lucky given how bad it looked. 

Felt Bardet should've attacked from the very start of the descent. Left it too late to get a big enough lead to hold on. 

Aru was a dick for attacking as soon as Froome had a mechanical, the rest of the peleton held him up, then Froome came back and gave him the dig.

I was lucky enough to have time to watch the whole stage today.

Edited by phart

Just now, phart said:

Aru was a dick for attacking as soon as Froome had a mechanical, the rest of the peleton held him up, then Froome came back and gave him the dig.

Aru broke zero rules. Sagan got thrown out the race for doing what froome did ;) 

Did Aru end up retiring from the race in a broken heap as a result of what Froome did? (Sorry Chris Boardman but the consequences do matter when considering the crime ya dick.)

Italian riders seem especially ruthless. Although it is is a funny business... other times at crucial points there is no waiting when someone has a mechanical. These old etiquette rules will surely fade away soon and it will be full on ruthless no matter what. 

I also would like the last stage to be competitive, One of the greatest finishes ever when it was. The tactics today suggest things may have moved on a bit. Hope so, very entertaining so far.

57 minutes ago, phart said:

Neither did Froome.

Pushing another cyclist in to spectators isn't against the rules? I'm confused why Sagan was thrown out then. 

7 hours ago, Parklife said:

Pushing another cyclist in to spectators isn't against the rules? I'm confused why Sagan was thrown out then. 

The incidents aren't the same. Trying to twin them as such isn't an argument it's a delusion.

You can't use what happened to Sagan as the instances aren't the same.

Now without recourse to a separate different incident, explain where Froome broke the rules.