Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotty CTA

Bands That You Have Seen Booed Off Stage

45 posts in this topic

Only one for me... 38 years ago today... unbelievably it was...

9k=120327-johnny-ramone-4.png

“On July 2, 1979, we played on a bill with AerosmithTed NugentJohnny Winter, and Nazareth to a crowd of forty-six thousand people in Toronto…I saw the other bands we were playing with and I thought, “This isn’t gonna work.” I complained to Premier, our booking agency, about it, and they said, ‘We’ve been in the business a long time, we know what we’re doing’… Johnny Ramone

Canadian-World-Music-Festival-Ramones-19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ted Nugent is a cvnt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Setting up mismatched bands was quite common in the 1970s. This was regularly the case for Springsteen in the early years when promoters had no idea who he was, only that he had released a couple of acoustic and semi-acoustic albums. As such they often paired him with MOR bands.

He did a tour with Chicago in 1973 where he was booed off stage pretty much every night. 

Sometimes it worked the other way around. He was big in New York City in 1974, but was put second on the bill behind Anne Murray (who'd just had a number one hit). Springsteen's manager Mike Appel, a pretty aggressive guy, called Murray's manager and asked him to put Springsteen top of the bill. They refused. Bruce came out to a crowd that was 90% Springsteen fans and did his usual set. A couple of songs into Springsteen's set and Murray's manager was going ballistic, aware what was happening. When it was announced that Murray would be next on the Springsteen fans started a Brooooce chant. Murray thought they were booing her (some probably were) and apparently she burst into tears backstage.

Years later Springsteen brought Terence Trent Darby (remember him) onstage and some started to boo him. Springsteen went ballistic, calling the crowd 'rude b@st@rds'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ormond said:

Ted Nugent is a cvnt.

So was Johnny Ramone though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stapes said:

Setting up mismatched bands was quite common in the 1970s. This was regularly the case for Springsteen in the early years when promoters had no idea who he was, only that he had released a couple of acoustic and semi-acoustic albums. As such they often paired him with MOR bands.

 

Certainly was.

I remember seeing Deep Purple supported by Quintessence (who played Indian raga rock).

Even worse was Genesis supporting Johnny Winter. :lol:  After 5-10min of Peter Gabriel dressed as a flower singing about toys in the attic you couldn't move in the bar.

I also remember reading that Hendrix supported the Monkees once & the Who supported Hermans Hermits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At The Apollo pretty much every support band got booed off the stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silverbear said:

 

I also remember reading that Hendrix supported the Monkees once & the Who supported Hermans Hermits.

Roger Daltrey spoke about that Who tour with Brian Johnson on his excellent Sky Arts show...... basically they were young and eager to hit the States, and Hermans Hermits had scored a number of top 10 hits..... and when they went out there they felt so out of place on that tour, but were convinced it would be a good pay day, only to be handed a bill at the end of the tour for what they owed as a result of the damage to hotels they did while on the tour (once their fee had been deduced).

Hendrix broke through in the UK before he made it in the States, so like bands like Blonde and Kings of Leon, he also made in in the UK and Europe before hitting it big in his own country, so could very well have tour with the Monkees (Neil Young was apparently a big Monkees fan and wrote songs and played guitar on a number of their later albums)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Roger Daltrey spoke about that Who tour with Brian Johnson on his excellent Sky Arts show...... basically they were young and eager to hit the States, and Hermans Hermits had scored a number of top 10 hits..... and when they went out there they felt so out of place on that tour, but were convinced it would be a good pay day, only to be handed a bill at the end of the tour for what they owed as a result of the damage to hotels they did while on the tour (once their fee had been deduced).

When Springsteen inducted The Who into Musicare he told the story of going to one of these shows - opener was Blues Magoos, then The Who, then Herman's Hermits. 'No justice' was how he put it.

https://brucebase.wikispaces.com/2015-05-28+-+BEST+BUY+THEATER%2C+NEW+YORK+CITY%2C+NY+(MusiCares+MAP+Fund+Concert)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Sheena Easton at The Big Day count ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RUSH had a terrible time opening for Sha Na Na in Baltimore in 1974...

"It was just before the show and we came out to sort of peak around to look at the audience before the doors opened and they came in. And we saw that the girls were dressed in little white socks and long skirts and all the guys had greaser hairdos. It turned out to be one of these '50s sock hop things. We went on and were wearing satin pants and big high boots. And we started with 'Finding My Way' from the first record. They just sort of stood there and stared at us. Then by the second song they started to rumble. By the fourth song it was 'BOOOOO.' Get out of here! Get off!' So of course we turned everything up a little bit and continued to play. Then finally the promoter said, 'Thanks guys. You're done.' But they were nasty. They were really pissed off. I'm sure if we would have kept going they would have thrown their greasy combs at us." - Alex Lifeson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

At The Apollo pretty much every support band got booed off the stage.

Aye, I was a regular in 70s and I cannot actually remember a single support band at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Radiohead in a tent at Glasgow Green '99 or 2000.  Crowd were cracking up as they were playing all the Kid A noise instead of "The Bends" and "Paranoid Android". Utterly shit and disappointing gig.  Can't believe they are still going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a kid, Sweet was pretty much my favourite band so I went to see them one time in the mid-80s when Brian Connolly & I think Steve Priest were still together. Connolly turned up late, could hardly stand up, did 2 songs, got booed off, told the crowd to f**k off & staggered off while the audience threw anything they could get their hands on at him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

When I was a kid, Sweet was pretty much my favourite band so I went to see them one time in the mid-80s when Brian Connolly & I think Steve Priest were still together. Connolly turned up late, could hardly stand up, did 2 songs, got booed off, told the crowd to f**k off & staggered off while the audience threw anything they could get their hands on at him.

 

Bit of trivia. Ballroom Blitz was written following a gig at the Grand Hall in Kilmarnock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alan said:

Radiohead in a tent at Glasgow Green '99 or 2000.  Crowd were cracking up as they were playing all the Kid A noise instead of "The Bends" and "Paranoid Android". Utterly shit and disappointing gig.  Can't believe they are still going.

I was there and it was a strange gig. Big song - new weird song - big song - weird song - etc.

Made for a poor atmosphere although I don't remember them being booed off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, aaid said:

Bit of trivia. Ballroom Blitz was written following a gig at the Grand Hall in Kilmarnock. 

I never knew that - from there to advertising gas & electric meters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Wiki... "The Ballroom Blitz" was inspired by an incident on 27 January 1973 when the band was performing at the Grand Hall in KilmarnockScotland and were driven offstage by a barrage of bottles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I was there and it was a strange gig. Big song - new weird song - big song - weird song - etc.

Made for a poor atmosphere although I don't remember them being booed off.

No booing but the most pissed off crowd I have been in.  I wanted to start booing but a section of the crowd would have clapped thinking it was a new sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not Booed off stage as such, but in 2010 took the Mrs to see Pink at Hampden for her Birthday, and this was during the 2010 World Cup, and was the day after England v Germany..... half way through the concert she made a comment "terrible how you guys were cheated out of the world cup last night", which she got hounded for by the whole stadium and you could see the look of total fear in her face on the screen as she could not put together what she had said wrong :lol: and actually took about 5 long minutes for the whole incident to cool down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Big Col said:

Does Sheena Easton at The Big Day count ?

Haha! I was there that day as well, I ended up feeling a bit sorry for her. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

From Wiki... "The Ballroom Blitz" was inspired by an incident on 27 January 1973 when the band was performing at the Grand Hall in KilmarnockScotland and were driven offstage by a barrage of bottles.

Wasn't the lead singer of Sweet the brother of Mark McManus ( Taggart ) or did I just imagine that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, aaid said:

Bit of trivia. Ballroom Blitz was written following a gig at the Grand Hall in Kilmarnock. 

Saw Johnie Marr at Grand Hall last year and he played it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/07/2017 at 11:10 AM, Larky Masher said:

At The Apollo pretty much every support band got booed off the stage.

I remember chants for the main act would start during the support.   Would build up to a frenzy in the interval.

Didn't happen to Donovan supporting Yes though, whatever that says.

Only booing I've ever seen was for Hot Leg before Alter Bridge not so long ago.   I think Justin Hawkins' pop credentials did for him, as they played ok.   My mate was ragin' as he'd had a pint earlier with them and said they were fine lads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Wasn't the lead singer of Sweet the brother of Mark McManus ( Taggart ) or did I just imagine that. 

You didn't imagine it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Not Booed off stage as such, but in 2010 took the Mrs to see Pink at Hampden for her Birthday, and this was during the 2010 World Cup, and was the day after England v Germany..... half way through the concert she made a comment "terrible how you guys were cheated out of the world cup last night", which she got hounded for by the whole stadium and you could see the look of total fear in her face on the screen as she could not put together what she had said wrong :lol: and actually took about 5 long minutes for the whole incident to cool down.

Took me 5 minutes to realise it was Pink and not your 'Mrs'. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0