Traditional boozers in Glasgow - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Traditional boozers in Glasgow

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Mitre said:

Is The Nile on West Nile Street still going?

I had my first pint in there after plugging the Careers Exhibition at the SECC and heading into town.

It has been defunct for some time - might be a coffee place now. Billy Peterkin owned it I think.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You're at it!!

4 hours ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

The Courtyard on West Nile St.

I used to frequent The Courtyard when Sunday Circus was held there for all the techno and house enthusiasts who hadn't been to their scratcher since Pressure on the Friday. Couldn't believe when I moved back up that it had turned into an absolute dive filled with cretins of the highest order.

Just now, Mox said:

I used to frequent The Courtyard when Sunday Circus was held there for all the techno and house enthusiasts who hadn't been to their scratcher since Pressure on the Friday. Couldn't believe when I moved back up that it had turned into an absolute dive filled with cretins of the highest order.

Sunday Circus was class in there. Some the early ones are the highlights of my uni years! 

Remember when we had frequent Saturday 5pm games?

The Courtyard was part of our routine.   A pint or two and soup and a sandwich.   The red haired chef made an amazin' wee lunch for us.   I wonder where he went, and what he could knock up other than soup and sandwiches, but bet they were gooooood cook.gif 

23 hours ago, jenblueeyes said:

The Shilling Brewing Company - not a traditional pub as such but a short walk from Central and good for someone into their beer.

It's a nice setup in there but their own branded beer is poor.  Then I read the brewer came from The Clockwork which has poor beer IMHO.  The guest taps are good though and pizzas decent.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

It's a nice setup in there but their own branded beer is poor.  Then I read the brewer came from The Clockwork which has poor beer IMHO.  The guest taps are good though and pizzas decent.

Thanks for the feedback. Haven't tried it yet - hoping to get there on Saturday. I haven't drunk in The Clockwork either but I don't like hoppy beer...didn't like any of the stuff brewed in the Drygate so this might be more my taste. Needless to say, I'll have to try all their branded beers just to be sure.....

Edited by jenblueeyes
Forgot that I also don't like most of the stuff Brewdog do - Trashy Blonde is the only one I can stomach.

On 7/3/2017 at 8:30 PM, Maq said:

Can anyone recommend some good traditional boozers in the centre of Glasgow, preferably within 10mins of Central Station?

My faither in law is coming to visit next week, and I was going to take him on a wee pub crawl after I pick him up from the station

Within 7 mins by train from Central to Charing Cross you will reach the Bon Accord in North Street.

Renowned as one of the best whisky bars in Glasgow and has a great selection of beers, also has live music nights on Saturdays. https://www.bonaccordpub.com/content/about/

A nod to The Clutha as already recommended if you'd prefer to walk stopping off on the way.  A great pub always full of Glasgow characters and popular with a good mix of ages. Does a good turn promoting amateur musicians.  Special mention has to go to the tree as a central feature in the bar area.  

2867199949.jpg 

30 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Jen, you remind me from somebody from work on our Paisley Beer Festival pilgrimage.    Asked for Tennants :o

Luckily he found the cider stall...

Fortunately I'm a step up from a Tennants drinker but just a fussy beer drinker. Don't like anything hoppy - the whole craft beer scene just leaves me cold. Like the beer that WEST brew and love Belgian beers, etc.

Maq, Jen mentioned West which could be a bit too much of a trek, but plenty city centre boozers sell their St Mungo or other draughts, and well worth a taste if you're not familiar with Glasgow's own German microbrew.

Likewise Hyndland is off topic, but for Jen (keep off the American ones... )...

http://www.cottiers.com/uploaded/2011/03/Cottiers-Beer-List-Updated.pdf   Those are just for softies though.   Can't see any Malheur Douze.

Been meaning to check them out for a while.   Think somebody mentioned the place on here.  

The Clutha isn't really traditional now when it got refurbished.  Big bright space for live music.  Victoria Bar is more traditional and next to it.  It is also the opposite direction to Bon Accord!

1 hour ago, Alan said:

The Clutha isn't really traditional now when it got refurbished.  Big bright space for live music.  Victoria Bar is more traditional and next to it.  It is also the opposite direction to Bon Accord!

Would agree, its more a glorified beer garden now..... great to grab a table outside for a beer and watch the world go by, while the Victoria bar is more traditional in the sense.

As said above, if you are going to head out that far, you would be as well walking the extra 10 or so minutes it would take to get across Glasgow Green to go to the West brewery.

Just now, Charlie Endell said:

It looks like R. Dhu is ready to recommence trading.

Bon Accord probably has the best real ale selection in Glasgow but it's the wrong side of the M8 to qualify as 'city centre'.

There's something about the R.Dhu I've never been able to take to.  Can't put my finger on it but it's not a pub I enjoy spending any time in.  It's strange as it's almost identical to Deoch & Dorus in Partick (same owners I believe) and I don't mind popping there for a pint on occasion.

39 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

There's something about the R.Dhu I've never been able to take to.  Can't put my finger on it but it's not a pub I enjoy spending any time in.  It's strange as it's almost identical to Deoch & Dorus in Partick (same owners I believe) and I don't mind popping there for a pint on occasion.

I totally agree with you on R. Dhu - it's pretty sterile and service can be poor - the karzis swimming with single fish don't help either!

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Its the big "no football colours" sign they have on the front door (which I can appreciate why they do) which always gets me, as plenty of pubs in Glasgow take this stance, but they somewhat stick it right in your face and comes across as trying to be a better pub than it really is (its a ok pub, but not high on my list of favorites)

1 hour ago, Charlie Endell said:

It looks like R. Dhu is ready to recommence trading.

Bon Accord probably has the best real ale selection in Glasgow but it's the wrong side of the M8 to qualify as 'city centre'.

MacGregors Pie and Ale Howff probably the best real ale pub within the city center, but heard it is closing down.