Traditional boozers in Glasgow - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Traditional boozers in Glasgow

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

Think he is getting mixed up with the Auctioneers, which actually used to be a good pub years ago but felt it has went majorly down hill.... or maybe that is just me reminiscing of when they had the video jukebox and folk would stick Dirrty by Christina Aguilera on all night :lol: 

No I know the difference between the two. I've stayed here for years. 

Not overly a fan of auctineers. Used to be an ICF hangout.  

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

Can be a bit of a double edged sword at times..... if I want to go to a bar that plays music, I just head for Solid Rock Cafe, as its good drinks and plays my type of music (though the jukebox in the Alpine Lodge next door as some good (and bad!!!!) selections on it, but think you get something like 10 songs for £2)

It's been a while since I've been in, but the jukebox upstairs in The Scotia is sensational. Me and my mates used to get Guinness for £2.50 and have free run of the jukebox all night long. The clientele in there have to be seen to be believed, a real rogues gallery of the weird and wonderful.

Was out for a fag once and got speaking to a guy who was about my age and who started talking to me and said he stayed in Parkhead and had been chased out there and been told to leave Glasgow within 24 hours. In his wisdom he was popping out for a couple of jars before lying low for a couple of months, I couldn't wait to get back inside to the comfort of my pint.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

No I know the difference between the two. I've stayed here for years. 

Not overly a fan of auctineers. Used to be an ICF hangout.  

I think it still is a Rangers shop to a certain extent. I've certainly seen vast numbers piling out of there when they've been away from home in an early kick off.

12 hours ago, Mox said:

I think it still is a Rangers shop to a certain extent. I've certainly seen vast numbers piling out of there when they've been away from home in an early kick off.

It's also rammed pre/post home games.  Think that's in part due to the proximity to the Underground.

22 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

That could indeed be a problem if SQ and his pals spent 10 quid on Paper Roses .

That reminds me of a tale in the Herald Diary when Tom Shields was doing it.  Apparently some Rangers fan went to put Simply the Best on ten times in a row on a pub jukebox and got the numbers wrong and ended up having to sit through half an hour of Nutbush City Limits. 

20 minutes ago, aaid said:

That reminds me of a tale in the Herald Diary when Tom Shields was doing it.  Apparently some Rangers fan went to put Simply the Best on ten times in a row on a pub jukebox and got the numbers wrong and ended up having to sit through half an hour of Nutbush City Limits. 

:-))

Would be like living in this sketch...

Saw title "Traditional Glasgow pubs" and for some reason remembered a pub which used to be up from Queens Street Station near bus station called Matthew something (Reid`?) which I presume no longer exists. I  went into it in only once and it was probably in early 80s . I was having a pint before catching a train and remember a couple walking in and the barman saying  without really apologising "No women , they can get in down the road at the ----". The male member of the couple didn`t seem too put out so maybe it wasn`t that unusual at the time though it was the first time I`d seen it apart from odd place with a snug for women. 

A certain Charles Kennedy, as president of the GU students' union dragged the place into the modern age by campaigning to allow ladies into the GUU.   In debate, I'm sure young Charles used coherent persuasive argument, but I only remember his opposite number shouting, "Yer all just a bunch of cli**y lickers!"

Back to trad pubs, I'm sure I've been in some that had no ladies toilet (not sure why I was looking for one), such as Skelton's at Hamilton's bottom cross.   I'm not as old as you think though.   I was probably under age :o

11 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

A certain Charles Kennedy, as president of the GU students' union dragged the place into the modern age by campaigning to allow ladies into the GUU.   In debate, I'm sure young Charles used coherent persuasive argument, but I only remember his opposite number shouting, "Yer all just a bunch of cli**y lickers!"

Back to trad pubs, I'm sure I've been in some that had no ladies toilet (not sure why I was looking for one), such as Skelton's at Hamilton's bottom cross.   I'm not as old as you think though.   I was probably under age :o

Some of our sheepie correspondents might be able to confirm but I'm sure the Bridge Bar in Aberdeen still doesn't have a ladies.  The Grill on Union Street famously didn't have one either but had them added in the late nineties or so. 

Georgic in Shawlands didn't have a ladies - think it was eventually added when they knocked through to the pub next door (Maxwell's?).

I was in the Three Judges yesterday for the first time in years - great shop with eight or nine real ales up on the board (although some of the pumps had the label facing the bar staff). 

13 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

I am partial to a pint in Heraghtys on Pollokshaws Road and apparently they didn't have a Womans toilet for some time.

2 hours ago, Charlie Endell said:

Georgic in Shawlands didn't have a ladies - think it was eventually added when they knocked through to the pub next door (Maxwell's?).

I was in the Three Judges yesterday for the first time in years - great shop with eight or nine real ales up on the board (although some of the pumps had the label facing the bar staff). 

I've never been in the Georgic, but anytime I go past it, no matter what day it is or what time, it is heaving.

21 hours ago, Charlie Endell said:

This is a bit concerning. When did the Georgic add the ladies?  I used to go there 10-12 years ago after home games and I cannot remember there being no loo. Though my memory, and my bladder for that matter , are not what they were 10 years ago . Where did I go?

On 04/07/2017 at 10:13 AM, Charlie Endell said:

That was when it was under dodgy ownership... Fortunately it's now back in good hands - Frank, son of Brian Murphy, who used to run the Arlington on Woodlands Road.

I didn't even recognise Iain Ferguson as he had bulked up - he mentioned he was an ex pro and when I asked him which clubs he had played for I wasn't expecting him to say Hearts, Rangers and both Dundee clubs (I was thinking more along the lines of Albion Rovers!).

Arlington is a cracking wee bar, cheap as fook too. Nowhere near central though.

On 04/07/2017 at 10:25 PM, Heuch Moray said:

Within 7 mins by train from Central to Charing Cross you will reach the Bon Accord in North Street.

Renowned as one of the best whisky bars in Glasgow and has a great selection of beers, also has live music nights on Saturdays. https://www.bonaccordpub.com/content/about/

A nod to The Clutha as already recommended if you'd prefer to walk stopping off on the way.  A great pub always full of Glasgow characters and popular with a good mix of ages. Does a good turn promoting amateur musicians.  Special mention has to go to the tree as a central feature in the bar area.  

2867199949.jpg 

The owner of the Bon Accord is a complete willy

I'm not a fan of his son. Way, way back (before the place was extended and the bar was just to the left as you entered) his son (who would have been very young then - 18 / 19) slagged off my choice of beer to another customer while serving me (he was actually right about the ale though!).

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

This is a bit concerning. When did the Georgic add the ladies?  I used to go there 10-12 years ago after home games and I cannot remember there being no loo. Though my memory, and my bladder for that matter , are not what they were 10 years ago . Where did I go?

It definitely had one 10-12 years ago - I'd guess late 90s (early 00s at a stretch) was when the ladies was added.

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

It definitely had one 10-12 years ago - I'd guess late 90s (early 00s at a stretch) was when the ladies was added.

35 minutes ago, Charlie Endell said:

I'm not a fan of his son. Way, way back (before the place was extended and the bar was just to the left as you entered) his son (who would have been very young then - 18 / 19) slagged off my choice of beer to another customer while serving me (he was actually right about the ale though!).

Nae need for that shit at all.
We were delivering booze and he changed from kinda jokey with us to aboslutley raging, face bright red within seconds, just because we had went to the back door instead of front. Absolute walloper