Switzerland - currency, ideas - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Switzerland - currency, ideas

ironbrew

Spending 4 or 5 days in Switzerland between time in Italy and France later this summer. Presume it`s easy to change Euros everywhere? I spent a day in Zurich about 5 years ago and just used Euros but know it was more expensive than Francs . Will have a full day in Lugano and Lucerne and an evening and morning in Montreux. Any ideas for things to do?

26 minutes ago, joecraigfanclub said:

My only suggestion is take loads of money. Was at a wedding on Lake geneva last year and it was very very expensive

Agree on that, only place that makes Oslo prices as a whole look reasonable.

I liked my time in Switzerland (2 nights in Zurich and then train to Milan), but it was just the shock that even when we went for a McDonalds it cost the same as going for a meal in a mid range Glasgow restaurant :o

• 1 month later...

Beautiful country but expensive though that was no surprise. Surprisingly few places to change money in cities and I  couldn`t use cards as I`d had them stolen with wallet before I got to Switzerland. Some places say they`ll accept Euros then don`t seem too keen when you actually want to do so. Talking of currency,  the only place where I  changed (wife`s card saved me) was at Lugano station and they had different rates for Scottish and English pounds on list of foreign currencies. Not sure of how common that is.

While in Switzerland I went on 2 of their famous rail routes (William Tell which includes boat trip  and Golden Pass). I enjoyed both trips but saw nothing to compare with routes to Inverness, Oban, Fort William etc. I read that they were thinking of fitting observation carriages in some Scottish trains and it would certainly be a good idea along with a lot more promotion. Most of my fellow passengers seemed to be Indian or Arab rail enthusiasts who might be delighted to spend a lot of money in Scotland too if encouraged to do so.