Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:40 PM, EddardStark said:

What is your impression of this guy? I don't think he gets anywhere near the credit he deserves. Multi talented musician and from Scotland as well.

Great musician but I always found Jethro Tull a bit weird.  I've got the Bursting Out album on CD and the BBC concert they done at that time on DVD and they're amazing.  However, I  bought the Heavy Horses album just after first seeing that show (back in 79 I think) thinking it'd be along the same lines and I must've binned it after one spin.  Really poor - acoustic, folky nonsense and not at all like the live stuff.

Still, Bursting Out is up there with the greatest live albums ever.  Not Strangers in the Night quality but then nothing could touch that.  :)

Been going to see the band since 1970's. 'Aqualung' & 'Stand up' are two of their best albums but the live 'Bursting Out' album is excellent. I saw that tour in Glasgow (although not recorded there) and the album really captures the feel of that night. Always a great band live although personnel have changed greatly over the years but in truth the band was really Ian Anderson & other musicians anyway. Still seen the band 'off and on' over last few years and in truth it all looked and sounded a bit jaded. Last saw him in 2015 at Ramblin Man Fayre in Maidstone and although still pretty reasonable I did feel Ian Anderson's antics on stage have had their 'sell by date'.

As for the Heavy Horses album although more 'folky' it is still a very good album :headbang: