Combating comfort eating? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Combating comfort eating?

13 hours ago, thplinth said:

Yet cut out the carbs and you can eat as much as you want and you will drop 1-2 kilos per week no matter. Miss the odd meal on top and it wall fall off you.

Well, that's obviously not true. 

The only way to lose weight is through calorie deficit. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, flumax said:

Try the my fitness pal app. 

That's what I used back in 2013 when I was diagnosed diabetic and went from 136kg to 87kg in just under 18 months.

I've tried it again to try and get back to grips with things, but with the way I've been struggling mentally, it has not succeeded.

24 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

That's what I used back in 2013 when I was diagnosed diabetic and went from 136kg to 87kg in just under 18 months.

I've tried it again to try and get back to grips with things, but with the way I've been struggling mentally, it has not succeeded.

I don't know what you're going through mentally, Cove as i have never suffered in that way. 

It's good that you're back running though and are feeling more able to do that. I know that, despite it being hard work, i always get a feeling of elation after a good cardio workout. Hopefully you can stick to the running and it makes you feel in a better place, even in the short term. I'd encourage you to do this as much as you feel able to. It'll combine both the physical/weight loss benefits and also the feeling of accomplishment and elation. 

In terms of food, id agree that having healthier, low calorie snacks at home is a good idea. Try and eat plenty protein as it is good for satiety and will make you feel fuller for longer. 

Best of luck with it. :ok: 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Of course they are. I'm with thplinth that a reduced-carb diet (in comparison to what most folk currently have) would do most people the world of good. However, weight loss is as simple as having your nett calorie intake negative.

Have you tried Mindfulness?

Two Years ago I had some mental health problems and the Health and Wellbeing team at work recommended the following book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-practical-guide-finding-frantic/dp/074995308X

I got the Kindle version which guides you through some of the exercises.

When I get stressed, I do one of the ten minute exercises and it helps immensely. It calms me down and then I can deal with some of the more difficult issues.

29 minutes ago, BigBearScot said:

Have you tried Mindfulness?

Two Years ago I had some mental health problems and the Health and Wellbeing team at work recommended the following book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-practical-guide-finding-frantic/dp/074995308X

I got the Kindle version which guides you through some of the exercises.

When I get stressed, I do one of the ten minute exercises and it helps immensely. It calms me down and then I can deal with some of the more difficult issues.

Nope. Never heard of it before. Will have a look.

31 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's good that you're back running though and are feeling more able to do that. I know that, despite it being hard work,

Never really stopped running, just on the last tweak of my medication it left me feeling so lethargic, I wasn't doing anyway near as much.

It meant that I had to pretty much wing the Stirling marathon, which wasn't big or clever.

If you are stuck at home out of work I'd consider doing some voluntary work. 

I'd also get myself into a constructive routine, morning run, job hunting, lunch, gym work out, more job hunting, etc to provide some structure as it is easy to get down when not working (and just because of that in its own right). 

Maybe also look into some sort of training. I'd be quite tempted by an apprenticeship or some sort of course that gives you a trade at the end of it. Heating engineer was one my cousin did and he has plenty work (despite being a workshy skiver) and is self employed.

You are a young guy, well liked I would say and you can pretty much do what you want if you set your mind to it. Get yourself a plan Cove.

Edited by thplinth

With the anti depressants did you speak with your GP about coming off them? Depending on how long you took them and dose coming off then slowly is recommended. 

I work in mental health so would recommend talking with a mental health expert rather than a GP when it comes to meds, and to be honest I'd try alternative therapies anyway before taking them unless majorly depressed, CBT and mindfulness are options as mentioned. 

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

With the anti depressants did you speak with your GP about coming off them? Depending on how long you took them and dose coming off then slowly is recommended. 

I work in mental health so would recommend talking with a mental health expert rather than a GP when it comes to meds, and to be honest I'd try alternative therapies anyway before taking them unless majorly depressed, CBT and mindfulness are options as mentioned. 

No, I didn't. I just came off them cold turkey.

As I've had no "down" since coming off them he's happy enough. I have ran things past a retired consultant psychiatrist I know a couple of times though.

The 3rd GP I saw, has been good (I automatically had trust with him as he diagnosed my diabetes before I'd had any symptoms). The first two were beyond useless though and would potentially cause real damage to folk.

This is the warning letter I got about my absence levels whilst signed off with depression, just before Christmas (and only in receipt of statutory sick pay)...

I feel that your absence from work is have an adverse effect on the company that we can no longer maintain given that you hold a key position within the company that we don't have alternate cover for. Already we have had to bring in temporary cover to assist in your role during your absence, but we cannot continue to do this long term.

I realise that your absence have either been self-certified or medically certified and hence you are not to "blame" as such for your poor attendance, however the company cannot continue to support this long-term.

I would like to request your permission to obtain your medical records from your doctor in relation to your absences from work in order to see if we can facilitate your recovery in any way.

As discussed we would be happy for you to have a phased return to work during the remainder of 2016, but would be looking for you to return to work full time from 3rd January 2017.

If you feel that you are unable to return back to work on a full time basis, I would ask that you consider some form of part time role within the company or we may have to consider your viability for future employment.

For any/all future absences from work, we would ask that you provide a medical certificate for absence and can no longer accept self-certification.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I'm no HR expert, but I'm pretty sure they can't do that!

:lol:

Probably done you a favour, as you clearly hated the place anyway.

Did they treat you as though you held "a key position" when you were there?

Maybe @killiefaetheferry Can enlighten us to the HR side of it.  Sounds like a disgraceful way to treat staff particularly if they hadn't offered him any other support whilst he held that 'key position'.

10 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

I checked it out.

Legally, as I didn't have two years service, I had no protection...

Even with 2 years service, people can be dismissed whilst off sick. Not because they are sick of course, but because they are 'unable to fulfil the contract of employment'. When I worked for Tesco, there would have been a request for a Doctors Report, a referral to Occupational Health, and offers of support through invitations to meetings in order to discuss support options, or sometimes I did 'home visits' if the employee was unable to come in to the workplace. But as long as all those boxes were being ticked, then a dismissal on grounds of ill health would have been on the cards. Usually around 9 months to a year after the start of the absence.

On 13/07/2017 at 11:01 AM, Cove_Sheep said:

Nope. Never heard of it before. Will have a look.

Mindfulness is brilliant ! I've always been accused of being lazy (might have some merit :huh:) or 'too laid back', but I've always been a person who could close my eyes and enjoy the sensation of having my eyes closed - great for a train or bus journey etc. Anyway, when my Mrs became a yoga teacher, we stumbled into a conversation about Mindfulness and she went ballistic at me when I explained my own version of relaxation, which turned out to be pretty much what she had been studying away for in terms of Mindfulness :lol:. She hates that apparently I am a natural yogi but she has to work at it B).

I will ask her for a steer for you about what to look at, but yes, it may well help you. The breathing and control of breath is important.

14 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Even with 2 years service, people can be dismissed whilst off sick. Not because they are sick of course, but because they are 'unable to fulfil the contract of employment'. When I worked for Tesco, there would have been a request for a Doctors Report, a referral to Occupational Health, and offers of support through invitations to meetings in order to discuss support options, or sometimes I did 'home visits' if the employee was unable to come in to the workplace. But as long as all those boxes were being ticked, then a dismissal on grounds of ill health would have been on the cards. Usually around 9 months to a year after the start of the absence.

Thanks, that's really useful information.

Was thinking maybe your eating habits and feeling down in the dumps might actually be the same problem. Have you tried taking supplements? Maybe you are suffering some sort of deficiency. Taking extra Magnesium is known to cure depression in some folk within 2 weeks. Google magnesium and depression. You'd be surprised. 

This is a really low cost no side effects option that is worth trying. I would also get hold of some ultra high dose vitamin B12 and C and a quality general multivitamin. Where you live you are probably deficient on B12 at least. Give it at least a month taking them regularly and see if you feel better. Fish oil capsules are also good. 

Try all of these before resorting to medication.

7 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Mindfulness is brilliant ! I've always been accused of being lazy (might have some merit :huh:) or 'too laid back', but I've always been a person who could close my eyes and enjoy the sensation of having my eyes closed - great for a train or bus journey etc. Anyway, when my Mrs became a yoga teacher, we stumbled into a conversation about Mindfulness and she went ballistic at me when I explained my own version of relaxation, which turned out to be pretty much what she had been studying away for in terms of Mindfulness :lol:. She hates that apparently I am a natural yogi but she has to work at it B).

I will ask her for a steer for you about what to look at, but yes, it may well help you. The breathing and control of breath is important.

I think I know what you mean by that... but what do you mean by that? 

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

Was thinking maybe your eating habits and feeling down in the dumps might actually be the same problem. Have you tried taking supplements? Maybe you are suffering some sort of deficiency. Taking extra Magnesium is known to cure depression in some folk within 2 weeks. Google magnesium and depression. You'd be surprised. 

This is a really low cost no side effects option that is worth trying. I would also get hold of some ultra high dose vitamin B12 and C and a quality general multivitamin. Where you live you are probably deficient on B12 at least. Give it at least a month taking them regularly and see if you feel better. Fish oil capsules are also good. 

Try all of these before resorting to medication.

Something like this?

8 hours ago, thplinth said:

I think I know what you mean by that... but what do you mean by that? 

Just exactly that. Close your eyes, relax, enjoy the sensation or having your eyes closed, focus on your breathing and let the whole feeling just chill/zone/space etc you out. I can do that for 20 minutes when I feel tired or a bit stressed and I feel brand new. Either that or crack one off, both are good.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have nothing but respect for you. My future daughter in law is a hypnotherapist and I am certain she has had similar cases in the past. Have you tried this? It does really work for people in terms of coping strategies with a range of conditions or behavioural issues.

Edited by EddardStark