Summer Football? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Belarus, Estonia, Faroes, Finland, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Rep Ireland, Sweden.  All summer football.  Even traditionally big teams like Malmo, Gothenburg and Rosenberg are not setting the world on fire due to impact of tv money on bigger leagues.

We also need to take into account the foreign players in Scotland who do qualify for World Cups and Euros and the impact that would have.

I'm not knocking the idea but I do not see any real proof or data that it will be positive.  Reminds me of the demands for pyramid setup which has done little to improve the game.  Too many small clubs with minimal finance and support.

I do enjoy nice weather at start and end of the season that is a big bonus.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are selling outdoor (often exposed) seats to a sporting event and you have the choice of selling them in Jan & Feb versus Jul & Aug.... hmmmm let me think about this one... so tricky... what to do what to do...

Are you fhucking mental. Of course it is a good idea.

Also you don't have to end in December or change the current season so much (although I quite like this radical idea). You could add 4 teams to the SPL play 30 games a season and simply take a 2 months winter break starting after the New Year. That way you maintain the same traditional feel to the season but it would mean getting rid of the split pish. The split is actually the worse than playing winter football. I'd rather kill the split, have a 2 month winter break than keep the split and play summer football ending with the season ending in late Dec/ early Jan. But why not do both just to be super mental. 

edit: most countries that take a winter break take one as they have far more severe winters. Britain is quite mild due it being an island. Wet and miserable but not brutally cold in winter. It would be a good idea for marketing reasons mostly.

Edited by thplinth

Guest allyc
11 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Not sure you've looked into this much at all if that's your view.

Ive looked into it and thats my view...

Edited by allyc

On 18/07/2017 at 5:45 PM, Alan said:

Belarus, Estonia, Faroes, Finland, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Rep Ireland, Sweden.  All summer football.

On 18/07/2017 at 6:55 PM, thplinth said:

edit: most countries that take a winter break take one as they have far more severe winters. Britain is quite mild due it being an island. Wet and miserable but not brutally cold in winter. It would be a good idea for marketing reasons mostly.

I had to check Kazakhstan's climate there. Extremes of something like -54C winter to +46C summer in some parts. Take your pick :lol:

I'd rather have more indoor facilities, more coaches, improved diet and professionalism, better technique and mindset and fans supporting their local teams to improve football finances.

40 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

You've only called it though and not actually explained how you see it. 

Neither did you though.  You said summer football was a terrible idea.  I said your idea was a terrible idea. 

May is the best weather we have for football in Scotland and you want that to be our close season.  Terrible idea!

28 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Neither did you though.  You said summer football was a terrible idea.  I said your idea was a terrible idea. 

May is the best weather we have for football in Scotland and you want that to be our close season.  Terrible idea!

I said quite a lot more than that but hey ho. 

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

I like attending the Scottish cup final in shorts. I haven't done it a lot recently, granted, but it wouldn't be the same having it in winter and I would get cold, so I agree. 

3 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I like attending the Scottish cup final in shorts. I haven't done it a lot recently, granted, but it wouldn't be the same having it in winter and I would get cold, so I agree. 

Why not flip the cup competitions? Start season in Feb/March and the Scottish cup is the 1st cup, 2nd half of the season is the League or what ever it is called now cup?? That way you have a chance of wearing shorts at the final :ok:

1 hour ago, shaggycoo said:

Why not flip the cup competitions? Start season in Feb/March and the Scottish cup is the 1st cup, 2nd half of the season is the League or what ever it is called now cup?? That way you have a chance of wearing shorts at the final :ok:

Scottish cup HAS to be at the end of the season imo

11 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

I said quite a lot more than that but hey ho. 

No you didnae.  The post I replied said that summer football was a terrible idea.  I've now noticed elsewhere that you said that the reasons were well documented and that July - April was a decent compromise. 

Well, document away.  If it were up to me I'd try March to November.   Better weather, better aging surfaces, surely better football as well.  Take a break for a month mid-season in WC/Euro years, or do whatever Sweden/Norway do. 

What we do just now doesn't work, there's no way Rangers or The Rubber Johnnies should be losing to the teams they lost to. Give ourselves a chance FFS.  I mean, that game Rangers lost was like losing to East Kilbride. 

Edited by adamntg

6 minutes ago, adamntg said:

No you didnae.  The post I replied to said that summer football was a terrible idea.  I've now noticed elsewhere that you said that the reasons were well documented and that July - April was a decent compromise. 

Well, document away.  If it were up to me I'd try March to November.   Better weather, better aging surfaces, surely better football as well.  Take a break for a month mid-season in WC/Euro years, or do whatever Sweden/Norway do. 

What we do just now doesn't work, there's no way Rangers or The Rubber Johnnies should be losing to the teams they lost to. Give ourselves a chance FFS.  I mean, that game Rangers lost was like losing to East Kilbride. 

9 minutes ago, adamntg said:

There's been a lot more chat than on this thread but unfair of me to expect you to have seen that.

Howerver, you are dismissing the July to April idea because May has nice weather only to propose materially changing the entire league solely for said better weather but then have a mid-season break for a month when our weather "peaks"? 

I'm not pretending to know what the answer is but I have a fear that Scottish football will lose out to the many alternatives available to people over the summer months.

4 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

There's been a lot more chat than on this thread but unfair of me to expect you to have seen that.

Howerver, you are dismissing the July to April idea because May has nice weather only to propose materially changing the entire league solely for said better weather but then have a mid-season break for a month when our weather "peaks"? 

I'm not pretending to know what the answer is but I have a fear that Scottish football will lose out to the many alternatives available to people over the summer months.

Maybe you're right.  The game's going doon the lavvy the noo though, we have to try something.  

We're all going daft cos Aberdeen won a tie against a team who finished in the bottom half of the Bosnian league. Time was, not even that long ago, you'd have expect Aberdeen, Hearts, Utd etc to be cuffing far better teams from that neck of the woods. They have no more TV or Champions League ones than we do - what's up?