Summer Football? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes sense given our climate etc.

If you were to start a professional league tomorrow, you wouldn't play through December, January and February... would you?

Most of the arguments against are about tradition, and outdated notions of us all going our holidays at the same time. Shot out the water by half our teams being out of Europe before the fair.

Only possible negative I can see is that it could make signing players for our season a bit tricky as we'd be outside the football calendar of most of our neighbours. You could end up losing half your team 2/3s through a season.

Start in early March, end at New Year. 

- Playing through our best weather
- Avoiding the worst weather
- Keeping well attended festive games 
- Teams being well prepared for European games

Makes absolute sense. What better way to spend Hogmanay than with a relegation or title decider :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Start in early March, end at New Year. 

- Playing through our best weather
- Avoiding the worst weather
- Keeping well attended festive games 
- Teams being well prepared for European games

Makes absolute sense. What better way to spend Hogmanay than with a relegation or title decider :lol: 

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd take January & February off.

That said I got soaked to the skin on Friday night in mid July.

My proposal welcomes your support. 

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I think I said somewhere else on the tamb that we would need to start at the beginning of February.

If one of the key arguments for playing summer football is so our players are match fit for the Qualifying rounds in July then the same argument is valid for starting in February or end of January as the knockout rounds start on the 13th. OK it's only on odd occasions Celtic get that far at the moment but lets give them a chance. Surely it's harder going in against a top team in Europe with no matches than it is against teams from Luxembourg, Lithuania, Bosnia or Northern Ireland.

Personally I'd be giving teams December and January off.

June and start of July should be the group stage of a league cup involving everyone. I don't think you can really play any competitive league matches on those dates due to a few players playing international matches (qualifiers, friendlies, world cups or euros).

Whether the league season runs February to November or continues August - May I'm not really bothered.

For Summer football it would prepare us better for European games. Only downside possibly rock hard parks, our players struggle to control a ball as it is.

Would also create better  television exposure and be good putting a coupon on League games which mean something.

2 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Start season in July and end it in April. Summer football is a terrible idea.

50 minutes ago, Mitre said:

Agree 100%

Why is it a terrible idea?

I think that seems a decent compromise. Could have a negative impact on the national team, as we tend to have qualifiers in June.

Why is it a compromise?  Full blown summer football is a material change. A compromise would be starting the season in July and ending it in April as suggested.  Our teams are then prepared for Europe, which seems to be the main reason for the calls to change.

The reasons against summer football are well documented (and I can't be ersed going through them all again).

1 minute ago, SMcoolJ said:

Why is it a compromise?  Full blown summer football is a material change. A compromise would be starting the season in July and ending it in April as suggested.  Our teams are then prepared for Europe, which seems to be the main reason for the calls to change.

The reasons against summer football are well documented (and I can't be ersed going through them all again).

I was agreeing on July to April being a decent compromise.

:ok:

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The difference being it would of been around 15C warmer on the Friday night in July as opposed to a Friday night in January....

19 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Why is it a terrible idea?

I think that seems a decent compromise. Could have a negative impact on the national team, as we tend to have qualifiers in June.

Yeah, would not be helpful to have a squad made up of a third to a half of players who have not kicked a ball in anger for roughly 6 weeks as the season ended in April

Would only be a problem every other year, presuming we never qualify for anything.

:lol:

Could possibly sit out that round of fixtures? Although FIFA/UEFA probably wouldn't allow it.

How long after the last league game was the England game? 3 weeks?

Not to be negative but if we qualified for a major tournament again what would be the chances of still being in it come July?! :ph34r:

How do the European leagues that play summer football work their calendar if participating in a Finals? Also, would you be allowed to play domestic fixture when it was taking place?? Imagine so but maybe UEFA/FIFA want sole focus being on their footballing spectacle..

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Could have a negative impact on the national team, as we tend to have qualifiers in June.

Which is why as I said earlier you play a league cup group stage involving everyone during June and the early weeks of July. That way league games are not affected by international players not being available and any team that sees a number of there players away can give fringe / youth players a chance.

Some people will argue it might devalue the league cup but it already was when European spot was removed from it. Using it as a form of summer cup / mid season tournament might increase interest if it is the only domestic football going for a month and a half

7 minutes ago, drew said:

Which is why as I said earlier you play a league cup group stage involving everyone during June and the early weeks of July. That way league games are not affected by international players not being available and any team that sees a number of there players away can give fringe / youth players a chance.

Some people will argue it might devalue the league cup but it already was when European spot was removed from it. Using it as a form of summer cup / mid season tournament might increase interest if it is the only domestic football going for a month and a half

I was referring to the impact on the national team of having players not having kicked a ball for 6 weeks plus before a Qualifier.

Just now, sbcmfc said:

I was referring to the impact on the national team of having players not having kicked a ball for 6 weeks plus before a Qualifier.

Sorry. For some reason I made a mess of the quoting and lost half of what I tried to post. I was actually trying to respond to the point of international tournaments in June and July.

I was quoting you to say 100% agree that it would have negative impact on the national team for June qualifiers. I think it would be a disaster.

I think with very just a few posts on this subject just shows it's actually hard to find a solution for everyone.

• We want players to be playing a couple of competitive matches before going into European games you ideally want to start playing again in the middle of June and the start of February.
  • We don't want players to be going a period of time not playing before internationals.
  • We don't want players to miss part of the league season due to international tournaments.

Add to that fans can't agree about summer football or what dates to shut down for.

It will be an impossible task for the authorities to come up with a solution without someone hammering them.

55 minutes ago, drew said:

Sorry. For some reason I made a mess of the quoting and lost half of what I tried to post. I was actually trying to respond to the point of international tournaments in June and July.

I was quoting you to say 100% agree that it would have negative impact on the national team for June qualifiers. I think it would be a disaster.

I think with very just a few posts on this subject just shows it's actually hard to find a solution for everyone.

• We want players to be playing a couple of competitive matches before going into European games you ideally want to start playing again in the middle of June and the start of February.
  • We don't want players to be going a period of time not playing before internationals.
  • We don't want players to miss part of the league season due to international tournaments.

Add to that fans can't agree about summer football or what dates to shut down for.

It will be an impossible task for the authorities to come up with a solution without someone hammering them.

Orher countries manage it without difficulty, yet for us it's an intractable problem? We have a summer break for World Cups, stretch out the season a bit. We need good pitches, extra TV money and teams making Europa League group stages. Summer football ticks all these boxes. We've already got summer football anyway, just in a vey disjointed form.