Milan - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Milan

Guest MorayCupMan

Guest MorayCupMan

I am planning a wee trip to milan in August and planning a game at the San siro, never been before so dunno how hard it might be to get ticket for ac or inter game..serie a fixtures haven't been released yet..should be this week though. Been to a few games in Holland and Spain and tickets were easy to get...had a wee search last night but could not seem to get any insight.

Thanks

MCM

3 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Had a day in Milan a couple of weeks ago while on our family holiday at Lake Garda. 

I'd give Milan a miss in all honesty, hardly anything worth seeing. We spent an hour in the fitba museum, that was the best part of the day.......

http://www.wheremilan.com/discover-milan/museum/la-stringa-doro-football-museum/

Yeah i was there for the Scotland game in the San Siro in 2005ish

Didn't like the city at all, Duomo square was alright i suppose, the game in Bari a few years later was miles better 

Milan is on the face of it one of the less remarkable Italian cities for tourists, although the best bits aren't in the centre - by all means visit the Duomo, but for eating / drinking and accommodation I would recommend staying in the Navilgi area - anywhere around Porta Genova should be good. Not sure about tickets for the San Siro but given the size of the stadium it shouldn't be a problem unless a Milan derby I would think, particularly given neither Milan side can be said to be at their peak at the moment. I was at a gig at the San Siro last year and was pleased to note they have extended the metro (red line from memory) right to the stadium.

I'd echo the comments on Milan above. We finished off a mini-italian tour with a couple of nights there last year and were really underwhelmed. Not much to see/do for tourists. 

Also, be aware that depending on the exact date of your visit, it may be during the holiday season where pubs and restaurants will mostly be shut. We walked miles to find an open pub on a Saturday afternoon! 

Milan at first glance seems alright (a tad rough around the edges), but you find the charm rubs off very fast..... but all the while you find yourself drawn to go back as you can not convince yourself that it was actually that "bad" (I have been to a lot worse.... but Milan just does not have anything that interests me.... Mrs moaned to go for years, but I was against it, and after finding a route to get between the Lichtenstein and Spain games few years back, we compromised on doing it this way to get 7 hours in the city....and after only 2 the wife was asking if it was time to go to the airport yet).... then you go back and find yourself asking "why did I come back again?...."

Have to admit, it does actually get better the further away from the tourist traps around Duomo (we actually found some not bad bars and cafe's which I enjoyed).

If going for the football, and maybe using it as a base for seeing Lake Como or something, just keep time there to a minimum as Italy has so much better to offer.

Edited by wanderer

55 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Milan at first glance seems alright (a tad rough around the edges), but you find the charm rubs off very fast..... but all the while you find yourself drawn to go back as you can not convince yourself that it was actually that "bad" (I have been to a lot worse.... but Milan just does not have anything that interests me.... Mrs moaned to go for years, but I was against it, and after finding a route to get between the Lichtenstein and Spain games few years back, we compromised on doing it this way to get 7 hours in the city....and after only 2 the wife was asking if it was time to go to the airport yet).... then you go back and find yourself asking "why did I come back again?...."

Have to admit, it does actually get better the further away from the tourist traps around Duomo (we actually found some not bad bars and cafe's which I enjoyed).

If going for the football, and maybe using it as a base for seeing Lake Como or something, just keep time there to a minimum as Italy has so much better to offer.

If you were going to tour about Desenzano or Pescheria del Garda are better than Milan as by train it's less than an hour from Milan, 15 minutes from Verona and just over a hour to Venice plus you're on the lake.

Guest MorayCupMan

Thank you all for your replies, I am mainly going for the football/food and was planning on staying a few days as a part of a few weeks backpacking..Will definitely be checking out a few more cities/towns in Italy as well.

1 hour ago, MorayCupMan said:

Thank you all for your replies, I am mainly going for the football/food and was planning on staying a few days as a part of a few weeks backpacking..Will definitely be checking out a few more cities/towns in Italy as well.

IMO give Milan & San Siro a miss.

Lake Como is nice though.

Florence, Rome & Venice are miles better :ok:

13 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

IMO give Milan & San Siro a miss.

Lake Como is nice though.

Florence, Rome & Venice are miles better :ok:

Agree with this. 

As I said above we're just back from Italy for our summer holiday. We did a fair bit of stoating about - Lake Garda, Verona, Dolomites, Milan, Amalfi Coast, Pompeii......

Everyone on this thread has said the same thing about Milan, however, whatever you do, give Naples the biggest miss possible. What an utter shitehole! Only spent a few hours there as we were waiting on my daughter flying in, but that was more than enough. The most minging city I've ever had the misfortune of being in ?

Edited by McTeeko

12 hours ago, McTeeko said:

As I said above we're just back from Italy for our summer holiday. We did a fair bit of stoating about - Lake Garda, Verona, Dolomites, Milan, Amalfi Coast, Pompeii......

Everyone on this thread has said the same thing about Milan, however, whatever you do, give Naples the biggest miss possible. What an utter shitehole! Only spent a few hours there as we were waiting on my daughter flying in, but that was more than enough. The most minging city I've ever had the misfortune of being in ?

Totally agree on Naples, we got the train up from Sorrento and passed through a station in the suburbs where a guy was shooting up on the platform, that sort of set the scene a horrible city. Verona is brilliant.

Went to San Siro a few years ago. Bought ticket at the ground on the day of the game.

Take your Passport with you when you buy your ticket as you won't get one without it.