Steak Pie - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steak Pie

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Celery in Lasagne?

You're taking last week too hard and you need help for some kind of psychiatric disorder.

Aye, fry up some finely chopped celery and carrot with rock salt and pepper in a generous amount of Olive oil. Add good quality beef and pork mince (70/30%), and a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme, and brown the meat.

Once done, add hand-crushed tinned tomatoes, stock and red wine, and gently cook for about 3/4 hours, until reduced. You want to cook your meat for a long time, so add more liquid if it dries. You can even add a bit of sugar, and more seasoning if need be.

Make up your bechamel sauce, with a couple of bay leaves cooking in the liquid.

Layer the lasagne with pasta, meat, bechamel, sliced mozzarella and a good handful of parmesan cheese, and repeat. Top with bechamel, mozzerella and paramesan, and cook for about 40/50 mins at 180/200 (I have an non-fan assisted electric oven, so this will vary for others).

Take out and leave it to settle for 10 mins, then serve with a green salad with a dressing of choice. And of course, add some of pepper and more fresh paramesan on top of the lasagne (and a couple of basil leaves...if you are a w**k!)

I won't describe how to make pasta (very hard work by hand!), but you are better using dried pasta than these so called fresh pasta sheets.

Got this from Motley Fool:-

I shan't give quantities,more of a method really which has served me well.The secret as such is the beer that you use.

The word "Ale" goes back to Norse times and I suppose the recipe does too.If you use a modern British beer,by the time it has reduced it will be too bitter.We grow the best hops in the world and we like to use them.Even using a beer called ale today it will be too bitter.The secret is to use a style of beer that copies the beer from the days before we used hops.

Somewhat suprisingly that beer comes from the Carribean!

Any stout from that area is a different beer to what we know as stout.Even Guiness from the Banks's brewery in Barbados doesn't taste like Guines which is made with Patent malt,i.e. burned!

These stouts like Dragon or Lion stout are sometimes in our supermarkets and often in back street non-chain off licenses.

I don't use any other cooking liquid,just a knob of butter at the end for gloss.They just get richer as they cook and make a superb gravy.If you are unable to find Carribean stout,our last milk stout;Mackeson, makes a very acceptable substitute.Sainsurys still sell it.

So, brown some onions with a little oil.Add your stewing or braising steak and let it take on a little colour.

Add the beer,sufficient to cover the meat and bring up to simmer.Hold at the simmer for as long as it takes to become tender,perhaps 2 to 3 hours.Don't boil it you want a gentle simmer to break down the tougher components of the beef.This can be done in the oven at around Gas Mark 3.You will notice I don't dust the meat in flour.this induces burning if not stirred.....and a dish that can be left alone is a great advantage in a busy restaurant.

Towards the end of cooking add the following,to suit your taste:

Mustard powder,or ready made.

Tomato ketchup or paste.

Pinch of mixed herbs.

touch of garlic puree.

Burgess mushroom ketchup or Lea and Perrins Worchester Sauce.

Salt and pepper.

Leave the lid off now to let the vinegar escape from the ketchups if used.I thicken the gravy now with slaked cornflour or just cheap gravy granules....though don't season with salt until you've used the granules.

Stir in a knob of butter and you will have a delicious,glossy,very dark gravy.....the meat should be tender and falling apart.You now need to cool the filling......you can't put pastry on a hot filling.

I usually served this as a top-crust pie and decorated with a pastry steers head..just a letter "T" with the bar sharpened and turned as horns..a knife flick for ears and eyes and holes for nostrils.Then when you serve it you can puncture the nostrils with a skewer and they appear to snort!

This is the most divisive topic I have ever seen on the TAMB, I think we all need to be a bit more tolerant of each other's viewpoints.

FFS...

Wait til we start discussing stovies.

Tatties, onions, beef stock, with salt and pepper to season.

Nothing else. Thats the ingredients.

And definitely no fucling celery!!!

Wait til we start discussing stovies.

Tatties, onions, beef stock, with salt and pepper to season.

Nothing else. Thats the ingredients.

And definitely no fucling celery!!!

Nae meat?

Haggis stovies are the dugs plums

Edited by biffer