Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

9 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I was worried when the pre-season reports on Liverpool were glowing about Moreno.  Its early days but Robertson always strikes me as very professional so let's hope he forces his way into the team.

I am hoping the shocking defending and Moreno performance i am watching now will give robertson a chance

On 8/12/2017 at 1:57 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes we can hope but it is very worrying. I cannot recall (in recent times) a Scot being signed for one of the bigger clubs and displacing a big foreign signing to make the place his own. I wouldn't count Darren Fletcher at United as he was home grown.

I'm not sure who rates him so highly.  He's been absolutely woeful in our last five games or so.

And that's absolutely no exaggeration.  He could barely make a pass against Canada.

As for Snodgrass, yes he's slow, but he's certainly one of our better players. Who are the better options on the right of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1?

His time at West Ham's been very strange. Played out of position, doesn't perform, criticised.

“I was also asked to play on the left to fill the gap vacated by Dmitri Payet but it's never been my position. I've scored nearly a hundred goals as a mainly right-sided player and I've said to the manager that's where I think I'm most effective.

“We've had a very good discussion and hopefully I'll be given a run of games where I'm comfortable. If it doesn't happen right away, I will have to wait for my chance.”

59 minutes ago, the_fadiator said:

As for Snodgrass, yes he's slow, but he's certainly one of our better players. Who are the better options on the right of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1?

His time at West Ham's been very strange. Played out of position, doesn't perform, criticised.

“I was also asked to play on the left to fill the gap vacated by Dmitri Payet but it's never been my position. I've scored nearly a hundred goals as a mainly right-sided player and I've said to the manager that's where I think I'm most effective.

“We've had a very good discussion and hopefully I'll be given a run of games where I'm comfortable. If it doesn't happen right away, I will have to wait for my chance.”

Ryan fraser, oliver burke, callum macgregor, even james forrest. 

9 hours ago, jamboman said:

I was in complete agreement till you mentioned Forrest. Forrest isn't good enough for international football and never has been.

12 hours ago, jamboman said:

Fraser: Plays on the left, so no for right of the three, but challenging for the left position.

Burke: Eventually when he's playing, but not now (assuming Snodgrass leaves West Ham and starts getting 1st team football)

McGregor: He's a central midfielder, though versatile, but no.

Forrest: Has more pace, but inconsistent and slated (excessively) on here for past performances.

1 hour ago, the_fadiator said:

Fraser: Plays on the left, so no for right of the three, but challenging for the left position.

Burke: Eventually when he's playing, but not now (assuming Snodgrass leaves West Ham and starts getting 1st team football)

Forrest: Has more pace, but inconsistent and slated (excessively) on here for past performances.

Fraser is right footed, so is well equipped to play on the right.

2 hours ago, the_fadiator said:

Fraser played on the right for Aberdeen, he's right footed and has also played on the right for Bournemouth 

52 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Fraser is right footed, so is well equipped to play on the right.

Does he ever play on the right? Always seems to be on the left. Incidentally, Snodgrass is left footed, but isn't great on the left. For me, unless someone's a cut above, the golden rule of international football is picking form players in the positions they're showing that form. By that logic, Snodgrass wouldn't start if there was a game tomorrow, but if he moves to another club and plays regularly I'd say he's still the best option on the right...

Edited by the_fadiator

2 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

I suspect Klopp is going to phase him in once he's convinced he's up to Liverpool's tempo.

He looked up to speed in pre-season, but I can imagine there's some difference between playing for Hull and playing for Liverpool.  You don't spend £8m on a Premier League player to not even include him in the match day squad.

I'd be quite shocked if Robertson doesn't take the left back position within say 2 month. Moreno just isn't up to it and that will be evidenced in the next few weeks. If Milner goes back to left back and keeps Robbo benched then that indeed would be pretty crap transfer business by Klopp.