Domestic Season 17/18 - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Domestic Season 17/18

Guest BlueGaz

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Just watched the Saints Killie goals. 3 beauties. Although, O Halloran's is the pick of the lot. 

Killie's defence just about scored it for him. Utterly criminal to let him run across the entire box unchallenged. 

Just now, RenfrewBlue said:

Killie's defence just about scored it for him. Utterly criminal to let him run across the entire box unchallenged. 

He could've scored a Van Basten volley and you lot wouldnae gie him credit. :lol:

9 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Oaf! Ceelo hit the Bucky early this morning!

Seen the penalty now, just aswell bobby Madden isn't Italian! Was it him that went on a crusade early last season and gave 2 or 3 penalties in the 1st game?

I watched the highlights and at full speed I thought it was a penalty but the replay, at a shitey angle admittedly, didn't look as bad. I'll take it though as we just about deserved the win. 

The ball hitting Hodson was never a penalty. You'd get 3 a game if you gave those. 

7 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Not injury cover. He will play. Squad rotation. Forrest is in at the moment but, as we all know, is inconsistent. Hayes, like other players, will play. It's why Armstrong & Rogic were on bench and McGregor and Ntcham played yesterday.

Celtic (and previously) Rangers can't really win. Buy domestically and you are said to be weakening the opposition, buy only foreign players, as they used to previously and you are filling the league with over priced foreigners at the expense of local players.

Maybe you would like to suggest who exactly Celtic should buy which will meet your stringent requirements.?

I think the rules are wrong and squads should be limited to a maximum of 18 or 20 players over 21 years old.  I also think there should be a squad salary cap. 

I think somebody in a position of power has to do something to try and make the sport more entertaining, or it will eventually die of boredom. 

5 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I think somebody in a position of power has to do something to try and make the sport more entertaining, or it will eventually die of boredom. 

I'd love that to happen but it will never now. The boat has sailed.  The generation of younger fans nowadays don't give a toss about Saints, United or whoever. To them fitba' is about PSG, Barca or Bayern against whatever English shite. A total borefest. 

8 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I think the rules are wrong and squads should be limited to a maximum of 18 or 20 players over 21 years old.  I also think there should be a squad salary cap. 

Both fair points but the first one is gonna have "restriction of trade" being roared by all and sundry as is possibly the second one. Plus with the second one clubs will always find ways round it. Hell some tried without there even being a salary cap in place! Salary caps seems very American sport to me. Then again their competitions are competitive....but each sport is pretty much, at the top of the tree, US only so not loads of other countries to compete with.

We also should only be doing these sort of things if it's Europe wide otherwise it puts our league at a disadvantage to any league that doesn't adopt these rules. 

We could always adopt the first one post Brexit?!

Overall I do see your argument and, generally, agree something should be done but I don't really have any solutions and can probably play Devils Advocate on any that are suggested. End of the day Celtic will win the league with or without Hayes but he will play a part in doing so.

13 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I watched the highlights and at full speed I thought it was a penalty but the replay, at a shitey angle admittedly, didn't look as bad. I'll take it though as we just about deserved the win. 

The ball hitting Hodson was never a penalty. You'd get 3 a game if you gave those. 

Both decisions are bug bears of mine. I hate seeing penalties for likes of Hodsons, as it was point blank, and running with your hands behind your back is far more "unnatural" and the penalty Rangers got is a foul anywhere else on the park, so should be a penalty.

You just don't see these rules applied so well normally.

34 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Both decisions are bug bears of mine. I hate seeing penalties for likes of Hodsons, as it was point blank, and running with your hands behind your back is far more "unnatural" and the penalty Rangers got is a foul anywhere else on the park, so should be a penalty.

You just don't see these rules applied so well normally.

This is true. So many times simple fouls aren't given as penalties despite being stick ons anywhere else on the pitch. 

I'm glad both decisions went our way as we'd missed plenty of chances already and didn't look like scoring from open play again. 

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

He could've scored a Van Basten volley and you lot wouldnae gie him credit. :lol:

It was a good finish but realistically he shouldn't have enough been anywhere near the goal. 

Would you have been happy if you'd lost to that goal? 

10 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Both fair points but the first one is gonna have "restriction of trade" being roared by all and sundry as is possibly the second one. Plus with the second one clubs will always find ways round it. Hell some tried without there even being a salary cap in place! Salary caps seems very American sport to me. Then again their competitions are competitive....but each sport is pretty much, at the top of the tree, US only so not loads of other countries to compete with.

We also should only be doing these sort of things if it's Europe wide otherwise it puts our league at a disadvantage to any league that doesn't adopt these rules. 

We could always adopt the first one post Brexit?!

Overall I do see your argument and, generally, agree something should be done but I don't really have any solutions and can probably play Devils Advocate on any that are suggested. End of the day Celtic will win the league with or without Hayes but he will play a part in doing so.

I'm sure restraint of trade only applies to individuals.  If the clubs wanted to adopt these rules they could do it simply by agreeing to it. It would also benefit the national team by not suffocating our young players just when they're needing firstvteam football   

It doesn't really need Europe to do it, let's face it we've missed the boat there years ago.  The only thing at risk in Europe is that Celtic might miss getting knocked out in the group stage every four seasons.  And who knows; a competitive league might produce better footballers, and it might entice more TV money in so in the long run it could be to Celtic's benefit as well. I don't see what they (or their supporters) get by knowing they'll win the league before a ball is kicked. 

Edited by adamntg