Any other (transfer) business - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any other (transfer) business

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Jamie Walker away?  I guess who takes over at Hearts will have a major say on that one.  If Cathro had stayed then I'd think he would have been off but with  a new manager it might be different.

Walker will be away, he has burned his bridges

Hopefully Hearts bring in a keeper otherwise Hamilton is going to keep costing us goals and points this season 

2 or 3 more will come into Aberdeen but a question mark on quality.

We'll obviously be getting a striker, a winger / attacking midfielder and someone who can fill in at the back and midfield.

As usual if we don't get our preferred targets we'll just fill those positions with wildcard loan signings which can be hit and miss. For every decent loan we've had an Alan Tate.

Edited by drew

1 hour ago, drew said:

We'll obviously be getting a striker, a winger / attacking midfielder and someone who can fill in at the back and midfield.

As usual if we don't get our preferred targets we'll just fill those positions with wildcard loan signings which can be hit and miss. For every decent loan we've had an Alan Tate.

How many loanees can you have, you've already got Stewart and Christie?

18 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

How many loanees can you have, you've already got Stewart and Christie?

I'm not sure. I think the maximum we've ever had at one time was 3 but they were from outwith Scotland.

I'm saying loans it could also be handing out 6 month or 1 year contracts to free agents but I can't think of many cases McInnes has done that.

8 hours ago, drew said:

Alan Tate!!  He played like he was herding sheep. Terrible player. Was glad to see the back of him. The lad from WBA was poor too. 

12 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Alan Tate!!  He played like he was herding sheep. Terrible player. Was glad to see the back of him. The lad from WBA was poor too. 

We've had some honkers. Daniels from WBA was probably one of the better ones which just shows how poor some of them have been.

The list below is players we've had in on 6 month loans or lasted 6 months and only 3 of them made a regular start. Madison and Quinn were useful in some games. The rest were just squad fillers.

Michael Hector

Alan Tate

Jeffrey Monakana

Donervon Daniels

Danny Ward

Josh Parker

Ryan McLaughlin

Simon Church

Adam Colin

Wes Burns

James Madison

Gregg Wylde

Nicky Weaver

Andy Driver

Paul Quinn

Josh Parker was a strange one as he played a big part coming on against Celtic when we were down to ten men and drawing to help us win the game. He then turned to rubbish.

Edited by drew

1 hour ago, drew said:

We've had some honkers. Daniels from WBA was probably one of the better ones which just shows how poor some of them have been.

The list below is players we've had in on 6 month loans or lasted 6 months and only 3 of them made a regular start. Madison and Quinn were useful in some games. The rest were just squad fillers.

Michael Hector

Alan Tate

Jeffrey Monakana

Donervon Daniels

Danny Ward

Josh Parker

Ryan McLaughlin

Simon Church

Adam Colin

Wes Burns

James Madison

Gregg Wylde

Nicky Weaver

Andy Driver

Paul Quinn

Josh Parker was a strange one as he played a big part coming on against Celtic when we were down to ten men and drawing to help us win the game. He then turned to rubbish.

You're right, having looked at that list, Daniels was probably one of the slightly better names. I can't even remember Adam Colin (had to Google!)?  Hector, Ward, Maddison and to a lesser extent Church were probably the more successful loanees.  I always thought we could have got more out of Monakana and Burns but see that neither has hardly played since being with us.

i thought Church was a good signing. If we're struggling to get a striker at the very end of the transfer window I wouldn't be against taking him back in on a short term deal.

Maddison was good but I think including him in the team usually caused an issue with balance. He seemed to replace McGinn on the wing a lot (league cup final) but did little defensive work and was always caught in the middle of the park. I felt that played a big part to our inconsistent first half of the season. Christie in the second half of the season was a massive upgrade.

Guys like Ward and Hector were obviously well researched and known to the management team as they were signed very early in the transfer windows. Most of the others were signed in the last week of the transfer window trying to fill in holes in the squad. Just feel the squad fillers is all we are going to get now.

Wasn't a fan of Church.  An almost Identical player to Rooney.  Thought it was a strange/desperate loan signing.  He only proved slightly useful because Rooney got injured. Had Rooney not been injured, not sure what Church would have brought.  Would add that I'm not a Rooney fan.....!

Agree regarding Maddison and I think this was due, in part, to the fact McInnes couldn't figure out how to put out a balanced team with him in it. League Cup Final being the best evidence of that.

1 hour ago, SMcoolJ said:

Wasn't a fan of Church.  An almost Identical player to Rooney.  Thought it was a strange/desperate loan signing.  He only proved slightly useful because Rooney got injured. Had Rooney not been injured, not sure what Church would have brought.  Would add that I'm not a Rooney fan.....!

Agree regarding Maddison and I think this was due, in part, to the fact McInnes couldn't figure out how to put out a balanced team with him in it. League Cup Final being the best evidence of that.

The way to get a balanced team was by dropping McLean. Mcinnes just wasn't prepared to do that. 

31 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The way to get a balanced team was by dropping McLean. Mcinnes just wasn't prepared to do that. 

This or play McLean deeper by dropping Jack or moving Shinnie to left back. Could also just accept that it wasn't possible to fit Maddison into the starting 11 so keep him on the bench. I'd probably go for dropping McLean as he was quite slow at getting his season started and was deserving of being dropped for a bit.

If McGinn was needing rested because he played in the Euros then Wes Burns was the obvious replacement to keep some width and protection for the full back.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Dropping McLean would have given us a more balanced team. But also a better team with more heart, energy and dig along with less pointing, diving and generally being a bit sh1t!