Glen Campbell - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Very interesting guy.  

He started out as a session guitarist and was a member of the legendary Wrecking Crew which gives you an idea of how good he was.   

Wichita Lineman is about as perfect a song as you can get. 

14 hours ago, aaid said:

Very interesting guy.  

He started out as a session guitarist and was a member of the legendary Wrecking Crew which gives you an idea of how good he was.   

Wichita Lineman is about as perfect a song as you can get. 

Aye he played guitar on so many classic 60s songs.

Sad news, glad he kept the flame burning right to the end though. RIP Glen.

I was introduced to 2 of my loves by my grandparents, my gran pointed out Marilyn Monroe in All About Eve and my grampa told me La Boeuf in True Grit was a singer and put one of his albums on after the film.  Loved Marilyn and Glen ever since.  I was lucky to see Glen Campbell a few times in concert, his last tour was Ghost on the Canvas and it was bittersweet. First half he looked just like his old self, handsome, funny and with the most amazing voice, singing all his best known hits word perfect. The second half was mainly songs from Ghost on the Canvas and the early stages of the Alzheimer's became clear. They raised the auto cues, he was helped on and off the stage and he made wee jokes about his memory and it was very obvious he was being watched by the band. Love is often over used but I loved Glen Campbell, never knew him or met him but if I was ever fed up or down my mood could invariably be lifted, even just a little bit, by listening to some of his music, especially when paired with Jimmy Webb's songs. It also helped that he always reminded me of my grampa. I was on holiday this week with no wifi or phone signal so didn't hear about his death for a few days . When I did I listened to Adios had a whisky, then some more and a wee cry.

I imagine his death was a blessed relief for what was left of Glen Campbell and his friends and family albeit a very sad relief. 

18 hours ago, G-Man said:

I was introduced to 2 of my loves by my grandparents, my gran pointed out Marilyn Monroe in All About Eve and my grampa told me La Boeuf in True Grit was a singer and put one of his albums on after the film.  Loved Marilyn and Glen ever since.  I was lucky to see Glen Campbell a few times in concert, his last tour was Ghost on the Canvas and it was bittersweet. First half he looked just like his old self, handsome, funny and with the most amazing voice, singing all his best known hits word perfect. The second half was mainly songs from Ghost on the Canvas and the early stages of the Alzheimer's became clear. They raised the auto cues, he was helped on and off the stage and he made wee jokes about his memory and it was very obvious he was being watched by the band. Love is often over used but I loved Glen Campbell, never knew him or met him but if I was ever fed up or down my mood could invariably be lifted, even just a little bit, by listening to some of his music, especially when paired with Jimmy Webb's songs. It also helped that he always reminded me of my grampa. I was on holiday this week with no wifi or phone signal so didn't hear about his death for a few days . When I did I listened to Adios had a whisky, then some more and a wee cry.

I imagine his death was a blessed relief for what was left of Glen Campbell and his friends and family albeit a very sad relief. 

I seen him at the Royal Concert Hall in 2010. His daughter supported him ( musically) on stage . Not sure if that was when you seen him. His daughter was excellent too. Infact there may have been 2 daughters on stage. I remember a great version of Black Horse and the Cherry Tree.

I listened to his music on Spotify yesterday and was telling my daughter that her gran really liked him and that  I remember listening to it when I was young.

She said that she had been out running the other day and had used my ipod as she couldnt find hers.  She said that Orson came on and that she remembers Orson from when she was wee and  I was playing it whilst doing the  housework at the weekend.

Somehow I  dont imagine there will be millions of people mourning the members of Orson on their demise, although No Tomorrow is a great song... 

Listened to this yesterday and it reminded me how the most simple of songs can be very uplifting . 

On 13/08/2017 at 8:27 PM, TDYER63 said:

I seen him at the Royal Concert Hall in 2010. His daughter supported him ( musically) on stage . Not sure if that was when you seen him. His daughter was excellent too. Infact there may have been 2 daughters on stage. I remember a great version of Black Horse and the Cherry Tree.

I listened to his music on Spotify yesterday and was telling my daughter that her gran really liked him and that  I remember listening to it when I was young.

She said that she had been out running the other day and had used my ipod as she couldnt find hers.  She said that Orson came on and that she remembers Orson from when she was wee and  I was playing it whilst doing the  housework at the weekend.

Somehow I  dont imagine there will be millions of people mourning the members of Orson on their demise, although No Tomorrow is a great song... 

Listened to this yesterday and it reminded me how the most simple of songs can be very uplifting . 

Concert was November 2011 so it will have been the same one Tdyer. 3 of his children were in his backing band and played a short set on their own. 

My grampa was a steel worker by day but a cowboy in his heart night and day so I grew up with country music and Westerns. At times of trouble gramps would always say "Circle the wagons!" Years ago and a few years after he died I had a wee scary time whilst walking my dog in Pollok Park and i think the main reason he didn't continue chasing me through the woods wasn't because I was outrunning him but because I was shouting at the top of my lungs, "CIRCLE THE WAGONS KIMMY CIRCLE THE WAGONS." over and over. (Kimmy was my wee dog)  

7 hours ago, G-Man said:

Concert was November 2011 so it will have been the same one Tdyer. 3 of his children were in his backing band and played a short set on their own. 

My grampa was a steel worker by day but a cowboy in his heart night and day so I grew up with country music and Westerns. At times of trouble gramps would always say "Circle the wagons!" Years ago and a few years after he died I had a wee scary time whilst walking my dog in Pollok Park and i think the main reason he didn't continue chasing me through the woods wasn't because I was outrunning him but because I was shouting at the top of my lungs, "CIRCLE THE WAGONS KIMMY CIRCLE THE WAGONS." over and over. (Kimmy was my wee dog)  

?