This Weekends Matches 2017/18 - Page 21 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Matches 2017/18

34 minutes ago, Debian said:

Just seen Brown's 'kick' - while he did flick the boot, did he actually catch the boy?

Think the intent was there, he flicks out towards the guy's face. Whether he connects or not is surely immaterial?

Pretty needless and idiotic thing to do, but allows him to swagger about for a few minutes puffing his chest out...

2 hours ago, Debian said:

Just seen Brown's 'kick' - while he did flick the boot, did he actually catch the boy?

Is there something happening with that?  Seen them chatting about it after the game, but didn't think there was enough there to be 'investigated' for want of better words.

20 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You seem upset.

I'm sure our brave troops had a great day, let's hope they left their bigotry at home this time.

Very few things have the power to upset me these days. 

You're not one of them. 

I just find it baffling that folk who haven't seen something can be so annoyed by it. Especially when they don't actually know if anything untoward happened. It's just about the ultimate in that special kind of offended martyrdom that the Internet and social media has created. 

It used to be Celtic fans that held that crown which some Rangers fans had more recently shown talent for. 

4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Very few things have the power to upset me these days. 

You're not one of them. 

I just find it baffling that folk who haven't seen something can be so annoyed by it. Especially when they don't actually know if anything untoward happened. It's just about the ultimate in that special kind of offended martyrdom that the Internet and social media has created. 

It used to be Celtic fans that held that crown which some Rangers fans had more recently shown talent for. 

I'm not annoyed by anything that occurred on Saturday. I did notice the official army twitter account promoting the troops "enjoying their day out" while one soldier in full uniform was draped in a 1690 scarf. 

It's little wonder so many people have the attitude they do towards the army when they're condoning that shite. 

12 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'm not annoyed by anything that occurred on Saturday. I did notice the official army twitter account promoting the troops "enjoying their day out" while one soldier in full uniform was draped in a 1690 scarf. 

It's little wonder so many people have the attitude they do towards the army when they're condoning that shite. 

Uneducated.  You shouldn't let bawheids worry you, you never have with me.  

Can't help but laugh at the subservient weirdos in the stands clapping like fuking seals cos some cannon fodder from the schemes wore uniforms and marched round the park :lol:

The hypocrisy from certain folk over it is pathetic.

Political banners or songs at football? No, absolutely shocking. It's not on. Ban them all.

A day for glorifying war? Wow look at the size of our fuking cannon. Get it up ye, Timmy. WATP

Tadgers

53 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Will it be more acceptable at a Scotland /England game with "Bannockburn 1314" on the scarf, at least we will know he is a Scottish soldier then, but surely no one has such a scarf

Edited by The White Ceelo
none

19 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Can't help but laugh at the subservient weirdos in the stands clapping like fuking seals cos some cannon fodder from the schemes wore uniforms and marched round the park :lol:

The "oor brave laddies can do nae wrong" types are gonna have a fecking heart attack reading that :lol:

2 minutes ago, The White Ceelo said:

Will it be more acceptable at a Scotland /England game with "Bannockburn 1314" on the scarf,

Emmm obviously.

As one of the battles was a deeply religious conflict, with one side on the side of maintaining protestant rule over Ireland, with the other on the side of religious freedom and tolerance of Catholicism in the country. 
While the other was a battle where natives were defending the sovereignty of their nation from an invading oppressive force. 

A"Bannockburn 1314" scarf would be pretty cringy IMO and definitely not something i would wear. While it may be slightly embarrassing, it certainly doesn't have connotations of religious intolerance or Protestant supremacy. 

Fortunately i can't recall seeing many such things at Scotland games anyway. 

Not quite sure why you're defending British Army soldiers wearing clothing with bigoted connotations, or the BA condoning/promoting it tbh? 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Whilst I don't like all of the 1690 keech (the lack of historical  knowledge displayed by folk who "like" William of Orange is stunning) it's not illegal and I'm sure there are serving soldiers with all sorts of other distasteful beliefs. They are only a reflection on the wider society. 

To expect them to be role models is ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Emmm obviously.

As one of the battles was a deeply religious conflict, with one side on the side of maintaining protestant rule over Ireland, with the other on the side of religious freedom and tolerance of Catholicism in the country. 
While the other was a battle where natives were defending the sovereignty of their nation from an invading oppressive force. 

A"Bannockburn 1314" scarf would be pretty cringy IMO and definitely not something i would wear. While it may be slightly embarrassing, it certainly doesn't have connotations of religious intolerance or Protestant supremacy. 

Fortunately i can't recall seeing many such things at Scotland games anyway. 

Not quite sure why you're defending British Army soldiers wearing clothing with bigoted connotations, or the BA condoning/promoting it tbh? 

I'm defending it because just like your statement says, it was one side versus another side and maybe the soldier in question has beliefs it is his right to wear such a scarf with pride. Dont be too offended if it is not your belief. This is why we live in a democracy.

24 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

The hypocrisy from certain folk over it is pathetic.

Political banners or songs at football? No, absolutely shocking. It's not on. Ban them all.

A day for glorifying war? Wow look at the size of our fuking cannon. Get it up ye, Timmy. WATP

Tadgers

I agree pretty much with your first paragraph. 

The rest is nonsense. The armed forces are not political, they obey whoever is in charge. They are tools to do a job. You don't blame the hammer for crucifying someone it's the wielder. 

And why was it a get it up you Timmy? Seriously, it has feck all to do with Celtic or their supporters. The club are fostering a positive image (partially) amongst the services. It's one of their biggest demographics. 

13 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Whilst I don't like all of the 1690 keech (the lack of historical  knowledge displayed by folk who "like" William of Orange is stunning) it's not illegal and I'm sure there are serving soldiers with all sorts of other distasteful beliefs. They are only a reflection on the wider society. 

To expect them to be role models is ridiculous. 

I'm not. I was remarking on the condoning and promotion of it by the British Army as an organisation. 

I couldn't give a feck about some sad wee, uneducated bigot. 

10 minutes ago, The White Ceelo said:

I'm defending it because just like your statement says, it was one side versus another side and maybe the soldier in question has beliefs it is his right to wear such a scarf with pride. Dont be too offended if it is not your belief. This is why we live in a democracy.

I never said it wasn't his right and i never said i was offended. 

I was remarking on the promotion of views of religious supremacy by the British Army. You then made some bizarre attempt to equate it with the Battle of Bannockburn. It reminded me how some Rangers fans try and equate Flower of Scotland with the Sash :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'm not. I was remarking on the condoning and promotion of it by the British Army as an organisation. 

I was remarking on the promotion of views of religious supremacy by the British Army. You then made some bizarre attempt to equate it with the Battle of Bannockburn. It reminded me how some Rangers fans try and equate Flower of Scotland with the Sash :lol: 

So wars for land borders are ok but wars for religious belief were so out of order (canny believe I'm sticking up for religion mind you). Was the scarf Red white and blue by any chance? 

21 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

And why was it a get it up you Timmy? Seriously, it has feck all to do with Celtic or their supporters. The club are fostering a positive image (partially) amongst the services. It's one of their biggest demographics. 

I think you're being naive if you don't believe there's an element of "get it up you Timmy" about Rangers armed forces love in.

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Condoning what exactly? 

The soldiers have obviously been given permission to attend. I doubt that the official line included anything about the type of scarves to wear. 

Just now, sbcmfc said:

I think you're being naive if you don't believe there's an element of "get it up you Timmy" about Rangers armed forces love in.

No, I think others are looking for issues to get upset about. 

The chip on the shoulder brigade are definitely making a meal of it. 

I'm sure some supporters are joining in enthusiastically as a GIRUY but not the club. 

8 minutes ago, The White Ceelo said:

So wars for land borders are ok but wars for religious belief were so out of order (canny believe I'm sticking up for religion mind you).

Yes, there's right and wrong in most conflicts. Fighting an invading force is okay in my book. Invading and oppressing folk because of their religion is not. 

8 minutes ago, The White Ceelo said:

Was the scarf Red white and blue by any chance? 

I've no idea what this means? The scarf was orange. And all i have done on this thread is express my surprise that the Army would use a soldier photographed in a "1690" scarf as promotional material. 

6 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Condoning what exactly? 

The soldiers have obviously been given permission to attend. I doubt that the official line included anything about the type of scarves to wear. 

The British Army is using a photograph with a solider wearing such a scarf to promote the day/event. To me that would mean they have no issue with it. 

10 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

No, I think others are looking for issues to get upset about. 

The chip on the shoulder brigade are definitely making a meal of it. 

I'm sure some supporters are joining in enthusiastically as a GIRUY but not the club. 

I do struggle to get my head round the whole armed forces love in at Ibrox.

Seen a couple of guys recently, with admittedly quite artistic tattoos of silhouettes of soldiers, battle fields and red poppies. Their military background equated to armed forces day at Ibrox and a help for heroes wristband. Each to their own, but I'm sure nobody needs 2 guesses at what football team they support.

Edited by sbcmfc

11 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Indeed.

As ever, they're just looking to do the exact opposite of us. Anyone who believes rangers football club genuinely gives a shit about the armed forces is delusional.

10 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I do struggle to get my head round the whole armed forces love in at Ibrox.

Seen a couple of guys recently, with admittedly quite artistic tattoos of silhouettes of soldiers, battle fields and red poppies. Their military background equated to armed forces day at Ibrox and a help for heroes wristband. Each to their own, but I'm sure nobody needs 2 guesses at what football team they support.

:crazy: :crazy:

1 hour ago, Reevesy said:

Indeed.

As ever, they're just looking to do the exact opposite of us. :lol:

Anyone who believes rangers football club genuinely gives a shit about the armed forces is delusional.

Rangers do a lot more with the military than just the event that took place last week.  There are quite a few other things that happen, instigated by the club.  So I would disagree that they don't give a shit.