Vienna - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Vienna

kumnio

Did a full day and night in Vienna on the way back from Skopje few years back.

First time there and really liked it (its got a very Berlin-ish vibe about it, yet maybe not as good, I felt).

Center is very spread out, so plenty to do (do not think I scratched the surface, but was satisfied with what I saw and did).

Stuff to see..... I did a Segway tour around the center which took in all the main stuff and bits of interesting things here and there.

Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (Milatery Museum) a lot of people find so-so, but I really enjoyed it (I find WW1 history fascinating, so was worth it alone to see Archduke Franz Ferdinand car and blood spattered clothes from Sarajevo.... also has a interesting WW2 section, but they really sell the Franz Ferdinand stuff)..... also I found the Kapuziner Crypt (Kapuzinergruft) somewhat interesting (this is the crypt of the Habsburg) located right in the heard of the city (probably see it in about 10 minutes).

Head out to Prater (that is the massive fair ground) and do the Ferris Wheel.... also late in the evening, head out to the TV Tower for a great view of the city (its located very out the way, but well worth it for a great view of the city).

For bars and restaurants, I really liked 1516 Brewing Company (a guy on the flight across raved about it, and while there my Falkirk supporting mate was to meet a Austrian footballer who played for Falkirk in the 90's, and he told us to meet him there... so seems very popular with the locals) and if heading out to Prater, find Schweizerhaus which is a massive beer garden that does great food and good beer (warning, they do beer the Czech/Central European style there where it comes with a head you can put a flake in) and also Gasthaus Pfudl in the center of town does the best Vienna Schnitzel and Apple Strudel :ok:

I went there for a wedding several years ago.  Went to the Belvedere cos the missus wanted to see The Kiss by Klimt.  It was pretty good.

Just spent the rest of the time in various beer places.  Oh, we watched Rapid Vienna fans creating an awful stink in the main square beside the cathedral (Stephansplatz?) cos they'd won the league.  I'd like to go back one day, seemed to be plenty to do/see.

I went on a wee bike tour after the Slovakia game last year.  Here is a link to the blog I did after it:  https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=18723&v=6D

If you skip to the last two pages they cover Vienna.  Its a really impressive city, as you would imagine given its history as the capital of a large empire.  Tons of old palaces and museums, etc.

The Neubau district has a lot of bars and a good place for massive schnitzel is Schnitzelwirt on Neubaugasse.  Around the Naschmarkt would also be a happy hunting ground.