Squad Announcement - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Announcement

jamboman

21 hours ago, borojock said:

GK'S - Happy with is what i would have selected

DF - I wouldnt have had Hanley or Anya as they arent playing first team football and cant be fit. I would have had Liam Cooper and Lee Wallace in

MF - Only one is i would have made room for Calum McGregor probably at McGinns expense

ST - I wouldnt have had Naismith in as i dont see what he bring especially as a striker, but him being there isnt keeping anyone i would be desperate to have. Maybe May in a couple of months if he keeps knocking the goals in

Overall pretty happy with it 

Agree with all of this. Only thing I would add is how unbelievable I think it is that McGregor didn't make the squad. 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, davew said:

Drop Darren Fletcher? He puts in an absolutely solid 90 minutes in a win against Arsenal, and you think that's the perfect time to drop him and move on?

Yes I'd drop him.

He's not going to play anyway. There are better players ahead of him.

I don't care for sentimentality. Players shouldn't be called up just for old times sake.

People wanting Lee Wallace called up made me :lol: :lol: 

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, davew said:

He puts in an absolutely solid 90 minutes in a win against Arsenal

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I don't care for sentimentality. Players shouldn't be called up just for old times sake.

Did you even read my post?

There's nothing sentimental about picking your best players.

2 minutes ago, davew said:

Did you even read my post?

There's nothing sentimental about picking your best players.

He was one of our best players .................. ten years ago.

We need to focus on players such as Tom Cairney, Callum McGregor, John McGinn and co from now on. 

Fletcher is one of yesterdays men.

I think Strachan calls Fletcher up more for his behind the scenes presence than to actually use him in his match plans (plus it does give him a strong option to bring off the bench in games), but I think this will be Darrens last campaign.

1 hour ago, the_fadiator said:

I didn't know? Really. Some people fall into habits. I have the Esh-Pee-Ell ingrained. I have absolutely no doubt you spend far more of your time than I do watching and thinking about Scottish football. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't know what you know. All i can go on is what you say. You can have some bizarre go at me over you being wrong if you want though. I don't mind at all :lol: 

Just now, robbo cop said:

Matter of opinion. Tierney is very good, but Burke has loads of potential.

I agree that Burke has potential and it was disgraceful when Strachan made him the scapegoat for the draw at home to Lithuania.

But Kieran Tierney is our best young player by a mile. Nobody comes close. He's also proving it with regular first team football in domestic and European games.

13 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

What are you basing that opinion of Burke on? All I've ever see him do is demonstrate he's fast. 

I am basing it on that as I am based near Nottingham i have seen Burke alot more times than you have and he can beat his man, dribble and score goals. Why do u think he went for around 15 million. Now tell me what are you basing your opinion that Burke is only fast on??

27 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You really are a silly little boy

I believe it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people". 

1 hour ago, robbo cop said:

I am basing it on that as I am based near Nottingham i have seen Burke alot more times than you have and he can beat his man, dribble and score goals. Why do u think he went for around 15 million. Now tell me what are you basing your opinion that Burke is only fast on??

Can't deny I've only seen what I've seen on tv, which is only a few fleeting minutes in sub appearances for RBL and all the minutes he's played for Scotland. During these times I don't think he's done anywhere near enough to get a place in the squad, and has been poor. Think he did have one run in a game that looked ok but if I remember correctly it didn't involve much skill just him barging and outrunning some guys. Those appearances at forest can't really amount to much really as I would doubt he's actually played more than 15 games worth of minutes in first team action?

What I've seen is that his touch and general skill level is well short of an international players standard and I can't say I've ever seen him dribble past someone. If he doesn't make it, he won't be the first player to be sold at that kindve price and fail. I'm in no way wishing he fails, nor am I writing him off. I don't think strachan has a case to answer in not selecting him as he needs to show some evidence to warrant a call up.

14 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

What are you basing that opinion of Burke on? All I've ever see him do is demonstrate he's fast. 

Being based down in Nottingham i have seen him play alot more times than you have. He has power, pace and not scared to take a defender on  He also scored a good few goals at Forest. Now what are you basing your opinion that he is only fast on ? Half a game against Lithuania?

Guest BlueGaz

It is a tricky one for the manager to get right in terms of bringing youngsters into the squad for competitive games.  We don't have the luxury of playing many games that we are able to give them a chance as almost every game for us is a must win these days.  On the other hand, I don't see any real value in keeping older players in the squad if they probably won't feature.  We have a few exciting young players at the moment who are ultimately going to be the bulk/guts of our team in the not too distant future, and we have to bring them in at some point.  

Also, as has been mentioned, why should he be leaving out the likes of Shinnie, when Fletcher is in.  I think we would gain far more mid-term with Shinnie in the squad than Fletcher.   

With Morrison out and strachan talking about physicality does anyone else think McGinn might get a start in the middle along with brown and Armstrong? Hes even more of a beast these days. Mind you it's only a matter of time before someone gets one of those gazza style sharp elbows in the face.

6 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Being based down in Nottingham i have seen him play alot more times than you have. He has power, pace and not scared to take a defender on  He also scored a good few goals at Forest. Now what are you basing your opinion that he is only fast on ? Half a game against Lithuania?

Not sure what else you want me to say. I've stated how I've formed my opinion in my previous post. Like I said his actual pitch time isn't much so I'm not sure how much more of him you could've seen him. Granted he has pace and power, I've never disputed those facts.

1 hour ago, Paulo2576 said:

Can't deny I've only seen what I've seen on tv, which is only a few fleeting minutes in sub appearances for RBL and all the minutes he's played for Scotland. During these times I don't think he's done anywhere near enough to get a place in the squad, and has been poor. Think he did have one run in a game that looked ok but if I remember correctly it didn't involve much skill just him barging and outrunning some guys. Those appearances at forest can't really amount to much really as I would doubt he's actually played more than 15 games worth of minutes in first team action?

What I've seen is that his touch and general skill level is well short of an international players standard and I can't say I've ever seen him dribble past someone. If he doesn't make it, he won't be the first player to be sold at that kindve price and fail. I'm in no way wishing he fails, nor am I writing him off. I don't think strachan has a case to answer in not selecting him as he needs to show some evidence to warrant a call up.

I have always felt that Burke was maybe over hyped a tad by Strachan to start with...... came on far to late in his debut v Denmark to really make a impact, but he made one bursting run that made everyone take note that there was something there (which there clearly is).

He was then used pretty sparingly in friendlies up to the first qualifier, and this is where I felt there was a break down..... Strachan almost seemed to want to tell Burke how he should play in his style/formation, rather than adapt a formation/style to suit Burke.... in Malta you could see that Burke was getting fed up chasing long balls and knock downs all day, and was only when the ball was given to his feet and allowed a degree of freedom did he seem to properly get into the game.

Then he just seemed to be one of the fall guys for the dismal performance against Lithuania, before pretty much being sounded out by Starchan in Slovakia without even kicking a ball.

At the minute I think he has a eagerness which is suited to club level, but a mixture of mismanagement and not quite ready/mature for international football has hindered him with Scotland.

Strachan is as bad as Levein for being stubborn, and I'm not even going to try and think about some of his choices, but seriously though - McGregor and Shinnie should be the first players in the squad, even right up there for a starting XI place.

Still , let's see what happens though in the next two games.

SIX points is a must and nothing else.