Squad Announcement - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Announcement

jamboman

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think still a little to early for May, and would actually expect Jason Cummings to be just ahead of May to replace Fletcher..... you would expect Cairney and McGregor would just be a straight swap, but with Strachan do not rule of Johnny Russell or Barrie McKay.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Think still a little to early for May, and would actually expect Jason Cummings to be just ahead of May to replace Fletcher..... you would expect Cairney and McGregor would just be a straight swap, but with Strachan do not rule of Johnny Russell or Barrie McKay.

True, both Russell and particularly McKay seem to be in good form, though I'm not sure what either of them would be like if they had to play a lone role up front

2 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

FFS. Missing the perfect opportunity to phase him out and take in the next generation.

While a on form and fully fit Morrison is (arguably) one of the first names on the team sheet, he can be nowhere near either at the moment after being out all summer with the injury he picked up in the England game back in June?

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

While a on form and fully fit Morrison is (arguably) one of the first names on the team sheet, he can be nowhere near either at the moment after being out all summer with the injury he picked up in the England game back in June?

Couldn't disagree more. Flatters to deceive in a Scotland shirt for me. His time should be over. Never should've begun anyway but that a different argument 

24 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Morrison had a decent game at the weekend before coming off as they tried to defend a lead with about 20 to go, but seems to have been a bit about not pushing him too much on his return. Matt Phillips was good again, as was Darren Fletcher for Stoke. Matt Ritchie was very good for Newcastle - MoM and an assist. So we have quite a few to choose from who are in a bit of form. Griffiths seems a certainty as lone striker. 

On 25/08/2017 at 5:52 PM, Paulo2576 said:

I would still be selecting Stevie fletcher also although we should definitely be looking for guys to be taking his place, just haven't seen one yet.  Not sure mcburnie has earned a call up yet though, don't think just being near a premiership squad is enough to be selected.

That's the real problem, isn't it. We've got a few positions where we're well stocked, and others where the future's looking a bit barren.

I reckon we'll probably be going with 1 up top (Griffiths) as we always do, so having 4 first team strikers seems unnecessary, unless they offer different things.. strength, pace etc.. which ours don't. We have 2 guys (in Fletch and Martin) who can come on if we want to go 2 up top and make a nuisance of themselves.. the 4th spot, for me, might as well be used to offer opportunity to young players, as Strachan's done with other positions.

Wondering who else we've got of a young age who we should be offering that encouragement too.. Robbie Muirhead down at MK Dons.. not finding the net much. Jack Harper is well out of the picture right now. Too soon for Stevie May, he's got some gettingback on track to do. Tony Watt not really deserving yet either. An argument could be made for Paul McMullan or Ryan Hardie, but the Scottish Championship is just a really hard level to justify a call up from.

To me, McBurnie is the best young prospect we've got right now. He might not be racking up minutes, but he's come on in all 3 of Swansea's league game so far, and looks big enough and strong enough to be in a battle at international level. 4-1 up (aye) against Malta would be a good time to blood him and give him a taste of international football.

On 28/08/2017 at 2:28 PM, Paulo2576 said:

FFS. Missing the perfect opportunity to phase him out and take in the next generation.

Odd thing to say for two reasons.

I think there's plenty of other faces to go before Morrison.
Darran Fletcher, James McArthur for two.. Brown will probably go first as well as he's not getting any younger.

As for bringing in the next generation.. The squad included Armstrong, Cairney, Bannan and McGinn. So surely the next generation are already in the squad before he was added to it. He's literally replacing Cairney, so...

On 28/08/2017 at 6:52 AM, wellyman said:

Doe's not surprise me about Fletcher -  I would think he has pulled out of more squads than games played !!!

9 goals in 30 games, with 6 of those against Gibraltar  !!!!!!!!! 

Fletch is injured, has been for weeks. So not a big surprise, given that he's also unlikely to play. Better for him that he rests up and is 100% for the next games.

I'm not sure it's fair to say he's always pulling out. He's certainly not one of the name i'd associate with that. 30 caps doesn't seem low for him, especially since we played Kenny Miller up front for half the time he's been available and also figuring in his fall out with Levein.

18 hours ago, andyD said:

Fletch is injured, has been for weeks. So not a big surprise, given that he's also unlikely to play. Better for him that he rests up and is 100% for the next games.

I'm not sure it's fair to say he's always pulling out. He's certainly not one of the name i'd associate with that. 30 caps doesn't seem low for him, especially since we played Kenny Miller up front for half the time he's been available and also figuring in his fall out with Levein.

He played against Fulham on the 19th Aug and scored, so where does the "injured for weeks" come from !!!

I can accept that the Levein issue may have cost him more caps,  we all know Levein has the football knowledge of a slug  -  the Jambo's will be lining up at the weekend to jump off the new Queensferry bridge. :cry:

It just appears to me that when there is a Scotland  squad announced,  within days Fletcher pulls out.

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 6:17 PM, andyD said:

I think there's plenty of other faces to go before Morrison.
Darran Fletcher, James McArthur for two.. Brown will probably go first as well as he's not getting any younger.

McArthur is 2 years younger than Morrison.

On 30/08/2017 at 0:57 PM, wellyman said:

He played against Fulham on the 19th Aug and scored, so where does the "injured for weeks" come from !!!

I can accept that the Levein issue may have cost him more caps,  we all know Levein has the football knowledge of a slug  -  the Jambo's will be lining up at the weekend to jump off the new Queensferry bridge. :cry:

It just appears to me that when there is a Scotland  squad announced,  within days Fletcher pulls out.

He's been playing with an injury and he's said in interviews that he and the club staff are doing their best to manage it. I can find the interview if you like. :)

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I absolutely hate this sort of thing.  We DON'T perform when games don't matter.  It's when games do matter that our best performances happen.  'Not a must win' is exactly what happened in Georgia and at home against Lithuania.

Every game from here is a 'must win'.  A draw is crap result, and just puts unecessary pressure on the game v Slovakia or Slovenia.

Wouldn't it be nice going into the final game knowing a draw was enough because we won tonight?  We treat players like children.

Start the game at 100mph, high tempo and don't let Lithuania into the match.  They did it to us at Hampden and wrote off our entire first half.  So often we're pedestrian in possession.  I've never understood that approach.

8 hours ago, norsefox said:

I absolutely hate this sort of thing.  We DON'T perform when games don't matter.  It's when games do matter that our best performances happen.  'Not a must win' is exactly what happened in Georgia and at home against Lithuania.

Every game from here is a 'must win'.  A draw is crap result, and just puts unecessary pressure on the game v Slovakia or Slovenia.

Wouldn't it be nice going into the final game knowing a draw was enough because we won tonight?  We treat players like children.

Start the game at 100mph, high tempo and don't let Lithuania into the match.  They did it to us at Hampden and wrote off our entire first half.  So often we're pedestrian in possession.  I've never understood that approach.

Exactly right