Scottish SPL Players - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish SPL Players

jamboman

Just wanted to say, fair play to Aberdeen for keeping the scottish core. Bringing players like May, Stewart, Mackay-stevens. and christie in the team and giving them game time. Would love to see more team doing this than random european or mexican player. Hopefully a good season can give these guys the chance to get back in the scotland setup

28 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Nobody other than a Celtic player or a token Hun will get a sniff for Scotland anyway so it doesn't matter.

Apart from McGinn of course who is in most squads.

I can't think of another player that deserves a call-up simply because we have better options playing outside of Scotland. 

2 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I can't think of another player that deserves a call-up simply because we have better options playing outside of Scotland. 

Shinnie should've been given a chance. May when he was at Saints too. There's two off of the top of my head.

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Totally agree but it is still nice to see the sort of "B international class" of Scottish player up here rather than the alternative.

Take it May was a better player before he went south? or can we add him to list of players we scream for but get proved wrong when they move up a level?

12 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Shinnie should've been given a chance. May when he was at Saints too. There's two off of the top of my head.

Shinnie has been good for Aberdeen but he's been up against better players, playing at a better standard, such as Fletcher, McArthur, Morrison and Brown. Shinnie has a lot of competition for a spot in the squad. Adam is a better player but can't get in the squad. 

May has been called up but again, there are better players ahead of him. May struggled in the Championship and we have lots of Championship quality forwards such as Fletcher, Martin and Naismith. McCormack is better than May and he can't get in the squad. 

This idea that players are ignored because they play in Scotland is mental. Patterson and McGinn and others prove that. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

May was constantly injured down South. I wish guys could get their head around that. :banghead:

Do you think Preston would have let him go if they thought he could be successful for them? 

He's not good enough for Scotland. Why can't you get your head around that? 

1 minute ago, PASTA Mick said:

Do you think Preston would have let him go if they thought he could be successful for them? 

He's not good enough for Scotland. Why can't you get your head around that? 

Your opinion and mine differs. We'll see.

5 hours ago, Ormond said:

May was constantly injured down South. I wish guys could get their head around that. :banghead:

He was fit enough to play 51 games, and managed only 8 goals. You can make all the excuses for him you like, he was left out mainly for not performing well enough not just for injuries. It would be a joke to pick him for international football on the back of such mediocre performances in the championship.

Just now, mcnish said:

He was fit enough to play 51 games, and managed only 8 goals. You can make all the excuses for him you like, he was left out mainly for not performing well enough not just for injuries. It would be a joke to pick him for international football on the back of such mediocre performances in the championship.

FFS, nobody is saying he should be picked at this minute. But if he starts rapping in the goals for our second best club he should be in the squad again.

Anderson was the best defender in Scotland for years but didn't get a look in for the national team,

Shinnies been one of the best in the SPL for 2 - 3 years and can't get a call up, McGinn played in the SPFL

yet gets in,  Strachan contradicts himself all the time, he says players have to be playing regularly for club,

he also said players should be playing in their normal position, he then picks players who are not getting club games

and plays players out of position himself. He even picks Forrest ffs. 

14 hours ago, jamboman said:

Just wanted to say, fair play to Aberdeen for keeping the scottish core. Bringing players like May, Stewart, Mackay-stevens. and christie in the team and giving them game time. Would love to see more team doing this than random european or mexican player. Hopefully a good season can give these guys the chance to get back in the scotland setup

McInnes has bought good, just about affordable Scottish players in what is a fairly risk-free strategy. Other managers seem to think they can trawl obscure leagues for gems, but end up getting the sack. Buying players who have proven ability at SPFL level should be the proverbial no brainier for the likes of Aberdeen and it also keeps the money in Scotland.

6 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

Anderson was the best defender in Scotland for years but didn't get a look in for the national team,

Shinnies been one of the best in the SPL for 2 - 3 years and can't get a call up, McGinn played in the SPFL

yet gets in,  Strachan contradicts himself all the time, he says players have to be playing regularly for club,

he also said players should be playing in their normal position, he then picks players who are not getting club games

and plays players out of position himself. He even picks Forrest ffs. 

Are we talking about Russell Anderson? If so he was called up to a lot more squads than people remember but was sent home injured only to play for Aberdeen a week later. The problem for Anderson was Aberdeen kept asking him and a few others during the Calderwood time to play when injured when they really should have been rested. Still got 11 caps I think.

17 hours ago, jamboman said:

Mackay-Steven.  (See also Mary Hopkin.  She must despair.)

On 8/14/2017 at 11:37 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

James Forrest. I'll say no more. 

Ross Wallace and Danny Fox too. He claimed Danny Fox was better than Lee Wallace (while he was at Hearts) as, and i paraphrase, "if Wallace was better than he would be playing for Celtic". You can't reason with, nor take serious the opinion of, someone so blinkered by bias. 

14 hours ago, kumnio said:

Not a big fan of people touting his own teams players for call ups, but Cammy Kerr a right back has come on massively for Dundee, he is the only player for us who I can see winning a cap,

I've liked Cammy Kerr every time i've seen him. Definite potential, however at 22 he needs to be improving sharpish to realise it. Looks like he really loves defending and he can actually tackle, which is rare in a full back. Looks somewhat limited technically though. 

Is that fair? 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

I've liked Cammy Kerr every time i've seen him. Definite potential, however at 22 he needs to be improving sharpish to realise it. Looks like he really loves defending and he can actually tackle, which is rare in a full back. Looks somewhat limited technically though. 

Is that fair? 

Pretty good going forward now, seems to have plenty of energy getting up, but more importantly getting back as well. Crossing isn't great, but it is improving, has good passing and link up play. 

We really lack RBs, think he is worth a look.