New Points Structure For Next Campaign - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New Points Structure For Next Campaign

Gary Stirling

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Agree, those who regularly attend away games (who most of will also attend home games on top of that) will still be ahead on points, so its effectively the SSC reinventing the wheel almost.

Yes.

Those who generally get tickets for away matches will - in this new system - generally get tickets for away matches.

To me, it looks as though they've created another layer of bureaucracy for themselves to no end.

Some people might feel better getting "loyalty points" for attending home matches, but I don't think it will significantly - or even noticeably - change the distribution of Home nor Away tickets.

17 minutes ago, Flure said:

Yes.

Those who generally get tickets for away matches will - in this new system - generally get tickets for away matches.

To me, it looks as though they've created another layer of bureaucracy for themselves to no end.

Some people might feel better getting "loyalty points" for attending home matches, but I don't think it will significantly - or even noticeably - change the distribution of Home nor Away tickets.

Also take into account how many home games we play throughout a year.... 2016 we played 2 home against against 6 away games (granted this year it will 5 homes against 2 away games), and probably find 1 year it looks like you are up a lot (but the away points keep this figure down) while the following year you are majorly down again because we only played a hand full of home games.

20 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Pete, giving a home point would give supporters  a wee hand up to start going to away games . There are a few in our supporters group who would like to have gone to an away game but haven't had the points for say, Lithuania.

What does occur to me is that guys like yourself who live abroad should be given bonus points as you probably can't make all home games .

As I said to a maniac on Facebook, they will have to go to meaningless friendlies etc with a decent allocation to build up points, like everyone else has had to do over the years, not simply roll up to Hampden, get points and all of a sudden think they're entitled to away tickets. 

It's a disgrace of a suggestion. 

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

As I said to a maniac on Facebook, they will have to go to meaningless friendlies etc with a decent allocation to build up points, like everyone else has had to do over the years, not simply roll up to Hampden, get points and all of a sudden think they're entitled to away tickets. 

Will the people who currently get allocated Away tickets suddenly stop going to Away matches to make room for these people who are going to be getting points for Home matches?

Because....
1) The vast majority of people who get tickets for Away matches go to Home matches too, and
2) They're going to be getting points for Home matches as well.

How is the differential going to change?

It's nuts.

5 minutes ago, Flure said:

Will the people who currently get allocated Away tickets suddenly stop going to Away matches to make room for these people who are going to be getting points for Home matches?

Because....
1) The vast majority of people who get tickets for Away matches go to Home matches too, and

It's nuts.

That was my favourite part, for everyone going away, they get 2 points and 1 at home. 

Where's the new guy has attended 5 games and thinks he's got a chance on 5 points, the home and away regulars now have 15 points, so he still wouldn't get one :lol:

Just now, dandydunn said:

That was my favourite part, for everyone going away, they get 2 points and 1 at home. 

Where's the new guy has attended 5 games and thinks he's got a chance on 5 points, the home and away regulars now have 15 points, so he still wouldn't get one :lol:

That's the thing. It's exactly the same system.

You'll get one more point for attending an Away match than you do a Home match.

Like now.

8 minutes ago, Flure said:

Like now.

The only real difference it will make is for example Lithuania went to 3 points at the moment. Some of those who got a ticket might not have because they didn't do Canada at Easter Road.

If the sale process is a nightmare as it is now for the SSC it'll be worse with this. In theory you could have 30 sale periods due to a maximum of 30 points.

I don't think this will actually happen and is just ideas floating around to see what would get most members to renew.

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

This

2 hours ago, Flure said:

Because....

It's nuts.

Plus most members who don't go to away games now are unlikely to start just because of these home points.

21 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

3b: Rewarding Loyalty

Loyalty Points
- Gain 1 point for a home game, last 10 games total (starting from 0)
- Gain 2 points for an away game, your last 10 away games total will be included in this calculation
- Gain 1 point for renewing membership
- Gain 1 point if you’ve been a member for 3 or more campaigns
- New members start at 0 points
- Points ladder dictates priority of access to away ticket
- Home ticket guaranteed with season ticket purchase
- If less than 35,000 members then individual home ticket guaranteed
- If more that 35,000 members then points ladder dictates priority access to home ticket

This is what it's about.

As many have said above it'll make little or no difference to away match points.

It's just the SFA's poor attempt to try and cope with dwindling home crowds by introducing "fake" (and probably mostly meaningless) points.

It's not addressing the cause of of these dwindling crowds.

If Scotland qualify for Euro 2020 Hampden will host 2 of Scotland's group games - this has already been confirmed.

However, the ticket distribution will be done by UEFA. Each team will get an allocation and the SFA will get to distribute the allocation for Scotland fans. There is no way the allocation will be enough for all SSC members. Scotland fans (along with anyone else in the world) will also be able to buy tickets direct from UEFA for all the games (including those taking place at Hampden).

I would be quite happy if the SSC introduced home points. It wont make any difference to me but I have some sympathy for the argument.

It wont make a huge difference to the distribution of away tickets as most of the people who go to the away games also go to the home games.

On 8/17/2017 at 1:18 PM, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

What does occur to me is that guys like yourself who live abroad should be given bonus points as you probably can't make all home games .

Are you at the wind up with that? :lol:

17 hours ago, Flure said:

Because....

It's nuts.

It's not nuts from the SFA's point of view. They think it will help sell more tickets and possibly memberships. They are just trying to gauge how many, if any.

It will feck ex-pats and non central belt fans for Away tickets.

Just because some guys didn't get Away tickets for Dublin. Not good enough reason to change it IMHO.

Crap attendances have been down to -

Product on the park.

Week of Football

Crazy pricing by the SFA.

The SFA can quickly address the latter. And theoretically have a massive hand in the former.

The middle reason we are stuck with, and now big names next campaign will be a bit of a sell.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

50 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

It will feck ex-pats and non central belt fans for Away tickets.

Just because some guys didn't get Away tickets for Dublin. Not good enough reason to change it IMHO.

Crap attendances have been down to -

Product on the park.

Week of Football

Crazy pricing by the SFA.

The SFA can quickly address the latter. And theoretically have a massive hand in the former.

The middle reason we are stuck with, and now big names next campaign will be a bit of a sell.

J

The next campaign (UEFA Nations League) will only be 4 or 6 matches (only 2 or 3 at home). I think they will sell more tickets for these games than they would done have for friendlies. We will be playing teams around the same level as us so we should have a decent chance of winning some.They need to sort out the prices though.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

The next campaign (UEFA Nations League) will only be 4 or 6 matches (only 2 or 3 at home). I think they will sell more tickets for these games than they would done have for friendlies. We will be playing teams around the same level as us so we should have a decent chance of winning some.They need to sort out the prices though.

And this proposal ain't the way to do it.

On 18/08/2017 at 10:53 PM, tartanpar said:

If Scotland qualify for Euro 2020 Hampden will host 2 of Scotland's group games - this has already been confirmed.

However, the ticket distribution will be done by UEFA. Each team will get an allocation and the SFA will get to distribute the allocation for Scotland fans. There is no way the allocation will be enough for all SSC members. Scotland fans (along with anyone else in the world) will also be able to buy tickets direct from UEFA for all the games (including those taking place at Hampden).

I would be quite happy if the SSC introduced home points. It wont make any difference to me but I have some sympathy for the argument.

It wont make a huge difference to the distribution of away tickets as most of the people who go to the away games also go to the home games.

Tickets should be allocated as I would assume they would be for any other tournament we qualify for. Open to 10 points and below and once they have their quota, they go on sale to members with 0 points. 

It is all getting closer to the loyalty points system run by some clubs. You get more points for the games that take more effort but that can be open to debate sometimes and there still exists the issue of harvesting. I fear we're overcomplicating this as a result of a minority of fans moaning about not being able to get a ticket for the likes of Ireland and Germany when in reality they hadn't even considered going to Norway, Poland, etc.

Fair play to the SSC for addressing concerns and asking opinions, not always easy to keep everyone happy or keep it fair.

I don't think the differential between home and away points is big enough. It takes a lot more effort and money to travel to Lithuania than it does to Hampden. That should be acknowledged.

I also think, again if they are giving points for attending home games, that there should some acknowledgement of attendance for those who live outside Scotland and make it to home games. Travelling from London or Holland or Italy takes more effort and money than North Croy or Dalgety Bay. However that then creates even more bureaucracy and record keeping again. 

Final point, and has been stated already, the regular home attender who has never been away is now unlikely to start wanting to go to Serbia or Poland or Belarus. If they had really wanted to follow Scotland away, they would have done so by now.

On 18/08/2017 at 3:44 PM, Flure said:

Like now.

It's not exactly the same. 

Under the current system, someone who has been to 2 or 3 of the last 10 away games will have a better chance of getting an away ticket than someone who has been to every home game but no away games. 

Under the new system, someone who hasn't been to any away games could end up on more points than some people who don't go to home games. 

This isn't necessarily a bad thing but I can see it causing a problem for some people who don't go to home games and don't go to the majority of away games.

On 17/08/2017 at 10:24 PM, scottincarlisle said:

3b: Rewarding Loyalty

Loyalty Points
- Gain 1 point for a home game, last 10 games total (starting from 0)
- Gain 2 points for an away game, your last 10 away games total will be included in this calculation
- Gain 1 point for renewing membership
- Gain 1 point if you’ve been a member for 3 or more campaigns
- New members start at 0 points
- Points ladder dictates priority of access to away ticket
- Home ticket guaranteed with season ticket purchase
- If less than 35,000 members then individual home ticket guaranteed
- If more that 35,000 members then points ladder dictates priority access to home ticket

Isn't membership capped at 35,000? 

If they let it go over that (unlikely with our current record) then they can stick it up their erse. 

I'm not paying 50 bangers per campaign for the possibility of a ticket. 

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It's not exactly the same. 

Under the current system, someone who has been to 2 or 3 of the last 10 away games will have a better chance of getting an away ticket than someone who has been to every home game but no away games. 

Under the new system, someone who hasn't been to any away games could end up on more points than some people who don't go to home games. 

This isn't necessarily a bad thing but I can see it causing a problem for some people who don't go to home games and don't go to the majority of away games.

You're right that it is not the same system but how many people who go to 2 or 3 away games don't go to most home games? I imagine it's incredibly small. That's why those that moan about not getting a chance of an away ticket still have very little chance.

The change in system will make only an incredibly small difference in who gets tickets for example:

1. A couple of people who got the last few Lithuania tickets at 3 points might miss out under the new system because they didn't do Canada friendly at home like someone else on 3 points.
  2. A game that currently goes to 0 or 1 away point will mean a regular home attender won't lose out to someone who is going as a one off (how often does this happen)

I'm not suggesting the change is a bad idea just the impact it makes in who currently gets tickets is small. The only big issue I see is how do you administer the sales process. At the moment you could potentially have 11 sales periods (0 - 10 points). The change could mean 31 (0 - 31 points).