"The Easter Road Parade" - Colour Film of Hibs from c1949/50 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"The Easter Road Parade" - Colour Film of Hibs from c1949/50

Found this on the NLS Moving Image Archive. 

Amazing amateur film shot in colour of the directors, coaching staff and legendary players of Hibs from c1949-1950. Includes shots of Easter Road, players training and matchday footage versus St Mirren at Easter Rd and Rangers at Ibrox. 

http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/8528?search_term=hibernian&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes

Wonderful to see such an informal view of these legends of the Scottish game in their prime and in living colour too.

The players featured are Tommy Younger, Jock Govan, Jimmy Cairns, Hugh Howie, Jock Paterson, Bobby Combe, Gordon Smith, Bobby Johnston, Lawrie Reilly, Eddie Turnbull, Willie Ormond, Davie Shaw, Archie Buchanan, John Ogilvie and Willie Finnigan,

Manager Hugh Shaw and trainers Jimmy McColl and Sammy Kean were also former Hibs players. McColl in particular was a very good player in his day.

Several of those featured sadly died quite young. Younger aged only 53, Buchanan at 55, Combe at 66, Ormond at 57, Shaw at 59 and Howie at just 33, the latter as a result of a car crash.

Looks as though John Ogilvie is still alive.

That laddie Ormond was that good, Saints named a stand after him! 
I hear he is still the only manager to ever bring back Scotland from a World Cup unbeaten? Imagine the fecking outcry nowadays if Tommy Wright got the gig?

Edited by Ormond

56 minutes ago, giblet said:

Tremendous bit of footage. Much appreciated.

interesting the top of the East terracing wasn't open, not sure if it was under construction at that point.

I'm willing to bet they still claimed to have 60,000 in the ground to keep up their reputation though :D

12 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Amazing amateur film shot in colour of the directors, coaching staff and legendary players of Hibs from c1949-1950. Includes shots of Easter Road, players training and matchday footage versus St Mirren at Easter Rd and Rangers at Ibrox. 

http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/8528?search_term=hibernian&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes

Wonderful to see such an informal view of these legends of the Scottish game in their prime and in living colour too.

The players featured are Tommy Younger, Jock Govan, Jimmy Cairns, Hugh Howie, Jock Paterson, Bobby Combe, Gordon Smith, Bobby Johnston, Lawrie Reilly, Eddie Turnbull, Willie Ormond, Davie Shaw, Archie Buchanan, John Ogilvie and Willie Finnigan,

Manager Hugh Shaw and trainers Jimmy McColl and Sammy Kean were also former Hibs players. McColl in particular was a very good player in his day.

Several of those featured sadly died quite young. Younger aged only 53, Buchanan at 55, Combe at 66, Ormond at 57, Shaw at 59 and Howie at just 33, the latter as a result of a car crash.

I stuck it up on Hibs.net and a lot of people appreciating it.   http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?323907-Easter-Road-Parade-Colour-film-of-Hibs-1949

12 hours ago, Ormond said:

Erzatz, I was wondering where you had got to. Shit like this is why you are a massive, staunch-like member of this board.

Thanks Ormond, I've spent the summer hiding from girvanta at a heavily fortified, top secret location just off junction 4 on the M77.

1 hour ago, giblet said:

I stuck it up on Hibs.net and a lot of people appreciating it.   http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?323907-Easter-Road-Parade-Colour-film-of-Hibs-1949

I'm glad you lads enjoyed it. :ok: It's a brilliant little snapshot of Hibs players, directors, staff and ground at that time. 

Just one thing though, I'm not the guy behind the Scotland Epistles magazine or it's facebook page like you posted ! I don't want to steal his thunder :lol:

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Thanks Ormond, I've spent the summer hiding from girvanta at a heavily fortified, top secret location just off junction 4 on the M77.

I'm glad you lads enjoyed it. :ok: It's a brilliant little snapshot of Hibs players, directors, staff and ground at that time. 

Just one thing though, I'm not the guy behind the Scotland Epistles magazine or it's facebook page like you posted ! I don't want to steal his thunder :lol:

haha, oops!

20 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Fantastic stuff, Ersatz. Thanks for linking that up, I'd never have known about it.