Salmond Unleashed - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Salmond Unleashed

Anybody on here been to see the former FM's Fringe show?

Checking the twitter feed and there's been an interesting array of guests so far:-

David Davis, Elaine C Smith, John Bercow, Fatima Manji, David Hayman, Tom Devine, Martin Compston, Neil Lennon, Brian Cox (actor).

I was at Friday's show. Tom Devine was the guest. I thoroughly enjoyed it as did my husband who was more than a little sceptical beforehand. 

Alex Salmond was funny and exceptionally good at making his guest feel comfortable , Tom Devine seemed a little nervous to start with but soon relaxed. The subject of Fridays show was 'Moments in history'.

Sheena Wellington sang a mans a man for a' that as she did at the opening of the Scottish Parliament.  She had a little stumble on the final verse when she mixed up the words , Alex Salmond got up and went over and sang along with her to help her out. He was a complete gentleman.

Whatever you think about his politics you could not fail to be impressed by him. Whilst the show had a few political references it was mainly a relaxing chat show. Janey Godley was also on and very funny. 

Oh, and there was young bloke called Boab who walked  on stage from time to time, who was not too difficult on the eye ?

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I was at Friday's show. Tom Devine was the guest. I thoroughly enjoyed it as did my husband who was more than a little sceptical beforehand. 

Alex Salmond was funny and exceptionally good at making his guest feel comfortable , Tom Devine seemed a little nervous to start with but soon relaxed. The subject of Fridays show was 'Moments in history'.

Sheena Wellington sang a mans a man for a' that as she did at the opening of the Scottish Parliament.  She had a little stumble on the final verse when she mixed up the words , Alex Salmond got up and went over and sang along with her to help her out. He was a complete gentleman.

Whatever you think about his politics you could not fail to be impressed by him. Whilst the show had a few political references it was mainly a relaxing chat show. Janey Godley was also on and very funny. 

Oh, and there was young bloke called Boab who walked  on stage from time to time, who was not too difficult on the eye ?

A burning orphanage is funnier than her

52 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

A burning orphanage is funnier than her

Irony alert ?

She was only on for 5 minutes and did an improvisation which was quite clever.  I dont generally like femaile comedians, none of them usually make me laugh, but she worked well in that for forum. In the evening we seen Jenny Collier who I had never heard of. She was hilarious. 3 large wines is a help right enough. 

55 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Are any of these being recorded at all ?

Tom Devine used to be a staunch unionist years ago didn't he ? Quite a journey he's made.

I'm not sure if they are being recorded, I didnt notice any cameras but I am the most unobservant person on the planet. A car park was being built for 6 months next to the motorway I drove on every day and I didnt notice it till it was finished. 

However at the end of each show there was an auction for 4 people to have a champagne tea with him and his guest in the hotel across the road. He told a funny wee story about him and David Davis crossing the road and in it memtioned that they were 'mic'd up'. So maybe it is recorded.

I dont know Tom Devines political history though he said Wendy Alexander tried to get him to stand for Labour. I liked the fact he clearly admired Alex Salmond but didnt agree with absolutely everything. Alex SAlmond said Wendy Alexander was a hugely underrated politician and gave him a really hard time in the scottish parliament. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

He told a funny wee story about him and David Davis crossing the road and in it memtioned that they were 'mic'd up'. So maybe it is recorded.

Was that the story about the hearse?

He was on the Late Show on STV2 last week and told that one. 

Went to see the first one with David Davies as his guest, was good, Salmond is naturally funny although a fee bit of his script were a little uncomfortable. 

I believe they're all being filmed.