Scottish Super Cup ? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Super Cup ?

Not sure if it's ever been mentioned here let alone by SFA, but would it be a good idea to have a Scottish Super Cup like some other countries do ?

Start of the season league winner v Scottish Cup winner ?

Another wee trip to Hampden (maybe) bathed in sunshine before the season starts.

5 minutes ago, fringo said:

Not sure if it's ever been mentioned here let alone by SFA, but would it be a good idea to have a Scottish Super Cup like some other countries do ?

Another wee trip to Hampden (maybe) bathed in sunshine before the season starts.

Our teams are bogged down with early Euro ties unlike the mega rich who basically buy their way into the latter stages of Europe. 

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

Our teams are bogged down with early Euro ties unlike the mega rich who basically buy their way into the latter stages of Europe. 

I'm sure they could squeeze it in as they don't have the early league cup group games like the rest of Scottish clubs.

Could be a good warm up too rather than meaningless friendlies they play instead.

31 minutes ago, fringo said:

Celtic v Celtic reserves?

31 minutes ago, fringo said:

I'm sure they could squeeze it in as they don't have the early league cup group games like the rest of Scottish clubs.

Could be a good warm up too rather than meaningless friendlies they play instead.

Ultimately it is a friendly though 

I think while we play each other 4 times a season in the league, there's no appetite for it.

I think the most times 2 teams can play each other in Scotland is 11 in one season.

:shocked:

4 x Championship

2 x Championship play off

2 x Scottish cup (1 + replay)

2 x league cup (group + knock out)

1 x ramsdens cup.

That is nuts. Did we not get 7 old firms about 8 years ago by similar circumstances?

I would usually watch an El Classico, but I didn't even know the 2nd leg of the Spanish super cup was on midweek and wouldn't have waited up anyway. I only stumbled on the 1st leg by chance (Although it ended up an interesting game).

Edited by sbcmfc

No. 

It would have to be played in between the Scottish cup winner/runner up competing in Europe, attempting to get through the next sage of this competition is much more important than a glorified friendly for a piece of silverware that has no meaning whatsoever.